New Scanners for Preloaders

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I don't want to use my DIAD , I would be much more efficient without it.
I was around when we first got DIAD and we actually had drivers that thought that. I helped with the training in some other centers because the younger guys caught on quick but the older guys were intimidated by the tech. I always told them if they could work a calculator, they could work a DIAD.

I was around when we first got DIAD and we actually had drivers that thought that. I helped with the training in some other centers because the younger guys caught on quick but the older guys were intimidated by the tech. I always told them if they could work a calculator, they could work a DIAD.
I miss paper records. I was always perfect.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What would be funny is if some of these kids had to run a route old school. No ORION. No EDD. No DIAD. It would be fun to watch.

I was at the building for some reason on a Saturday morning and there was a new driver who almost started crying when he was told that there is no EDD on Saturdays and that he would have to deliver the load "old school".

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was at the building for some reason on a Saturday morning and there was a new driver who almost started crying when he was told that there is no EDD on Saturdays and that he would have to deliver the load "old school".

For "some reason"?

I can't wait to see the replies to this.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
train-wreck-2.gif

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I was close one day. They brought me a new DIAD out but forget to download EDD lol
My old center manager had another building he ran where a seasonal went out last year without downloading EDD. He was delivering in the same town as the center, a town the size of my thumb. But instead of going back half a mile and downloading EDD, he just did 150 manual overrides.

dudebro

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm completely against these. From what I was told by my sup after refusing to use the things two days in a row, they are supposed to reduce miss loads down to zero and they give the customer a better experience with tracking. The latter is complete bs, there's no difference between what we're doing now and when it was scanned earlier in the process by the primary (if anyone would like to explain what he meant by this better, I'd be glad to read it).

Now the miss load part I understand, but I haven't had a miss load in three months.

This thing completely slowed me down. I don't really have a point here, just venting. I know that I can't get fired for this, but that's not what I'm worried about. I actually enjoyed my job and I worked hard to get the standing I have. Now I'm just average at best.

1) When it's scanned in the primary now, it's marked as "out for delivery" whether it actually gets to the car or not. In theory this should be perfect, but in reality it could be caught in a belt, fall under a boxline, wherever. We're pushing the "follow my driver" feature for customers, let's say one of our customers stays home from work and follows the driver on their app, based on the out for delivery scan.

The driver passes the customers' house, so the customer goes and finds the driver and says "Where's my package, it says out for delivery?" Driver doesn't have it. This would be frustrating. It would be even more upsetting if you called the center, and the OMS proceeded to explain "logical" vs. "physical" scans to you. You don't care, it said "out for delivery". Scanning the package TO THE VEHICLE minimizes the chance this could happen.

2) Maybe not, but preloads in large buildings have demonstrated that we cut 2/3rd of the service defects with preload scanning. And for perfect loaders such as yourself, the visibility aspect (point 1 above) is just as important.

3) All the hub people felt like you did in 1994-1996, when we started scanning in the trailers. Now, everyone scans, and there are a LOT fewer misloads than there were before smart scanning.

4) I have no idea why you think scanning the preload packages "screws" with the driver. The driver's job is not affected, other than, there will be a lot fewer misloads on the package car overall (maybe not YOU, but overall).

I read the comments that drivers send back to the centers in ODSe. Some of them really get irritated about misloads, especially when the misload in question in the latest Bowflex and weighs 135 lbs, and I can't blame them for that.