New vote no page ADMIN

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Who ever said they were going to strike?

And a 30-40 off the clock trip from the parking lot each way(including shuttle wait times) would be enough for me to vote for a strike.

That's just too much wasted personal time to me.

And we know how much UPS values time.
UPS places no value on your time unless you are on the clock.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I respect 99% of what you post.

This is the 1% that you are wrong.

You don't know what the hang up really was.

You HEARD and CHOSE to believe it was about health care.

That is where you are wrong.

I believe that the major hang up was the parking lot issues.

Either of us could be right, but neither of us know for 100% certainty.

And without that 100% certainty, you should have backed your union brothers at local 89 and the other 2 locals.
That is exactly what it was about and I do know for sure, because I took a couple of days off and went there to help them handbill the Worldport.
I read the literature and talked to the employees and it was all about their struggles to get to their work area, as well as their desire to be compensated for their time once they hit the gates.

That's a fact.

hyena

So how long should that politcal game go on? Till UPS loses customers and members get laid off? The E Board had the right to do it and they did. If you don't like it change the Constitution. I think they did the right thing.
Of course you do. You probably didn't take any concessions.

Of course you do. You probably didn't take any concessions.
myspacetop.gif

Overpaid Union Thug

I respect 99% of what you post.

This is the 1% that you are wrong.

You don't know what the hang up really was.

You HEARD and CHOSE to believe it was about health care.

That is where you are wrong.

I believe that the major hang up was the parking lot issues.

Either of us could be right, but neither of us know for 100% certainty.

And without that 100% certainty, you should have backed your union brothers at local 89 and the other 2 locals.
How can I back them if I'm not 100% sure of what they were holding out for? LOL. If it was for the parking lot issue then there is no way I could have supported them. Are you talking about Louisville? How many other Americans that don't work at UPS have worse commutes than that?

I once worked in a factory where I had to spend an average of 10 minutes (that's after the 25/30 minute commute) navigating the numerous parking lots to find a space. Then after waiting another 5 min to go through security I had another 5 to 10 walking the entire length of the sprawling complex to my work station during which I usually had to wait line to clock in. So, not including the actual drive from my house to the entrance to the parking lots I had an average of 30 minutes of time on property that didn't count for anything. Not quite as long as Louisville hub but the property I worked on wasn't near that size. And I only made $9.50/hr with no health insurance bennies (those that did have them didn't have anything close to what a part-timer at UPS has and had to pay monthly) and no college tuition. You see where I'm going with this? And it's like that at many other places all over the country. Even union shops I'm sure. So, to me definitely not worth a fight. Especially if it holds up the rest of the country.

How can I back them if I'm not 100% sure of what they were holding out for? LOL. If it was for the parking lot issue then there is no way I could have supported them. Are you talking about Louisville? How many other Americans that don't work at UPS have worse commutes than that?

I once worked in a factory where I had to spend an average of 10 minutes (that's after the 25/30 minute commute) navigating the numerous parking lots to find a space. Then after waiting another 5 min to go through security I had another 5 to 10 walking the entire length of the sprawling complex to my work station during which I usually had to wait line to clock in. So, not including the actual drive from my house to the entrance to the parking lots I had an average of 30 minutes of time on property that didn't count for anything. Not quite as long as Louisville hub but the property I worked on wasn't near that size. And I only made $9.50/hr with no health insurance bennies (those that did have them didn't have anything close to what a part-timer at UPS has and had to pay monthly) and no college tuition. You see where I'm going with this? And it's like that at many other places all over the country. Even union shops I'm sure. So, to me definitely not worth a fight. Especially if it holds up the rest of the country.
May not be a big deal for you. ....but....the part time workers ,working multiple jobs and wasting valuable free time.....might be a big issue for them.

Overpaid Union Thug

May not be a big deal for you. ....but....the part time workers ,working multiple jobs and wasting valuable free time.....might be a big issue for them.

I've been through it. But I knew it beforehand and chose to do it anyway when I was hired. And even if it had been a surprise I still wouldn't have thought much of it other than "man this sucks...I have to leave an extra 30 minutes early for work everyday!" By the time I would get out of the factory I was talking about and get home I'd usually have 10-15 minutes (often much less) before I'd have to head out to UPS. It sucked. It really did but many, many Americans (in addition to people in other countries) do it everyday and aren't willing to strike over it. But I find it hard to believe all that was over that issue.

Instigator

It was mostly about healthcare.
I guess you heard that from some guy you met in the men's room. I was on the Local 89 Supplemental negotiating committee so I will shed some light on your ridiculous posts. Local 89 had their healthcare in the Supplement and we recognized very early the IBT was negotiating concessions via a reduction in benefits and we would not accept that. Many other issues were left on the table when the contract was imposed on us including full time jobs, safety related issues, resolution for unnecessary travel time, seniority, overtime, etc. so tell your friend in the men's room he should get the facts before exercising that pea brain.

Instigator

To set the record straight, the time we attempted to negotiate was from the time I clocked into the guard shack to the time I get to my work area. Most times it takes 40 to 50 minutes because the company does not have the busses. It takes as long to get out. So for a 3 hour PT air employee the day is almost 5 hours in and out of the property. Has nothing to do with walking through parking lots which of course is additionaL time. We were negotiating solutions to the problem when the IBT imposed the contract.

Overpaid Union Thug

I guess you heard that from some guy you met in the men's room. I was on the Local 89 Supplemental negotiating committee so I will shed some light on your ridiculous posts. Local 89 had their healthcare in the Supplement and we recognized very early the IBT was negotiating concessions via a reduction in benefits and we would not accept that. Many other issues were left on the table when the contract was imposed on us including full time jobs, safety related issues, resolution for unnecessary travel time, seniority, overtime, etc. so tell your friend in the men's room he should get the facts before exercising that pea brain.

So....you are simultaneously insulting the guy for believing a "guy he met in the mens room" and acknowledging that the information he received from him was correct?

member6045

Just looking at the raw number of voters on the supplement! You would not have gotten the threshold number of votes to authorize a strike!

You do realize that other locals where in need of there new monies for pension and health and welfare.

You forgot z's political aspirations and his feeling being hurt by Hoffa a couple years earlier.

I've been through it. But I knew it beforehand and chose to do it anyway when I was hired. And even if it had been a surprise I still wouldn't have thought much of it other than "man this sucks...I have to leave an extra 30 minutes early for work everyday!" By the time I would get out of the factory I was talking about and get home I'd usually have 10-15 minutes (often much less) before I'd have to head out to UPS. It sucked. It really did but many, many Americans (in addition to people in other countries) do it everyday and aren't willing to strike over it. But I find it hard to believe all that was over that issue.
I don't k ow the whole story either but I would bet a few dollars that they cut shuttle service, just like they cut routes.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Overpaid Union Thug

To set the record straight, the time we attempted to negotiate was from the time I clocked into the guard shack to the time I get to my work area. Most times it takes 40 to 50 minutes because the company does not have the busses. It takes as long to get out. So for a 3 hour PT air employee the day is almost 5 hours in and out of the property. Has nothing to do with walking through parking lots which of course is additionaL time. We were negotiating solutions to the problem when the IBT imposed the contract.

Why are they required to clock in that early in the process to get to their work area? Why not clock in once they get there?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

What year did the unnecessary travel time start?just curious