new UPSer here

hi all, just joined the UPS team last week working p-t preload...just wanted to come by and say hi to all and see how many women work the morning preload?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
hi all, just joined the UPS team last week working p-t preload...just wanted to come by and say hi to all and see how many women work the morning preload?
When I started I was in preload, for about 1 year. It took me 6/8 months to get really really good at loading my trucks. I don't mean just getting by good. Thank god I went to driving. LOL
Right now our preload has 2 loaders that are women.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

thanks passyouby...i'll try not to catch the bad attitude at all...my center seems decent to work for...its small, so maybe they are better off than the larger hubs...we'll see!

(assuming you're union and depending on the atmosphere of your region)

If you want to join a team, work in a hub.

If you want to join a us vs them enviornment, work in a small center.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.... but one thing is for sure; you will never, ever do well enough in a small center. too many managers with too few employees makes for micromanagement issues.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was preload for most of my 8 ptime yrs.
It was a blast. Much more fun than now:surprised:
we always made the best of it, and I worked with an excellent bunch of guys and gals. We fought the elements of getting to work at 3 am with snowstorms, we put the loads out with no power for 4 days one time. It was a comraderie thing, and I think you get more of that in a small center. Plus back then of course they worried about numbers, but not like now, and they rewarded us when we achieved the impossible. Even if it was donuts or a cookout, they never forgot, and appreciated us more then.

helenofcalifornia

I worked preload too and loved all but the last year. For some reason, I had a hard time getting up those early hours the last year and was grateful to go driving when you wake up at a decent hour. Of course, you don't get home at a decent hour. Don't worry about those sore muscles, you will soon have buff arms. Good luck!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I worked preload too and loved all but the last year. For some reason, I had a hard time getting up those early hours the last year and was grateful to go driving when you wake up at a decent hour. Of course, you don't get home at a decent hour. Don't worry about those sore muscles, you will soon have buff arms. Good luck!
Yeah and no batwing biceps :smart:

LKLND3380

Yeah because without the union you are nothing. Now give them part of each one of your paychecks or else.

TSG, when did the Tech people join the union?

Without the union I honestly believe UPS would:
  • Pay minimum wage (they are pretty close in some states)
  • No benefits for PTmers
  • Fire employees ANYTIME (ask your Supes)
  • Pay for your own insurance like most companies
  • Look at the way FedEx does things - UPS would love to use that model
Figure what you would pay for insurance and what you pay for union dues.

ImpactedTSG

TSG, when did the Tech people join the union?

Without the union I honestly believe UPS would:
  • Pay minimum wage (they are pretty close in some states)
  • No benefits for PTmers
  • Fire employees ANYTIME (ask your Supes)
  • Pay for your own insurance like most companies
  • Look at the way FedEx does things - UPS would love to use that model
Figure what you would pay for insurance and what you pay for union dues.
I am not in TSG any more, I am not even at UPS any more, and I would never ever join a union. Maybe without the union, UPS stock would go up like FDX does.

W

westsideworma

Maybe without the union, UPS stock would go up like FDX does.

Maybe, but fedex has a whole boatload of other issues to deal with (IRS fines, back taxes, worker reclassification suits, etc). I'd like to see their stock after all that. Then I may believe it. A union at FDX could have prevented those reclassification lawsuits and resulting backtaxes. At the same time maybe it would have sunk them, I don't really know. It seems to work for us though.