New Single System

Oldfart

I had some good mgrs over the years, including a woman senior mgr I'd go to war for. What else you want to twist? You know what? You got in early, worked yourself into a cake route, have been cruising all these years in the same location, and wouldn't know hard work if it bit you on the ass. Which is exactly why your opinion doesn't matter.
How is that tent working out for you?

When exactly did you see your wife last?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I had a torn up stomach one time, must've went to the john 6 or 7 times that day. She very seriously demanded what was I up to. ds.
That’s when you should’ve hopped up on top of her desk, dropped pants, squatted down and demonstrated to her what you were up to.

Some folks just need to be shown.

vantexan

Yeah, my old manager tried to get me to drive on my own time to lunch too. Nope. Not gonna do it. I refuse to let them intimidate me. You let them intimidate you.
I've posted my name, I.D.#, and station several times on this forum. Got into a heated discussion with a director over pay at a station meeting. Have personally written to Fred S about being forced to work 6 days a week to get my minimum. On Fedexaminer I reported management putting pkgs in U.S. Mail to keep me from getting overtime. Posted my name and I.D.# with that. Resulted in a firing and a demotion. Just how intimidated do you think I was? My last manager frustrated me because my integrity and honesty were being questioned. It wasn't just a matter of signing off on some sheet with her. It wasn't the primary reason I retired but it did influence me. The company put a lot of pressure to perform on mgrs and I managed to transfer into some situations where managers were willing to take risks to make their numbers look good. I threatened a GFT over the U.S. Mail thing. I wasn't intimidated, knew they were way out of bounds. But I do wish I hadn't been so nice about it. I didn't want to see anyone fired over it so took senior mgr's offer to transfer if I didn't file GFT. A couple years later I finally got a transfer into a place I had tried several times. Turned out he was the new senior there, and he blocked my transfer. I then posted what I did on FedExaminer. The fact is I've transferred into situations that few couriers have experienced. Have you ever heard of a courier being threatened with having his hourly pay reduced if he didn't keep his route to under 40 hrs? Happened to a co-worker of mine. Guy was scared. Have you ever had a mgr collude with a courier to take hours away from one courier and give to that other courier? Happened to me shortly after transferring into Amarillo, TX. Manager told me I was B rt in loop, had to give A rt anything she wanted. Topped out courier making considerably more than me, kept demanding more and more freight. She's getting 45+ hrs, I'm getting 36-37. Then another ops mgr spilled the beans by accident, found out I was A rt and she was supposed to be giving me freight when I was light. Caused quite a bit of consternation when I confronted her. Intimidated? Not me.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
How is that tent working out for you?

When exactly did you see your wife last?
200.gif

Oldfart

I've posted my name, I.D.#, and station several times on this forum. Got into a heated discussion with a director over pay at a station meeting. Have personally written to Fred S about being forced to work 6 days a week to get my minimum. On Fedexaminer I reported management putting pkgs in U.S. Mail to keep me from getting overtime. Posted my name and I.D.# with that. Resulted in a firing and a demotion. Just how intimidated do you think I was? My last manager frustrated me because my integrity and honesty were being questioned. It wasn't just a matter of signing off on some sheet with her. It wasn't the primary reason I retired but it did influence me. The company put a lot of pressure to perform on mgrs and I managed to transfer into some situations where managers were willing to take risks to make their numbers look good. I threatened a GFT over the U.S. Mail thing. I wasn't intimidated, knew they were way out of bounds. But I do wish I hadn't been so nice about it. I didn't want to see anyone fired over it so took senior mgr's offer to transfer if I didn't file GFT. A couple years later I finally got a transfer into a place I had tried several times. Turned out he was the new senior there, and he blocked my transfer. I then posted what I did on FedExaminer. The fact is I've transferred into situations that few couriers have experienced. Have you ever heard of a courier being threatened with having his hourly pay reduced if he didn't keep his route to under 40 hrs? Happened to a co-worker of mine. Guy was scared. Have you ever had a mgr collude with a courier to take hours away from one courier and give to that other courier? Happened to me shortly after transferring into Amarillo, TX. Manager told me I was B rt in loop, had to give A rt anything she wanted. Topped out courier making considerably more than me, kept demanding more and more freight. She's getting 45+ hrs, I'm getting 36-37. Then another ops mgr spilled the beans by accident, found out I was A rt and she was supposed to be giving me freight when I was light. Caused quite a bit of consternation when I confronted her. Intimidated? Not me.
The tears were rolling down my face so strong I had trouble reading your post. After I compose myself I will attempt to read it again.

vantexan

How did you get fired AND demoted?
I didn't. Manager got fired, senior manager demoted, for putting pkgs in U.S. Mail to keep me from getting overtime. Director wanted zero overtime but they had created this huge area that they thought could be done in 40 hours because casual was doing it. They didn't realize she was driving on all of her lunch breaks and driving extremely fast. Once got a ticket for doing 95 mph on I-10. But in her own vehicle so they didn't know. They told her if no one applied they would make her permanent full-time. She had been a part-time casual out there for 11 years. I applied, used me to drop her because she didn't get along with mgr. I started getting 43-47 hours and they threatened to fire me. It came out what she had been doing. So they left me alone for a little bit but them came up with idea to use station discretionary fund to mail pkgs in about 8 of my zipcodes, including one of my main towns. Drove me under 35 hours and they falsified my timecards to make it look like I was just over 35. Mgr started threatening me to go along with it and I mean threatened me. I said I was going to file GFT, senior called me at home, after a lot of BSing he admitted he didn't have permission to mail pkgs. Offered to let me transfer if I dropped the GFT. You know the rest.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Of course you'll say otherwise, but I suspect if you had worked hard, posted good numbers for many years, and suddenly had a manager questioning what you do every day as if you may be taking advantage, it grates on you.

It hasn't bothered me much in the past and it still doesn't to this day. Most of the jobs I've had required that everyone be able to thoroughly explain and justify the work they did and the decisions they made. Some people don't like it. I loved it because it allowed me to show off.

I had a torn up stomach one time, must've went to the john 6 or 7 times that day. She very seriously demanded what was I up to. It would've never come up with other managers. This is the same manager who wouldn't give me the week off with pay to move up from AZ to KS. Every other transfer I've taken I always got paid time off, usually a week, to move and get settled. Put a real strain on my finances and before you say it we moved there to be close to my wife's kids. This mgr would monitor what we did through the day and tell me the stops I should've given up to next courier over. It's on my route, that courier was topped out, I was struggling week to week on pay, but all that mattered was her numbers, and her budget.

If she doesn't keep a handle on her numbers/budget, who will? I appreciate a super-considerate and kindhearted boss as much as the next guy, but a manager who doesn't keep a grip on his responsibilities will become an ex-boss quicker than one who does.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I pointed out that I was entitled up to 5 minutes. Not at that station she said. Just one amongst a number of things. When I slipped and fell and got injured I asked her if I would get my payment by that next payday. She assured me she would call and take care of it. She didn't. I got in her face about that. When they started again requiring we turn in sales leads I told her I wasn't going to participate. This was about 2 months before I retired. She threatened to fire me. I told her go ahead.

Yep, you fit the profile.

59 Dano

Got into a heated discussion with a director over pay at a station meeting. Have personally written to Fred S about being forced to work 6 days a week to get my minimum.

ROTFLMAO!!!! I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall at that meeting and to read that email.

On Fedexaminer I reported management putting pkgs in U.S. Mail to keep me from getting overtime. Posted my name and I.D.# with that. Resulted in a firing and a demotion. Just how intimidated do you think I was? My last manager frustrated me because my integrity and honesty were being questioned. It wasn't just a matter of signing off on some sheet with her. It wasn't the primary reason I retired but it did influence me. The company put a lot of pressure to perform on mgrs and I managed to transfer into some situations where managers were willing to take risks to make their numbers look good. I threatened a GFT over the U.S. Mail thing. I wasn't intimidated, knew they were way out of bounds. But I do wish I hadn't been so nice about it. I didn't want to see anyone fired over it so took senior mgr's offer to transfer if I didn't file GFT. A couple years later I finally got a transfer into a place I had tried several times. Turned out he was the new senior there, and he blocked my transfer. I then posted what I did on FedExaminer. The fact is I've transferred into situations that few couriers have experienced. Have you ever heard of a courier being threatened with having his hourly pay reduced if he didn't keep his route to under 40 hrs? Happened to a co-worker of mine. Guy was scared. Have you ever had a mgr collude with a courier to take hours away from one courier and give to that other courier? Happened to me shortly after transferring into Amarillo, TX. Manager told me I was B rt in loop, had to give A rt anything she wanted. Topped out courier making considerably more than me, kept demanding more and more freight. She's getting 45+ hrs, I'm getting 36-37. Then another ops mgr spilled the beans by accident, found out I was A rt and she was supposed to be giving me freight when I was light. Caused quite a bit of consternation when I confronted her. Intimidated? Not me.

Wow. Just... wow.

vantexan

ROTFLMAO!!!! I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall at that meeting and to read that email.

Wow. Just... wow.
Got a reply from regional V.P. after Fred's secretary was advised by Fred to look into it. I realize you management types worship the ground your bosses walk on. Being a lowly hourly I had nothing to lose. Got the idea after a coworker complained directly to Fred about the company's hair policy. Fred called him personally to tell him he had to get a haircut. He said it was like getting a call from God, lol.

vantexan

It hasn't bothered me much in the past and it still doesn't to this day. Most of the jobs I've had required that everyone be able to thoroughly explain and justify the work they did and the decisions they made. Some people don't like it. I loved it because it allowed me to show off.

If she doesn't keep a handle on her numbers/budget, who will? I appreciate a super-considerate and kindhearted boss as much as the next guy, but a manager who doesn't keep a grip on his responsibilities will become an ex-boss quicker than one who does.
Oh she ran the place like a top and has numerous awards on her wall for doing so. But I've never caused a manager to blow his budget anywhere. My numbers always benefited them. But not good enough for her. She was determined to eke out every nickel. But telling me I couldn't have that first week off because I wasn't her employee yet was baloney. When people move 1000 miles at their own expense to fill a route you need filled you take care of them. At least every other mgr I dealt with felt that way.

59 Dano

Oh she ran the place like a top and has numerous awards on her wall for doing so. But I've never caused a manager to blow his budget anywhere. My numbers always benefited them. But not good enough for her. She was determined to eke out every nickel. But telling me I couldn't have that first week off because I wasn't her employee yet was baloney. When people move 1000 miles at their own expense to fill a route you need filled you take care of them. At least every other mgr I dealt with felt that way.

How could she give you a week off when you didn't work for her? Why didn't the manager you were leaving give you a week off?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

giphy.gif

Last edited:

vantexan

Nothing like someone with utterly no idea whatsoever how to pick his battles and even less of an idea how to wage them. BUT YOU SHOWED THEM.
I didn't show anyone. I just went to the top. Manager who rehired me told me if I took the evening part time pickup route I would be the one part timer who'd get extra hours. He never called me in early except once. The morning part timers all got plenty of extra hours helping full timers. I finally went and got another part time job at local newspaper working over night. Since I didn't start work until 1330 at FedEx thought it would work out well. Let him know that I was no longer available in the mornings. He got about 6 inches from my face, his face all beet red, and screamed at me that I was ungrateful for him rehiring me. Turned out he had failed his DOT physical 3 times for hypertension. He didn't want to work me unless he had to, but wanted me to be 100% available to him. I was shocked. Told a senior courier that I was thinking of GFTing it, who promptly went and told mgr. He called me into office, was super nice, apologized. Over the next two months he asked me repeatedly what would it take to get me to quit other job. I kept telling him make me full-time. He finally posted a full-time swing. I was the only one to apply. Took me into office and said job was mine, but here's the deal. We're slow in the summer, can't give you full-time hours. You can take job now, but you'll have to accept less than 35 hours. At end of summer when things pick up you'll get more hours. If you don't take it now though I'll have to give it to former swing who comes off disability at end of month. Assured me that I'll easily get 40+ at end of summer. Came in next day, he had offer letter waiting for me. Asked where was the waiver of my hours for me to sign. Oh, nothing to sign, just a little agreement between you and me. At end of summer I asked would I start getting more hours. I had weeks where I only got 27 and most weeks managed about 35 if I volunteered for Saturday too. So had worked 6 days a week for months. He laughed in my face and walked away. I was posting best numbers in station by the way. I tried to file GFT, he asked me to drop it. Told him I needed to at least talk to personnel. He gave me her number, called later on my lunch, and she said she had just gotten off phone with him and our senior. Said my 6 days a week was something I couldn't GFT. Station needs. I told her about the screaming in my face, and that I was only person being forced to do this. When she saw I was going through with it she said if you'll drop the matter I'll make sure you'll get 40 hours Monday-Friday. So from there forward I got hours. But there was the matter of all those weeks that I had less than 35 Monday through Friday. Mgr was putting into system each week that I had waived my minimum guarantee. When I transferred I wrote to Fred's office saying I should have been paid for all the hours less than 35. He referred it to Southern region V.P. who talked to mgr. Then told me that while my former mgr admitted how he made me full-time was incorrect, he saw no evidence of abuse other than my own opinion. That was based on his conversation with the mgr only. He then told me a week is seven days, not 5, and plenty of employees get their guarantee on more than 5 days. And since I volunteered for Saturday they could use that towards my guarantee. He did have me paid for the two weeks I didn't work Saturday. And that was that. Former mgr was eventually told to take buyout or get fired, his choice.

Last edited:

vantexan

How could she give you a week off when you didn't work for her? Why didn't the manager you were leaving give you a week off?
The first week I would be there I would be her employee. Every other transfer I took it was no problem and most seemed happy to help me get there. The manager of station you leave is entitled to keep you up to 30 days after you sign offer letter. Helps him with replacing outgoing courier. I went to him, said luckily a courier had just canceled time off that week, and he could give me two days off. So moved 1000 miles on a long weekend.