New Region and District Managers named

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Those decisions will be made and his stock value affected whether he has that information or not.

I guess I have a different meaning of the word retired, one that does not include the words Region Managers or District Managers.

raceanoncr

[* Note: one is a female African-American so she is reflected twice in the numbers.

Not that it matters to me, I don't care WHAT you are or WHO you are, but watch THIS one. Whilst here, and probably other places as well, she had to have her own "RESERVED" parking spot, the closest one to the entrance, but many times just forsaking policy to just drive in without a check. Should we talk about feeling "entitled"? Should we talk about "walk the walk"? "Do as I say and not as I do"?

Comments?

sosocal

Not that it matters to me, I don't care WHAT you are or WHO you are, but watch THIS one. Whilst here, and probably other places as well, she had to have her own "RESERVED" parking spot, the closest one to the entrance, but many times just forsaking policy to just drive in without a check. Should we talk about feeling "entitled"? Should we talk about "walk the walk"? "Do as I say and not as I do"?

Comments?
that is sooo not cool!!!....Every district manager I have known have always parked where availability lends itself and gone through the guardshack like the rest of us....Once when returning from a customer visit with the district manager he gave up a close parking spot to a parttimer that had obviously jockeyed for the the spot. He turned to me and said- "I need the exercise - she (refering to the partimer) on the other hand looks pretty fit to me.

hangin455

I'm really hesitant to respond but I'm taking Pain Pills while I am passing a kidney stone so I guess I can blame that for lack of good judgment.
UPS concentrates on results and I think that is what the representation of races and sex reflects.
Of the 23 Region/District managers - 9 are African American, 7 are White males, 5 are females, 2 are Hispanic and 1 is Other (maybe Asian-Indian).*
I think we can look at this representation and be proud of our company.

* Note: one is a female African-American so she is reflected twice in the numbers.

And, you are right Upstate, I was giving raw a chance to follow up one bigoted remark with another.

Is it possible that these people were the only ones left after the buyouts?

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
that is sooo not cool!!!....Every district manager I have known have always parked where availability lends itself and gone through the guardshack like the rest of us....Once when returning from a customer visit with the district manager he gave up a close parking spot to a parttimer that had obviously jockeyed for the the spot. He turned to me and said- "I need the exercise - she (refering to the partimer) on the other hand looks pretty fit to me.

I've been through around 6 district managers and it's been about 50/50 as far as them setting up their own reserved parking spots right in front of the door. One thing that has been consistent is that their vehicles have averaged 3x the cost of mine.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Regarding the minority thing discussed in previous comments: I was in more than one meeting where the individual heading up the restructuring scolded us for not being a diverse enough group. He kept telling us that "you people all look alike," so I'm sure that race & gender were significant factors in the selection process. Having said that, I don't think they were the only factors. I expect that the next level of management restructuring will look a lot like what we've seen so far. One major difference appears to be that the next level won't know if they have a job offer before they make their decision to accept the separation offer.

pretzel_man

Regarding the minority thing discussed in previous comments: I was in more than one meeting where the individual heading up the restructuring scolded us for not being a diverse enough group. He kept telling us that "you people all look alike," so I'm sure that race & gender were significant factors in the selection process. Having said that, I don't think they were the only factors. I expect that the next level of management restructuring will look a lot like what we've seen so far. One major difference appears to be that the next level won't know if they have a job offer before they make their decision to accept the separation offer.

I have also been in many meetings where we were scolded for not being diverse enough. I've heard the "white men in white shirts" talk many times.

I didn't like being scolded, but I was proud that our leadership was pushing us to "value diversity".

When I look at the diversity of UPS senior management, I think that's great. Not because of their sex or race, but because the vast majority of them are excellent people.

Myron Grey is outstanding and I would follow is lead any time.

Sure, race and sex was part of the decision, but if the result is having outstanding people AND being diverse, I'm okay with that.

P-Man

island1fox

I have also been in many meetings where we were scolded for not being diverse enough. I've heard the "white men in white shirts" talk many times.

I didn't like being scolded, but I was proud that our leadership was pushing us to "value diversity".

When I look at the diversity of UPS senior management, I think that's great. Not because of their sex or race, but because the vast majority of them are excellent people.

Myron Grey is outstanding and I would follow is lead any time.

Sure, race and sex was part of the decision, but if the result is having outstanding people AND being diverse, I'm okay with that.

P-Man

P-Man,
I realize that this can be a very fiery topic. I happen to value diversity and believe to a certain extent that this makes us better and stronger.
You mentioned M.G. --I know him -think that he is a very nice and capable person --but --
This is where it gets touchy --I loook forward to a world where race and the color of skin makes no difference at all --sadly that may never happen.
I can tell you M.G. --has a great ' powerful and well paid position. I can also tell you -if race was not a factor ---the "Best" person did not get the job.
Ups will use the Balanced -scorecard as a major measurement tool. When M.G. was in Texas --He did a Good job --not the top --but good --when He was transferred to Colorado --the bottom of the BSC is where he sat.
He was "pulled " out by C.D. and went on a PACKAGE LEVEL DETAIL assignment in Corporate.
About two years later --with many District Managers at the very top of the BSC --Mg was promoted to a Region Manager.
If you Look at the last four people in the job MG now holds ---the last 15 yrs have all been black males. The next candidate --one of the three present Region mgrs is also a black male --While placing a high value on diversity --a strong case can be made for reverse discrimination. I have no bad feelings toward M.G. --but truly mourn for many, many, WHITE MALES ----that were highly qualified ,more successful by UPS measurement --but did not recieve the powerful -well paying position because of --what --shall we say sins of the past --that they had nothing to do with.
I hope you see my point --I certainly would not ever prevent a qualified person --regardless of race ,creed or color --a position --my point is --Ups does this --so do many companies --Right or wrong ?? :sad-little:

local804

Very good post Islandfox. I was reading something in the NFL pages this morning about the Rooney rule. They say when a vacancy is open in a head coaching position that a minority must be interviewed before one is picked. Everyone always interviews the black man but what about the other minorities and women. When will this stop? Does a white male use this rule to enter the NBA? enough is enough with the fill in spots per color.

pretzel_man

P-Man,
I realize that this can be a very fiery topic. I happen to value diversity and believe to a certain extent that this makes us better and stronger.
You mentioned M.G. --I know him -think that he is a very nice and capable person --but --
This is where it gets touchy --I loook forward to a world where race and the color of skin makes no difference at all --sadly that may never happen.
I can tell you M.G. --has a great ' powerful and well paid position. I can also tell you -if race was not a factor ---the "Best" person did not get the job.
Ups will use the Balanced -scorecard as a major measurement tool. When M.G. was in Texas --He did a Good job --not the top --but good --when He was transferred to Colorado --the bottom of the BSC is where he sat.
He was "pulled " out by C.D. and went on a PACKAGE LEVEL DETAIL assignment in Corporate.
About two years later --with many District Managers at the very top of the BSC --Mg was promoted to a Region Manager.
If you Look at the last four people in the job MG now holds ---the last 15 yrs have all been black males. The next candidate --one of the three present Region mgrs is also a black male --While placing a high value on diversity --a strong case can be made for reverse discrimination. I have no bad feelings toward M.G. --but truly mourn for many, many, WHITE MALES ----that were highly qualified ,more successful by UPS measurement --but did not recieve the powerful -well paying position because of --what --shall we say sins of the past --that they had nothing to do with.
I hope you see my point --I certainly would not ever prevent a qualified person --regardless of race ,creed or color --a position --my point is --Ups does this --so do many companies --Right or wrong ?? :sad-little:

Island,

Assuming your last sentace was a question to me, I don't know...

I first met MG when he was the head of Center of the Future. I walked away very impressed with him.Since then, I had a chance to work with him many times. Each time, I was more impressed. Maybe I'm easily impressed?

I thought is predecessor JW was outstanding as well. Intelligent, insightful, and tough (but not unfair).

I know that CB is out there, but I am a big fan of GR. He is extremely intelligent and can see a big picture.

I guess time will tell.

P-Man

island1fox

P-Man,
I want to once again, clearly state --that MG is a fine --stand up -well qualified person . The other person I am referring to in the future is GB ---if he is the most qualified and the most successful --by UPS measurements --- fine---I truly hope that very soon in UPS and all companies ---race will no longer be a factor --I do not think that presently this is even fair to minorities. I would believe most would want the job because they are the best --not because of their race. Again -no personal attack on MG --I know him , like him -- I am not surprised that you are impressed with him ---I certainly am not questioning you .
In the present new structure --I wish UPS and M.G. --all the best --with the responsability he now has --in the future if successful --he could be scott's replacement !!

P.S. in my previous post --some statements can make some feel uncomfortable --not what I was trying to do --just looking back at certain events ---normally do not like to do that --much more fun to look ahead !!!:peaceful:

trickpony1

P-Man

Really?
I knew an hourly employee who had a name that sounds somewhat American Indian.
He was approached by management and convinced that his name was spelled differently so as to lead unsuspecting people into believing he was American Indian when, in fact, he is as Caucasion as you can get.
It's got nothing to do with diversity, talent, ability, "outstanding" or any other "buzz" word you can think of.
It's all about quotas and you know it.

Last edited:

island1fox

Local 804,
I agree. If over 75% of the NFL football players are now black --people would say --they tried out --- and were the most talented and best --I have no problem with that ---it is the way it should be.
But some people might say --well if Blacks are only 13.5% of the total U.S. population --why 75% active players . To get more white players lets force teams to hire three white players to every black --regardless of talent or who is best ---obviously I would say that is wrong to do.
I realize this is a very hot topic --I am not a racist --just look forward to the day that MLK spoke about --when all people can be judged not by the color of their skin but by their character and content of their hearts !!!
Affirmative action at one time was necessary --but if all of us can move on united --it would be best for all. Too many generations living and re-living the hate from the past.:happy2:

UPS Lifer

Regardless of results, a team of over represented white males would not be tolerated or allowed.

Seems to me that this comment is just as racist as any other. I think that there is a belief that if you are making a comment about the Caucasian race and especially about males that it is OK to show a superior or prejudiced view against same. Well I am here to tell you it is not OK and it is just as offensive as any other racial statement made. Replace the word "white" with any other in that statement above and most of us would see racist hatred in it. But somehow the word white is less reactionary. Hoke pointed out that white males are no longer in the majority and have not been for some time.

When I started back in 1971, this company was dominated by white males especially in management. You would rarely see a woman in any position except as a clerk or administrative assistant. I watched the company's growth with diversity over the years. During my working years, the most important thing to me was that my boss was fair, tolerant and somebody with the ability to train me and lead our group through good times and bad. I could CARE LESS about what color they were, what sex they were, what their religious views were or what their sexual orientation was. I think UPS has done a hell of a job with diversity. In the process, the company has been elevated to new levels. The only drawback is that it took too long to make it happen. But then, the whole country was struggling with this.... and in some cases, still is.

island1fox

Comments?

raceanoncr,
Let me give you a real life example. A District Manager in a very large district has numerous buildings and much responsability. Parking spaces --first come --first served sounds great ---but ----
This District Manager gets up in the early morning hours to visit and audit the air gateway --after spending a few hours there drives to the nearest package center --meets management and listens and talks with drivers and part-timers to keep his finger on the pulse.
Leaves the center after dispatch and drives very quickly back to the District office which is located in one of the large package divisions to take part in a very important Corporate conference call.
When he arrives at five to eleven :
1. There are no parking spaces left --not because he came to work "late" --but because he has already been working six hours --he parks blocks away and misses the call ---or
2. He pulls into his parking place where he would normally pull into at six o'clock in the morning --when he did not visit the other bldgs.

Question ---- Should we also eliminate AIR FORCE ONE ???
Common sense should tell us --there are some "necessary" perks for some positions !!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
raceanoncr,
Let me give you a real life example. A District Manager in a very large district has numerous buildings and much responsability. Parking spaces --first come --first served sounds great ---but ----
This District Manager gets up in the early morning hours to visit and audit the air gateway --after spending a few hours there drives to the nearest package center --meets management and listens and talks with drivers and part-timers to keep his finger on the pulse.
Leaves the center after dispatch and drives very quickly back to the District office which is located in one of the large package divisions to take part in a very important Corporate conference call.
When he arrives at five to eleven :
1. There are no parking spaces left --not because he came to work "late" --but because he has already been working six hours --he parks blocks away and misses the call ---or
2. He pulls into his parking place where he would normally pull into at six o'clock in the morning --when he did not visit the other bldgs.

Question ---- Should we also eliminate AIR FORCE ONE ???
Common sense should tell us --there are some "necessary" perks for some positions !!
I can agree with that. For most of us hourlies the parking lot is just a convenient place to leave our cars during our shift, and parking close to the building in nice but not essential. For someone who has to leave and return multiple times a day as part of their job, it makes perfect sense to have a reserved spot closer to the building.

pretzel_man

Really?
I knew an hourly employee who had a name that sounds somewhat American Indian.
He was approached by management and convinced that his name was spelled differently so as to lead unsuspecting people into believing he was American Indian when, in fact, he is as Caucasion as you can get.
It's got nothing to do with diversity, talent, ability, "outstanding" or any other "buzz" word you can think of.
It's all about quotas and you know it.
I've hired and promoted many, many people in my career. Not once, was I told I had a quota. I WAS asked to look hard to ensure I was giving all minorities a chance. That never impacted a decision.

P-Mna