Next contract.

browned out

Sorry, I disagree with you. If I'm not a meals on wheels consumer, and can go out and buy my groceries, then I can surely go to a department store , too.
Ok, at that age, clothing doesn't have to fit perfectly. But shoes, they need to have the right compfy fit, esspecially at that age.
I would never buy shows online. Or groceries. I wanna see my meat and produce, before I buy.
Computer breaks, well, I don't want to wait a week for a new one. Same with a phone or TV.
Garden supplies, well if my rake or gardenhose breaks, I need a new one, while I'm gardening, not in a week from now.

Besides all that, I do like to see and or try things before I buy them. Looking at a laptop pic on a screen, is just not the same as going to Bestbuy or whereever, and checking it out.
I have often did my window-shopping at home on the net.... decided on an item, but at the store, opted for another item instead.

Perscriptions are already mostly delivered by local bigger pharmacies. Same day delivery and cheaper then via UPS/fedex.
Unless, ofcourse you order from out of city, state, or country.
And what will stop bigger retailers, like bestbuy, not to have thier own delivery service within city limits, if online shopping rises, and makes it profitable for them to homedeliver thier own products, from local retailers ? (Also with a same day delivery, and perhaps setup). Like some furniture places already do.
So, no, I don't see a future anytime soon, where almost everything will be home delivered by UPS or Fedex.

Do you honestly believe that online shipping will go down in the near future? Alot of shopping malls are almost vacant yet the stores that were once there are still profitable. It is called overhead. UPS is a master of logistics; Do you know that we handle the inventory for many of these large companies already.... Find out how Ford keeps track of their cars before and during shipment; it is done by a company called Autoport which happens to be owned by UPS. You are way underestimating the talented people that work in Volume Development and Retention. If you are a driver; shake those small plastic packages. That sound is RX's. You are right on one thing; I hope we don't have to deliver couches and washing machines anytime soon. UPS stopped that in the 30's maybe?

FAVREFAN

The notion of the post office going private is absurd. As for Fed-ex ground. Have you seen these guys out there, asked them their stop count and how many miles they drive. I have and they; at least in this area are not happy. I do 30 stops in a sub and they are lucky to do 4. Now I see them leaving delivery notices even if the package is in the front door. This leads me to believe good ole boy Fred S is now making them pay for misdel and stolen packages.

The Fed-ex ground fleet is relatively new. What do you think will happen when the contractors trucks get older and need repair or replacement. Do you know who pays for this? Each contractor is responsible for maintenance, both mechanically and aesthetic.

If fed ex ground so called contractors are forced to be classified as employees of Fed ex. That will sign their death certificate.

We have seen this false fear of new competition before. Uh oh; look out for RPS, oh no here comes DHL. Please stop with these fantasies. The post office is losing billions and DHL has all but left the US. Every management team that I has been in my hub and center has implied that are only real competitor is FED EX air that is.
You must not have seen Fedex's earnings lately. So you judge how they are doing by what a handful of their drivers by you are doing? Wow. And that's exactly why the post office should be privatized.....because it's losing it's ass.

KingofBrown

as far as i am concerned,i will not take anything less or one inch backward on the future contract.i have worked hard for 27 years in this company and the last few years feel like i have been in an aisian child labor shoe factory forced to work in the dark and fed dung like a mushroom.i hear the sad stories from management every week before we leave the building to carry this company on our backs and legs of how we must reduce our time,increase our efforts,do more,give more,etc.then i watch those same managers head out to breakfast,then to lunch,then home early.sometimes they put 2 hours of conference calls/paper-computer work in.then i hear of profits,ceo salaries,etc,and i have to say i my self will never vote for anything less than we already have.imo the biggest cost cutting measures should be in upper level managment.

I agree, too. We always have to fight for benefits and never give up anything to management. come on folks, it's not the same if you'd earned $29 back in 1990 than today. inflation occurs and prices in goods rise, and our wages should, too. I believe we should not give anything up, we should fight for a fair contract in all ways.

browned out

browned, in your opinion, what is so absurd about the privatization of the Post Office?

First off they would have to fire or buy out hundreds of thousands of government postal workers.
Next if the po was privatized it would need restructuring.
The cash cow of the po is standard mail which they have a monopoly on. They make more money on it than anything, even international or global express.
The service that they are hemorrhaging cash on is parcel delivery. This would be the first service done away with by a private for profit company. This would benefit UPS.

So even in the unlikely event that privatization of the USPS in our lifetime; UPS will still prosper.

browned out

You must not have seen Fedex's earnings lately. So you judge how they are doing by what a handful of their drivers by you are doing? Wow. And that's exactly why the post office should be privatized.....because it's losing it's ass.

I have seen their earnings report. It is so because of the absolute disregard to ground drivers. These guy pay for all their maintenance, health care, soc security etc. Do you know it costs about $500 to register one of these trucks, plus insurance, tires,fuel, dot safety checks etc. Alot of paper route delivery drivers make more than fedex ground drivers.

browned out

Another thing Fedex has had losing quarters in the last few years. Do you know when the last time UPS lost money or did not pay or raise it's dividend. The answers pretty easy. NEVER
Why? because we run the tightest ship in the shipping business from unloader to loader to sorter to driver to center manager to CEO. This is why again we are the most admired in our business category.

Please get some sleep. UPS is not going bankrupt anytime soon. We are at the top of our game in the early stages of booming internet sales. UPS made tons of money in the worst recession since the great depression and our only product is a service.

browned out

I agree, too. We always have to fight for benefits and never give up anything to management. come on folks, it's not the same if you'd earned $29 back in 1990 than today. inflation occurs and prices in goods rise, and our wages should, too. I believe we should not give anything up, we should fight for a fair contract in all ways.

I agree. We are still making more money per package than anybody else. Best margins as the fat cats on wall street would say.

blue efficacy

Domestic volume is way down with no (real) hope of our premium products recovering.
Other companies beating us on the shipping costs. Who really cares about guarentees when your own small biz is bleeding red?
The Obama plan will only drive up costs as everyone with a headache will end up in the ER.
Actually making real healthcare more accessible would decrease ER usage, because they could actually make clinic visits (which are cheaper) when needed.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I doubt that very much. Since the staples website says, I can order up until 6pm, for next day delivery. How does that work with UPS delivery ?
And yes, if the city demand from local online shopping raises to a certain level for any company. I'm sure they will be looking into saving money and delivery time, delivering thier own product.

For instance, if you had your own online company, and in time 100 orders locally are ordered.
Now, why would you want to pay UPS $30 X 100 = $3000 per day to deliver those ?
A driver and a truck will do it for $500 a day easily !

Your assuming that those 100 stops are in a area that can be reached in a timely manner the next day. It would be ipossible for a driver to make 100 stops covering all of the city of Chicago East, West, North and South in one day. Put down the bottle.