Nike Memo?

Oldfart

Shoulda dropped the reserve.
That is a risky move at times. The last vehicle that went up for bid was a 2003 Jeep. Lift kit, killer tires and rims. Super clean and low miles. The crowd had thinned out and bidders were tired and broke. The bids were slow to come by so the seller dropped the reserve. This Jeep sold for $2k. It was worth 3 or 4 times that and the seller knew he made a mistake when they dropped the hammer.

Saw plenty of cars selling below true value at times and then other times bidders got caught up in the excitement and overpaid for a car.

I saw a Jaguar station wagon, never seen one, sell for around $6k. It was 2006 or so with 80k miles on it. Might have been the deal of the day besides the Jeep.

Last edited:

Oldfart

You got any lines on a good pick up truck. Just for yard work and takin grandkids for a ride? You live in bumfuk, say yeah, I'll pm you. Hope you have good weather tomorrow and the tires roll.
You want a truck or any type of SUV, go to Texas. Cowboy Cadillacs. You can get plenty of nice clean ones there. I have bought several down there.

Oldfart

Just looked at the Mecum website.

Didn't know if this was his or not.

1971 Chevrolet Camaro | S40.1 | Louisville 2018 | Mecum Auctions

I saw a 1970 that was sold, and no 1970 1/2s.
Not mine. The 70 1/2 is sometimes incorrectly identified anyway. Some people are not sure what it really is. The website is not complete. It only listed the cars that were preregistered. We drove over to Louisville Friday night and you could still register cars the day of the auction. There are plenty of vehicles that went down the lane that are not on the website. Mine, the Jeep and Jaguar I mentioned being a few.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Look dumb dumb we will revisit this issue in a couple months when it's a nothingburger.

It's a nothingburger now. You're just filled with "FedEx has to do {whatever}" based on the sound that the rocks make when they rattle around in your head.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Worth the travel if you want to sell a classic car or just experience the phenomenon of car week.

A guy I work with made a nice living transporting those types of cars before his wife made him quit. Miles are money. I don't know what he charged but he said his net was around $1/mile. A seller isn't likely pay to have a car driven that far just for the opportunity to, maybe, get it sold. The only way it would make sense would be if he could count on an extraordinary sale price.

Oldfart

I am shy of Texas because of the previous hurricane flooding. I don't want to buy a swimmer.
Bought a truck in Fort Worth last spring. Been in that area since it was new. That area had no flooding. Did some research and felt confident enough to fly down and buy it. Bought 2 other SUV's in that area in the past. Anything in Houston would be a different story.

floridays

Bought a truck in Fort Worth last spring. Been in that area since it was new. That area had no flooding. Did some research and felt confident enough to fly down and buy it. Bought 2 other SUV's in that area in the past. Anything in Houston would be a different story.
Still wary, trucks are mobile you know. I'll check online though. Thanks for the help.