New Scanners for Preloaders

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I think he was wondering if the system is updated before the add/cut pages are given to the preloaders so that when they go to scan the adds the system will show that they do indeed belong on that car.
Yes...you associate a printer to the scanner...then when the add cut packages are found...each barcode is rescanned...and it will print an updated PAL label reflecting the change. We are no longer allowed to just cross out pals and write new ones for add/cuts....they have to be rescanned.

dudebro

The preload smart scan system knows about add cuts the instant the PDS hits submit on one. Part of the learning curve is sometimes you'll see a package SPAd for load 136 and you'll go to scan it and the scanner will tell you it's a misload. Look at the HIN on the scanner you'll see it returning, say, 135-xxxx. People think the scanner is wrong. 5 minutes later, here comes the center with the add cut printout moving that package.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The preload smart scan system knows about add cuts the instant the PDS hits submit on one. Part of the learning curve is sometimes you'll see a package SPAd for load 136 and you'll go to scan it and the scanner will tell you it's a misload. Look at the HIN on the scanner you'll see it returning, say, 135-xxxx. People think the scanner is wrong. 5 minutes later, here comes the center with the add cut printout moving that package.
Find the small square on the right side of a PAL label...if it has the letter "A" in the box....it is part of an add cut.

dudebro

Find the small square on the right side of a PAL label...if it has the letter "A" in the box....it is part of an add cut.

I'm referring to packages that are added/cut after they are labeled at the SPA machines. The ones that are part of an add/cut while they're riding the belts.

PT Car Washer

And no one followed the load chart, and the crayon was never used to mark the stop count sheet, really.

The place ran on what we call "tribal knowledge".
My stop counts were always within 10 and most times 5 which was MAR. No misloads. Seems to me the place ran pretty well "tribal knowledge". Are you saying 80+ misloads a day, drivers never knowing how their truck is going to be loaded from day to day managers never knowing who will show up to work day to day, PT sups with 2 weeks experience training new hires who skip out at break or never show up a second day, a better system?

dudebro

My stop counts were always within 10 and most times 5 which was MAR. No misloads. Seems to me the place ran pretty well "tribal knowledge". Are you saying 80+ misloads a day, drivers never knowing how their truck is going to be loaded from day to day managers never knowing who will show up to work day to day, PT sups with 2 weeks experience training new hires who skip out at break or never show up a second day, a better system?
Not necessarily, but all of the technology items customers expect from us don't work very well with the old system. SurePost redirects, same day will calls, intercepts, alt delivery to lockers, creation of one-off bulk loads when there's an international shipment from China, etc.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm referring to packages that are added/cut after they are labeled at the SPA machines. The ones that are part of an add/cut while they're riding the belts.
So was I....you guys don't use little mobile wireless printers that link to the scanners? We can rescan and print the new PAL labels for add cuts right in the truck as you locate the packages.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm completely against these. From what I was told by my sup after refusing to use the things two days in a row, they are supposed to reduce miss loads down to zero and they give the customer a better experience with tracking. The latter is complete bs, there's no difference between what we're doing now and when it was scanned earlier in the process by the primary (if anyone would like to explain what he meant by this better, I'd be glad to read it). Now the miss load part I understand, but I haven't had a miss load in three months. I just hate that because of other people not being able to do the job well enough, either because they physically can't or they just don't want to, so I get punished and have to wear this horrible piece of technology. I was one of the building's best preloaders, loading my four cars everyday at well over 275 pieces per hour. My drivers were always saying how much better it was to have me than the guy that was here before, and now this thing comes along and I can barely finish the job by 9 o'clock. They say they understand and even help me now by coming in earlier and loading/sorting the mess of packages that are almost guaranteed to be 1/10 damages. This thing completely slowed me down. I don't really have a point here, just venting. I know that I can't get fired for this, but that's not what I'm worried about. I actually enjoyed my job and I worked hard to get the standing I have. Now I'm just average at best.
275 pieces an hour. What are you loading envelopes?

dudebro

So was I....you guys don't use little mobile wireless printers that link to the scanners? We can rescan and print the new PAL labels for add cuts right in the truck as you locate the packages.
Ah. Conventional sorts still use the iSPA printers. With the new system it isn't necessary, the loader can cross out the SPA label and just write the new seq number.