New Scanners for Preloaders

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
According to this morning's PCM, our satellite center only had 1 misload with the new scanners.

This was an improvement from Monday where we had 1 misload without the scanners.

dudebro

Satellite center. Ask the drivers in the larger facilities what has been happening.

Also - visibility is still better. Links to the car are more reliable.

Luxoric

Junkrat Main
1) When it's scanned in the primary now, it's marked as "out for delivery" whether it actually gets to the car or not. In theory this should be perfect, but in reality it could be caught in a belt, fall under a boxline, wherever. We're pushing the "follow my driver" feature for customers, let's say one of our customers stays home from work and follows the driver on their app, based on the out for delivery scan.

The driver passes the customers' house, so the customer goes and finds the driver and says "Where's my package, it says out for delivery?" Driver doesn't have it. This would be frustrating. It would be even more upsetting if you called the center, and the OMS proceeded to explain "logical" vs. "physical" scans to you. You don't care, it said "out for delivery". Scanning the package TO THE VEHICLE minimizes the chance this could happen.

2) Maybe not, but preloads in large buildings have demonstrated that we cut 2/3rd of the service defects with preload scanning. And for perfect loaders such as yourself, the visibility aspect (point 1 above) is just as important.

3) All the hub people felt like you did in 1994-1996, when we started scanning in the trailers. Now, everyone scans, and there are a LOT fewer misloads than there were before smart scanning.

4) I have no idea why you think scanning the preload packages "screws" with the driver. The driver's job is not affected, other than, there will be a lot fewer misloads on the package car overall (maybe not YOU, but overall).

I read the comments that drivers send back to the centers in ODSe. Some of them really get irritated about misloads, especially when the misload in question in the latest Bowflex and weighs 135 lbs, and I can't blame them for that.

Thanks, that explains a lot actually. But the last part, I was responding to someone else that jokingly said I should misload on purpose to show the scanning doesn't help. I said I wouldn't even want to do that because it would screw with my drivers.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
4) I have no idea why you think scanning the preload packages "screws" with the driver. The driver's job is not affected, other than, there will be a lot fewer misloads on the package car overall (maybe not YOU, but overall).
Maybe because getting the package on the right car isn't the only thing a preloader is responsible for? If the scanners take time away from them being able to load the cars the way they should be loaded, then it does "screw" with the driver.
3) All the hub people felt like you did in 1994-1996, when we started scanning in the trailers. Now, everyone scans, and there are a LOT fewer misloads than there were before smart scanning.
No, everyone doesn't scan in the hubs. Here, the scanners are only forced on the people who habitually have high misload numbers.
This is probably the way it should be used in the preload as well, and it probably will be this way after the technological flavor of the moment has worn off, just like it did in the hub.

dudebro

Maybe because getting the package on the right car isn't the only thing a preloader is responsible for? If the scanners take time away from them being able to load the cars the way they should be loaded, then it does "screw" with the driver.

There are operations where it's taking no time, and some where it takes a little. None of the methods for what a driver's load should look like have changed due to scanning, and preloads are still supposed to finish prior to driver start.

No, everyone doesn't scan in the hubs. Here, the scanners are only forced on the people who habitually have high misload numbers.
This is probably the way it should be used in the preload as well, and it probably will be this way after the technological flavor of the moment has worn off, just like it did in the hub.

You're just wrong on this one. Every loader scans. Hub productivity is based on scanned volume, and I'm surprised you'd argue that operations sups are not doing something this easy to hit their production goals.

The visibility component is just as important as the misloads. It's not a flavor of the moment, customers expect to be able to follow their packages through the system electronically, and that's not changing.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You're just wrong on this one. Every loader scans. Hub productivity is based on scanned volume, and I'm surprised you'd argue that operations sups are not doing something this easy to hit their production goals.
Every package is scanned, because the hub is automated.
Every loader DOES NOT scan. End of story.
What temperature is the AC set to in your office?

dudebro

You're not making any sense.

If the hub is automated, then why would someone give the loader a scanner due to misloads? How could they have "high misload numbers"?

upschuck

SDWC?

Why would they be on the car?
In places with boxlines, pkgs are placed in them as early as 10am, if someone calls for that package after they get placed there, it will go for a ride the next day, but if scanned and caught, a lot better service for customers.

Luxoric

Junkrat Main
Every package is scanned, because the hub is automated.
Every loader DOES NOT scan. End of story.
What temperature is the AC set to in your office?
I mean, you're just wrong. Every preloader at my building has to scan each and every package for their individual pull, regardless of how well they've done in the past. Reason being because now the packages aren't marked as out for delivery until a preloader scans them. It is not going to change anytime soon either, they've spent too much money on the system.

Do these scanners also pull w/c? I thought and stated this years ago that this should be done
As long as the system is updated before it's scanned, then yes. It will treat it like a misload, beeping and flashing red until it's dealt with.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I mean, you're just wrong. Every preloader at my building has to scan each and every package for their individual pull, regardless of how well they've done in the past. Reason being because now the packages aren't marked as out for delivery until a preloader scans them. It is not going to change anytime soon either, they've spent too much money on the system.
So because every preloader in your center scans every package, that means every hub worker loading trailers across the entire country scans every package like he claimed?

He claimed every hub worker started scanning every package in the 90's. I just pointed out he's wrong, and that our hub is automated. Then he proceeded to ask me why in the world an automated hub would ever have misloads. Which tells me he probably works in an air conditioned office somewhere and has no clue what actually goes on.

dudebro

I've worked in more operations than you have fingers and toes. I simply stopped, because not only are you wrong, you're militant about it, so there's just no point.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I've worked in more operations than you have fingers and toes. I simply stopped, because not only are you wrong, you're militant about it, so there's just no point.
I'm not being "militant", I'm telling you what happens here, and you're telling me I'm wrong and you know everything that happens everywhere in this company.

I know what happens where I work and you don't. So you're right, there is no point in arguing with some pompous management shill.

Luxoric

Junkrat Main
So because every preloader in your center scans every package, that means every hub worker loading trailers across the entire country scans every package like he claimed?

He claimed every hub worker started scanning every package in the 90's. I just pointed out he's wrong, and that our hub is automated. Then he proceeded to ask me why in the world an automated hub would ever have misloads. Which tells me he probably works in an air conditioned office somewhere and has no clue what actually goes on.

No, what I meant is that the buildings that are implementing it require everyone to use it. Your original comment didn't specify every hub, so it was implied that you meant the ones that are implementing the technology. I don't know nor care about the other guy and what he said.