Nfl playoffs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
To prove that the Pats cheated the NFL will have to show evidence that someone on the patriots purposely deflated the balls after they had been inspected by the refs. It's possible, but it would be an incredibly stupid thing to do especially for a team that's already under the microscope. I'll withhold judgement until the NFL finishes their investigation. I thought this article was pretty interesting.
I spoke to someone who is very familiar with the Pats practice and game-day handling of their game balls -- someone no longer a member of the organization who has no stake in the outcome of this investigation one way or another -- who was adamant that there had never been any sort of protocol about deflating balls in the rain or certain conditions.

"We would practice in the rain, Bill would throw water on dry balls during practice and there was never anything done to deflate them because of it being wet," the former Patriot said. "That doesn't even make any sense. As anal as Tom is about the balls, there's no way he'd let some ball boy or whatever try to deflate it to a certain PSI.

"Tom knows a football, and the way he wants it, like you or I would know a kid. But there was never anything deflating or doctoring balls during a game. He knows how he wants the ball going into a game and he's not going to take any chances of someone else messing around with a ball to get it right. As anal as he is about the way he wants the balls to be, he's not going to able to tell the difference of 1psi or whatever.

"I'm just telling you, that's not how it works. He wants those balls to be right going into the game. But D'Qwell Jackson could tell after he intercepts a ball and is running to the sidelines? It just doesn't add up to me."

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Pete Carroll used to be beleichicks boss with the Jets so there is no love lost there. they like to play mind games with each other.

heres something interesting. Carroll has quoted the famous book in the past. . "The Art Of War" by Sun Su (sp) there is one chapter about deception and deflection as an offensive move.

Carroll may be behind this deflation story in Cohoots with Indy to distract the Pats. He knows they cant beat them because of all their injuries and the Pats are relatively healthy.

the hawks can prepare for the game while the Pats are on heavy defensive mode and very distracted.

food for thought.

Can Brady even handle a fully inflated ball???
image.jpg

GO HAWKS

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can Brady even handle a fully inflated ball???

GO HAWKS
In the 1st half with the under inflated balls Brady was 11 of 21 for 95 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. Pats scored 17 points
In the 2nd half with properly inflated balls he was 12 of 14 for 131 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INT. Pats scored 28 points.

oldngray

nowhere special
“The NFL is going to have to do something about the Patriots’ ineligible-eligible substitution game,” former NFL head coach and current NBC Sports analyst Tony Dungy told PFT by email on Friday. “It is nothing but an intent to deceive and they are doing it very well. They’re reporting so fast and going so quickly the defense can’t respond. In fact, the officials can’t keep up.”

Dungy believes the officials missed at least one foul with this maneuver during the postseason.

“In the Baltimore game, [Shane] Vereen reported as ineligible several times,” Dungy explained. “If he stays in the game he must report again and continue to be ineligible. He must come out of the game for one play or there has to be a time out for him to play as an eligible receiver. On the touchdown drive Vereen played one play as ineligible and then played the next play in an eligible position. There should have been a penalty.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...substitution-game/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

In the 1st half with the under inflated balls Brady was 11 of 21 for 95 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. Pats scored 17 points
In the 2nd half with properly inflated balls he was 12 of 14 for 131 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INT. Pats scored 28 points.
Did they pull out all 11 under inflated balls? Or did they find out they were all under inflated after the game?

Brady won't get near those numbers next week. Although Blount will have 126 yards rushing.

Hawks 31
Pats 17

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
everyone is forgetting that the colts brought up this same issue back in NOVEMBER and the NFL didn't do anything about it back then.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Did they pull out all 11 under inflated balls? Or did they find out they were all under inflated after the game?
The balls were all checked at halftime and replaced with fully inflated balls. If the Pats broke the rules then they should be held accountable, but this notion that playing with under inflated balls gave them some big advantage is nonsense. The numbers show the exact opposite.

The balls were all checked at halftime and replaced with fully inflated balls. If the Pats broke the rules then they should be held accountable, but this notion that playing with under inflated balls gave them some big advantage is nonsense. The numbers show the exact opposite.
If rules were broken, what should be the punishment? I'll bet this isn't the first time this had happened. One rarely get caught on their first offense. We will never know what advantage an under inflated ball is. If it prevents a couple fumbles a games. That is a huge advantage.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If rules were broken, what should be the punishment?
The rule book says that teams tampering with the balls are subject to a $25,000 fine.
I'll bet this isn't the first time this had happened. One rarely get caught on their first offense.
You're assuming that Pats intentionally broke the rules, so far there is no evidence of that. Wait for the league to complete their investigation.
We will never know what advantage an under inflated ball is. If it prevents a couple fumbles a games. That is a huge advantage.
This is just speculation with no supporting evidence. I gave you Brady's numbers for the game. Playing against the same defense he was clearly better with a fully inflated ball than with an under inflated one.

I would think its harder to throw an under inflated ball. But easier for a qb to get from center, grip and handle. For a receiver easier to catch and handle. For a running back easier handle on the exchange and less chance of fumbling. I think a ball with less bounce would be a plus for any offense. Especially in the rain.

Do you really think that 11 balls under inflated by 2 pounds weren't tampered with?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Keep in mind that Brady prefers they be inflated to just over 12.5 lbs, which is at the low end of the acceptable range, so any loss of air pressure due to weather or whatever reason would put them out of league requirements.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I would think its harder to throw an under inflated ball. But easier for a qb to get from center, grip and handle. For a receiver easier to catch and handle. For a running back easier handle on the exchange and less chance of fumbling. I think a ball with less bounce would be a plus for any offense. Especially in the rain.
You thinking something doesn't make it true. The fact is that playing with under inflated balls the pats outscored the colts 17-7. Playing with fully inflated balls they outscored them 28-0.
Do you really think that 11 balls under inflated by 2 pounds weren't tampered with?
I have no idea. I will say that when this first came up I was more inclined to think that the balls had been tampered with, but as more information has come out I'm starting to think that the balls were probably inflated to the league minimum of 12.5 PSI ( because that's how Brady likes them) and that they lost pressure over the course of the 1st half.

Keep in mind that Brady prefers they be inflated to just over 12.5 lbs, which is at the low end of the acceptable range, so any loss of air pressure due to weather or whatever reason would put them out of league requirements.
So why has this never been an issue in the past? Nearly all outdoor stadiums should have had this issue at some point.

As far as I know the refs have never checked the pressure of the balls at halftime before.
Maybe because there hasn't been any reason to in the past... Balls always lose air, but never this much air in so little time... Never enough to physically see a change in them... Do they continually add air to the balls at lambeau field?

In the end the league will probably say they found no misconduct, but that doesn't mean there wasn't.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Maybe because there hasn't been any reason to in the past...
Balls always lose air, but never this much air in so little time... Never enough to physically see a change in them... Do they continually add air to the balls at lambeau field?
The only reason they checked the balls was that the colts claimed the balls were under inflated and asked the refs to check them, nobody could "physically see a change" they had to check them with a gauge. The refs handle the balls after every single play and they couldn't tell a difference.

In the end the league will probably say they found no misconduct, but that doesn't mean there wasn't.
This sounds suspiciously like "I'm gonna believe what I want regardless of the evidence"
If the league finds evidence of misconduct I'll accept that, and if they find no evidence of misconduct I'll accept that as well.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

guilty until proven innocent.

sounds like UPS.