Next contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No concessions(benefits primarily) while this company makes the profits that they do. You have plenty of time to save your money and prepare to strike. Thats all you can do.

When you say benefits primarily does this mean you would accept a smaller pay raise or even a wage freeze for part of the contract as long as the benefits remain the same?

Braveheart

I want more paid time off, but I don't see it happening. This next one should be my last one.

The first thing we should do is make the workers vacation equal to management.

Around here they get their vacations after years 1-2-5-10-15-20

Ours is 1-2-10-15-20-25

Yet we must wait for our 3rd vacation all the way until the 10th year, as well as waiting until the 25th year to get our last vacation. So we are always 5 years behind them despite doing all the hard labor. The two vacation timelines should be equal.

A second and just as important one is flexibility with days off and the conversion of vacation days into single days off like all other compnies do for their workers.

THERE NEEDS TO BE AN OPTION 4.

Option 3 is 7 days that you can use as you see fit.

We were told that there was going to be an option 4 where you combined the 7 option days=58 hours, with your 1 personal day=8hours, and a vacation week=45 hours plus one extra hour of pay to get 112 hours= 14 single days off at 8 hours of pay per day.

I guess the two sides lied to us again because it did not happen.

The way it would work is now you had 7 call in days and 7 days you would ask for in advance like 1-2 weeks in advance. There may be some flexible ways to move the days back in advance but the whole idea is to get a more family-work-home-life balance to improve the time off war.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
The first thing we should do is make the workers vacation equal to management.

Around here they get their vacations after years 1-2-5-10-15-20

Ours is 1-2-10-15-20-25

Yet we must wait for our 3rd vacation all the way until the 10th year, as well as waiting until the 25th year to get our last vacation. So we are always 5 years behind them despite doing all the hard labor. The two vacation timelines should be equal.

A second and just as important one is flexibility with days off and the conversion of vacation days into single days off like all other compnies do for their workers.

THERE NEEDS TO BE AN OPTION 4.

Option 3 is 7 days that you can use as you see fit.

We were told that there was going to be an option 4 where you combined the 7 option days=58 hours, with your 1 personal day=8hours, and a vacation week=45 hours plus one extra hour of pay to get 112 hours= 14 single days off at 8 hours of pay per day.

I guess the two sides lied to us again because it did not happen.

The way it would work is now you had 7 call in days and 7 days you would ask for in advance like 1-2 weeks in advance. There may be some flexible ways to move the days back in advance but the whole idea is to get a more family-work-home-life balance to improve the time off war.

Just to clarify non-union vacations and health benefits

Employee Vacation Eligibility

Years of Service Accrual Per Year
Up to 5 2 weeks
5 – 9 3 weeks
10 – 19 4 weeks
20 – 24 5 weeks
25 or more 6 weeks

Health Benefits -2 options
Either pay more a week with a $500 family deductible before insurance kicks in or
pay less a week with a $3000 family deductible before insurance kicks in....

browned out

Considering everything that has been happening company wide involving union and non union employees, I have this feeling that the union employees will have the battle of a lifetime just trying to keep the things that we have now. I can only imagine what the big guy has planned for the bargaining table for 2013. Enjoy the next three years, because who knows whats going to go down after that. Just a thought.

I am a driver in one of the hardest hit states economically with job loss and home values declining. Yet my stop density is up and multiple packages to resis are way up. This makes ground more profitable. Do you think more or less people with be shopping by internet in the next few years and decades? Think about cell phones, prescriptions,and the lack of interest to go shopping at malls.
One of the top ten occupations losing jobs over the next decade is projected to be retail sales at brick and morter stores. Where? pray tell do you think this business will go.

My grandma is 84 years old and does not shop online. My mother is 62 and shops online once in while. Will you shop online when you are 62, I think about 80% of the population will (at that age range; in the future.) I know if I am still alive at 84; I will be ordering online.

RPS, DHL, Emery, Airborne, The US post office, FedeX ground are no threat to UPS or they are out of business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All of the press about the Post Office has been that they will suspend Saturday delivery but every letter carrier that I have spoken to has said that they would actually prefer to suspend Tuesday delivery. It is historically their slowest day. I agree that privatization should be their next move.

klein

Für Meno :)
My grandma is 84 years old and does not shop online. My mother is 62 and shops online once in while. Will you shop online when you are 62, I think about 80% of the population will (at that age range; in the future.) I know if I am still alive at 84; I will be ordering online.

Sorry, I disagree with you. If I'm not a meals on wheels consumer, and can go out and buy my groceries, then I can surely go to a department store , too.
Ok, at that age, clothing doesn't have to fit perfectly. But shoes, they need to have the right compfy fit, esspecially at that age.
I would never buy shows online. Or groceries. I wanna see my meat and produce, before I buy.
Computer breaks, well, I don't want to wait a week for a new one. Same with a phone or TV.
Garden supplies, well if my rake or gardenhose breaks, I need a new one, while I'm gardening, not in a week from now.

Besides all that, I do like to see and or try things before I buy them. Looking at a laptop pic on a screen, is just not the same as going to Bestbuy or whereever, and checking it out.
I have often did my window-shopping at home on the net.... decided on an item, but at the store, opted for another item instead.

Perscriptions are already mostly delivered by local bigger pharmacies. Same day delivery and cheaper then via UPS/fedex.
Unless, ofcourse you order from out of city, state, or country.
And what will stop bigger retailers, like bestbuy, not to have thier own delivery service within city limits, if online shopping rises, and makes it profitable for them to homedeliver thier own products, from local retailers ? (Also with a same day delivery, and perhaps setup). Like some furniture places already do.
So, no, I don't see a future anytime soon, where almost everything will be home delivered by UPS or Fedex.

p228

And what will stop bigger retailers, like bestbuy, not to have thier own delivery service within city limits, if online shopping rises, and makes it profitable for them to homedeliver thier own products, from local retailers ? (Also with a same day delivery, and perhaps setup). Like some furniture places already do.

Amazon.com actually started offering that in several cities. They market it as same day "Local Express Delivery." It starts at $9.99 for books and CDs and it is $17.99 for almost everything else.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200105970&ref=ftinfo_dp_

browned out

I agree. fedex Ground is doing just fine and will in the future. I think the post office should be privatized.

The notion of the post office going private is absurd. As for Fed-ex ground. Have you seen these guys out there, asked them their stop count and how many miles they drive. I have and they; at least in this area are not happy. I do 30 stops in a sub and they are lucky to do 4. Now I see them leaving delivery notices even if the package is in the front door. This leads me to believe good ole boy Fred S is now making them pay for misdel and stolen packages.

The Fed-ex ground fleet is relatively new. What do you think will happen when the contractors trucks get older and need repair or replacement. Do you know who pays for this? Each contractor is responsible for maintenance, both mechanically and aesthetic.

If fed ex ground so called contractors are forced to be classified as employees of Fed ex. That will sign their death certificate.

We have seen this false fear of new competition before. Uh oh; look out for RPS, oh no here comes DHL. Please stop with these fantasies. The post office is losing billions and DHL has all but left the US. Every management team that I has been in my hub and center has implied that are only real competitor is FED EX air that is.

beentheredonethat

Browned out,

You mention false fear of competition, Uh oh; look out for RPS... Well we should, just because FDX bought them, doesn't mean that RPS "went away". It's still here just rebranded, and they pull in 1.8 Billion a quarter of revenue. That's about 7 -8 Billion dollars of revenue a year at 10/pkg that's 700-800 million pkgs that would most likely be UPS and Teamster pkgs. We didn't have our eye on the ball, and they took advantage. Our biggest mistake back when RPS started is that we had one set of rates for everybody. RPS realized certain pkgs are way more profitable then others and targeted those pkgs. If we had raised the overall rates and then discounted the desirable packages as we do now, then they wouldn't have been able to take advantage of that weakness and that competitor probably wouldn't have existed at all.

Here's another News flash, the post office doesn't have to make money. So what if they lose money, They have no shareowner to report to. The government won't let it go under and they couldn't afford to fire all the USPS folks for fear of losing hundreds of thousands of votes.

DHL did leave the domestic market, but only because their shareowners didn't want to lose money continually. They could have afforded to stay a few more years. If they had spent the money on infrastructure first and gotten good service then went after the market share, they would have survived.

Also, even if FDX classified their ground contractors as employees, they would still exist, they may get hindered by a higher cost, but they have a lower cost structure now. If the ground contractors demanded to much to make FDX ground go under, then everyones out of a job. That just won't happen.

Also, FDX Ground has been FDX Ground (not RPS) for over 12 years. And had existed for quite a while before that as RPS. So many vehicles are old in their fleet. Even if a contractor can't make it, he sells his route, or leaves and FDX recruits someone else to do it.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I like Upsstate's comment about Tuesday being their lightest day.
It makes sense to me. I guess cutting out a light day does not load up your heavier days.
The thought of having "Tuesday's off" doesn't turn me on at first thought, but maybe it would appeal once I realize that there is a difference between an early weekend and a simple day away from work to get "stuff done".
I took a survey about it and I said NO, continue Sat delivery, just get more efficient.
Not realistic, I know.

airbusfxr

Dude, you know a little on each subject. You post as a pilot, driver, manager, pt loader, and mechanic. You are a jack of all trades.

Last edited:

browned out

Browned out,

You mention false fear of competition, Uh oh; look out for RPS... Well we should, just because FDX bought them, doesn't mean that RPS "went away". It's still here just rebranded, and they pull in 1.8 Billion a quarter of revenue. That's about 7 -8 Billion dollars of revenue a year at 10/pkg that's 700-800 million pkgs that would most likely be UPS and Teamster pkgs. We didn't have our eye on the ball, and they took advantage. Our biggest mistake back when RPS started is that we had one set of rates for everybody. RPS realized certain pkgs are way more profitable then others and targeted those pkgs. If we had raised the overall rates and then discounted the desirable packages as we do now, then they wouldn't have been able to take advantage of that weakness and that competitor probably wouldn't have existed at all.

Here's another News flash, the post office doesn't have to make money. So what if they lose money, They have no shareowner to report to. The government won't let it go under and they couldn't afford to fire all the USPS folks for fear of losing hundreds of thousands of votes.

DHL did leave the domestic market, but only because their shareowners didn't want to lose money continually. They could have afforded to stay a few more years. If they had spent the money on infrastructure first and gotten good service then went after the market share, they would have survived.

Also, even if FDX classified their ground contractors as employees, they would still exist, they may get hindered by a higher cost, but they have a lower cost structure now. If the ground contractors demanded to much to make FDX ground go under, then everyones out of a job. That just won't happen.

Also, FDX Ground has been FDX Ground (not RPS) for over 12 years. And had existed for quite a while before that as RPS. So many vehicles are old in their fleet. Even if a contractor can't make it, he sells his route, or leaves and FDX recruits someone else to do it.

Here is a small snippet of real life. This is from July 2009. For the full year Fed ex did even worse.

But what really is impressive, analysts' whining not withstanding, is UPS's performance vis-a-vis its major competitor, FedEx. While UPS was earning $846 million using a Teamsters work force, non-union FedEx actually lost $779 million for its corresponding six months. Who says unionized workers can't be productive. http://www.glgroup.com/News/Big-Bro...ially-Compared-With-FedExs-Results-41850.html

The post office does have to be accountable. Why else would the suspend Sat delivery. This is to save money. We ship half their air on UPS planes anyhow. As for DHL; yes when you lose money you leave the US without further losses which would seriously hurt your core business. You don't think DHL strategically planned their entrance to the US market and knew that they would have a rough go of it? They came with guns blazin' and failed. If they would have stayed another 5 years UPS would have had to take over the Deutsh post. Losing money bad. Making money good. I am surprised their shareholders did not love losing money. What do you think a successful business tries to do?

As for fed ground having a lot of 12 year old trucks; you know what we call a 12 year old truck in our center? We call it a new truck. We are driving some trucks that are close to 30 years old. Do you honestly think the ground contractors can maintain these vehicles. Look on ebay every once in a while; you could pick up a great deal on a Fed ex ground truck.

I am all for watching out for and keeping ahead of the competition however limited they may be.

As for big companies shipping their own product. Ask office depot and staples how that's working out for them. Seems like most of their parcels are on my truck somehow

klein

As for big companies shipping their own product. Ask office depot and staples how that's working out for them. Seems like most of their parcels are on my truck somehow

Staples already has thier own delivery trucks, for a long time now. I think UPS only gets what needs to be shipped in from outer city or state.
I run into the staples trucks, plenty of times, even delivered to Staples... seen them load and unload along my route.
See for yourself : http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Static/static_pages.asp?pagename=help_policy_delivery#ship

browned out

Staples already has thier own delivery trucks, for a long time now. I think UPS only gets what needs to be shipped in from outer city or state.
I run into the staples trucks, plenty of times, even delivered to Staples... seen them load and unload along my route.
See for yourself : http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Static/static_pages.asp?pagename=help_policy_delivery#ship

Maybe Kohl's, QVC, HSN , Sprint, Medco, Walmart, Target, Merrill Lynch, Prudential, All the major banks, Candlelight, Cabellas, LTD, Gamestop and maybe a couple or three more hundred companies will start delivering their own merchandise. As for the free shipping from staples; most of that is delivered by UPS.

Paranoia with destroy ya

Last edited:

klein

Maybe Kohl's, QVC, HSN , Sprint, Medco, Walmart, Target, Merrill Lynch, Prudential, All the major banks, Candlelight, Cabellas, LTD, Gamestop and maybe a couple or three more hundred companies with start delivering their own merchandise. As for the free shipping from staples; most of that is delivered by UPS.

Paranoia with destroy ya

I doubt that very much. Since the staples website says, I can order up until 6pm, for next day delivery. How does that work with UPS delivery ?
And yes, if the city demand from local online shopping raises to a certain level for any company. I'm sure they will be looking into saving money and delivery time, delivering thier own product.

For instance, if you had your own online company, and in time 100 orders locally are ordered.
Now, why would you want to pay UPS $30 X 100 = $3000 per day to deliver those ?
A driver and a truck will do it for $500 a day easily !

browned out

I doubt that very much. Since the staples website says, I can order up until 6pm, for next day delivery. How does that work with UPS delivery ?
And yes, if the city demand from local online shopping raises to a certain level for any company. I'm sure they will be looking into saving money and delivery time, delivering thier own product.

Staples has major warehouses in every major metro area. In our center we pick up the Staples as a late night pickup at 8:00 every weekday or 20:00 to the sticklers.