Newpa safety snakes

I heard a rumor about two members of the “CHSP committee” filming a shifter doing “at risk behavior” resulting in the shifter getting fired! This is just wrong! The responsibility of union members in the committee is to hold the company accountable for safety violations such as yard conditions. Not ratting our fellow union members. Should these snakes be thrown out of the union? Can that even happen?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

542thruNthru

I heard a rumor about two members of the “CHSP committee” filming a shifter doing “at risk behavior” resulting in the shifter getting fired! This is just wrong! The responsibility of union members in the committee is to hold the company accountable for safety violations such as yard conditions. Not ratting our fellow union members. Should these snakes be thrown out of the union? Can that even happen?

Sounds like @quad decade guy is up to his old tricks.

File a grievance under the Article BUG quoted.

I'd also talk to my BA and local president about having those safety committee members removed.

This of course is if the rumors are true.

I hope the video can’t be used. What about the brown nose safety members? Is there any recourse against them for harming another union member?

I hope the video can’t be used. What about the brown nose safety members? Is there any recourse against them for harming another union member?
l4JyJoH9PYOIblBe0.gif

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What if UPS and the safety committee members both recorded unsafe actions? My guess is the video only led mgmt on their trail and the safety members won't be cited

B-Brown

You have them in every building. Person gets on the committee. Takes pictures. Sends them to the manager. One guy wanted to get in to feeders so bad, he would video guys daily.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I wish the rest of the US would handle safety like 251 does.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well for one. What does a manager/sup need a video for? He/she is there and observed it. They would discipline on the spot or confront the driver about his methods violation.
Again I am beyond the video. I am saying, what if the video led to an observation? Then the contract language and video is somewhat meaningless, even as a clue in. The video didn't result in the firing, it was only a tip off for an obs. I bet there is more to this one...

I heard a rumor about two members of the “CHSP committee” filming a shifter doing “at risk behavior” resulting in the shifter getting fired!

542thruNthru

Again I am beyond the video. I am saying, what if the video led to an observation? Then the contract language and video is somewhat meaningless, even as a clue in. The video didn't result in the firing, it was only a tip off for an obs. I bet there is more to this one...

A tip off that isn't allowed. I would argue that the video observation never should have happen there for the manager never would have made the observation. There for the discipline shouldn't stand. The observation and discipline were the result of a safety committee members video observation.
Screenshot_20191107-155943_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A tip off that isn't allowed. I would argue that the video observation never should have happen there for the manager never would have made the observation. There for the discipline shouldn't stand. The observation and discipline were the result of a safety committee members video observation.
View attachment 271072
You didn't highlight the important part of that ..."that can be interpreted as a management role". Of course they can do observations.

The video doesn't mean much in reality...they could have ratted him/her out without it, leading to an investigation, leading to discipline.

542thruNthru

You didn't highlight the important part of that ..."that can be interpreted as a management role". Of course they can do observations.

Taking a video would be interpreted as a management role. If the member went to management and said "I believe we need to work on method XXXXX because I observed it being ignored many times in the yard." That's one thing but going to his center manager with a video and say "look I took a video of Mr. Smith not following the methods." That's a management role.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Taking a video would be interpreted as a management role. If the member went to management and said "I believe we need to work on method XXXXX because I observed it being ignored many times in the yard." That's one thing but going to his center manager with a video and say "look I took a video of Mr. Smith not following the methods." That's a management role.
Not arguing what is or isn't deemed a management role...thats fine. At a panel, I would guess the video would not be the focus, the observation would. That's all I am saying. Assuming management DID a follow up observation. Also I'd like to know what type and how big of an issue we are talking about here AND the employees record, whether this was the tip of the proverb iceberg etc. Surely there's more to it than the gossip provided in the OP.

542thruNthru

Not arguing what is or isn't deemed a management role...thats fine. At a panel, I would guess the video would not be the focus, the observation would. That's all I am saying. Assuming management DID a follow up observation. Also I'd like to know what type and how big of an issue we are talking about here AND the employees record, whether this was the tip of the proverb iceberg etc. Surely there's more to it than the gossip provided in the OP.

I'm sure there is lots more to it.

I'm don't know much about panel but I would think a point of order would be called on what led the manager to make the observation on the employee. That's when the video would need to be addressed.

Either way I agree we're going off very little info.