New Vacation Bidding

doodlebug

Looks like, most of the days around certain holidays, will be blacked out. This is for FY '19. Anyone else know about this ... (I wasn't supposed to see the paperwork, a certain mgr. had on his desk ... oopsss)

Black Out Dates:

November 19-21, 2018 and November 26-28, 2018
December 03-24, 2018

Vacation reduced to only 50% of people off on these dates 2018:

June 1, July 5, September 4-7, November 23, December 26-31

In 2019:

January 3, February 12-13, May 9-10, May 28-30

So much for scheduling your vacation, on a holiday week to get that "extra day".

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Looks like, most of the days around certain holidays, will be blacked out. This is for FY '19. Anyone else know about this ... (I wasn't supposed to see the paperwork, a certain mgr. had on his desk ... oopsss)

Black Out Dates:

December 03-24, 2018

In 2019:

So much for scheduling your vacation, on a holiday week to get that "extra day".
Thank God for seniority. Sorry to hear how you newer people will be getting screwed though.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Black Out Dates:

December 03-24, 2018

In 2019:

There were restrictions around holidays during my entire tenure with Express.

Star B

White Lightening
yea, this is nothing new. you don't let everyone sked vacation during the busiest times of the year.

Whats in the Box

Our peak at my Express station in Texas started the week of Thanksgiving and never slowed down til Mid-January. In that time, there were a bunch of people off for vacation, with exemption of the 2 weeks before Xmas blocked. I can see why they are blacking out those days so nobody is off.

SmithBarney

Every station vacation planning is different, depends totally on staffing needs, and total number of vacation weeks(all employees in station added up)
One of the biggest issues I've seen year after year is the day after thanksgiving, where we generally bring in a full staff, and nearly every year half of the people go home with nothing to do...

El Morado Diablo

Every station vacation planning is different, depends totally on staffing needs, and total number of vacation weeks(all employees in station added up)
One of the biggest issues I've seen year after year is the day after thanksgiving, where we generally bring in a full staff, and nearly every year half of the people go home with nothing to do...

If you had to pick one day of the year that we should be closed instead of open it would be the day after Thanksgiving. The amount of hoops we are expected to jump through to hit stops per hour, prevent unproductive stops, etc, etc, etc aren't worth being open on an incredibly light day.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If you had to pick one day of the year that we should be closed instead of open it would be the day after Thanksgiving. The amount of hoops we are expected to jump through to hit stops per hour, prevent unproductive stops, etc, etc, etc aren't worth being open on an incredibly light day.
I agree.

It isn't worth all the hassles involved.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It probably wouldn’t be so bad if the lazy people with business routes would do their jobs and do close sheets.

Serf

Thanks for sharing. The only week I want off is the week 26Dec-31Dec. And it requires being hired before 1985 to get it.
Bright side is, with the massive revolving door of window lickers coming in and out of this place; I should only need about 15 yrs (not 35) to be top dog.:laughing:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks for sharing. The only week I want off is the week 26Dec-31Dec. And it requires being hired before 1985 to get it.
Bright side is, with the massive revolving door of window lickers coming in and out of this place; I should only need about 15 yrs (not 35) to be top dog.:laughing:
That’s my favorite week to be off. :)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

That’s my favorite week to be off. :)
In all of my 20+ years I never could get that week off. That is until I retired and found another job, then it was no problem whatsoever.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
In all of my 20+ years I never could get that week off. That is until I retired and found another job, then it was no problem whatsoever.
I’ve taken the week and Spring Break for a long time. Starting next year I won’t bid Spring Break anymore, but I’m keeping that December week. I need it after Peak.

dezguy

I'll never get the week after Christmas off. By the time I might be able to get it, i won't need it as my kids will have kids by then. Besides, by then it will probably be blacked out too due to boxing day shopping.

fatboy33

Black Out Dates:

December 03-24, 2018

In 2019:

I don't see superbowl monday. We took a blood bath this year with a maxed out vacation schedule and the amount of sick calls.