NLRB petition card distribution/collection begins

raceanoncr

BIG UION GUY YOU AND THE TEAMSTERS ALLWAYS TALK ABOUT THAT 60 MILLION STRIKE FUND. IT WOULD LAST UPS TEAMSTERS ON STRIKE LESS THAN 2 WEEKS. 60 MILLION `DIVIDED BY 250000 = about $240. I know parttimers get less but this strike fund is not going to do much for most UPSers.

Strike fund lasting? It'll last forever!!! Why? Were you walking the line in '97? If so, how many others were? Out of 2-3 hun thou upsers on strike then how many actually walked the walk?
If I remember right, you only got into the fund if you walked and could PROVE you walked. I pulled many double shifts (gladly, I might add) because there just wasn't enough people interested to come down.
"Not going to do much for most UPSers"? Don't need to. Most take the attitude, "I didn't mean ME!!!!!".

nospinzone

Spinzone,
Thanks for confirming what I posted was correct.
Also, a real big thanks for posting that the apwa plan is to file a RM petition.
Not a RC petition.... because the apwa is NOT a union.
UPS is behind the apwa. Plain and simple. :cool: Thanks.
-Bug-
Is that the best reply you have? I just ate your lunch and that's all you have to come back with? Maybe something with some substance and that is factual. The hyperlink button will work for you too. Back up all the lies you're trying to spread. I expected more, BUG.

APWA is not a union..... Is that the position of the IBT? Why won't you step out from behind your handle and say that as the paid Teamster employee you are.

Excerpts from BUG's posts on T-Net said:
  • Don't get me wrong.... I'm Union to the bone.... Get paid to do it....
  • Nothing more than I like than "weeding" out bad management....
  • Was in Chicago on Nov. 19 at the Central States meeting. Not to much I don't know about the condition of the fund. Deal with it everyday.
  • I have taken cases, along with many other Locals, to the National Grievance Panel only to be ruled that "There is no contract violation".
Go ahead BUG. If you really believe that APWA is not a union, put the support of your employer, IBT, behind your words.

UPS79,
Just as with every other UPS employee, supporting the APWA is a personal choice of their own free will. You should ask them.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Spinzone,

Galen Munroe, Teamsters press secretary, said in a statement, “We don’t believe that the APWA is a legitimate labor union, they have no filings with the Department of Labor and they have never negotiated any contracts.”

What don't you understand.... ?? The apwa is not a Union.

You have posted that the apwa is going to file a RM Petition.... You provided a link in your previous post...

Thanks for showing the readers of this forum that a RM Petition is a Employer driven petition.

Pensions & Investments Online

Van Skillboy claims 12,000 have paid the $150.00 initiation fee.... Prove it. Open the books at the apwa office....

The apwa doesn't have anything but a website and a P.O. Box.

You must think that the employee's of UPS are stupid....

-Bug-

brett636

Spinzone,

Galen Munroe, Teamsters press secretary, said in a statement, “We don’t believe that the APWA is a legitimate labor union, they have no filings with the Department of Labor and they have never negotiated any contracts.”

What don't you understand.... ?? The apwa is not a Union.

You have posted that the apwa is going to file a RM Petition.... You provided a link in your previous post...

Thanks for showing the readers of this forum that a RM Petition is a Employer driven petition.

Pensions & Investments Online

Van Skillboy claims 12,000 have paid the $150.00 initiation fee.... Prove it. Open the books at the apwa office....

The apwa doesn't have anything but a website and a P.O. Box.

You must think that the employee's of UPS are stupid....

-Bug-

Bug- Their word is their bond. I mean the APWA are such truth speakers that every thing they say is 100% true and they would never lie to a UPS employee. Like how they said they successfully stopped the Teamsters from unionizing UPSF, and...wait...that never happened. Nevermind. :lol:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
brett,

Here is something to laugh at.... spin wants to quote me from T-net.... but got "spanked" over at T-net.....

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,377

Mr Moderator,
Thankyou for your forward response. Your concerns are noted and you should be applauded for attempting to maintain the integrity of Teamster.net as the International Brotherhood of Teamsters has always been a bastion and champion for integrity. Please allow me to address your concerns.

1. They are not a union.
APWA IS NOT A UNION. This is an association of UPS employees who are displeased with the representation and pension management provided by its current collective bargaining agent. APWA will not be a union until a vote to decertify and replace has occurred among UPS hourly employees.
2. There is no paperwork filed with the United States Department of Labor regarding the so-called APWA and no such body exists.
There will be no paperwork filed with the USDL until a vote to decertify and replace the current agent has been initiated. But stay posted, as before this year is out there will be paperwork filed with the NLRB.
3. The APWA has not held any election for anything.
Please see above
4. The APWA has not disclosed any information about its finances or where and how much money it gets or spends.
Since when is this a requirement to validate a representative entity? Teamster members had to sue IBT to see its finances.
5. The APWA intentionally is deceptive and hides the information reletive to registrar of the website.
APWA leadership is comprised of Van Skillman, a feeder driver of 25yrs in Greensboro, NC; Danny Eason, a feeder driver of 32yrs in Raleigh, NC. They can be contacted through their website.
6. The APWA has no physical address.
APWA
P. O. Box 58427
Raleigh, NC 27658
The need for administrative offices/meeting halls will follow decertification vote.
7. The APWA asks for money.
APWA accepts donations and financial support from individuals who are displeased with Teamster representation and wish to replace their bargaining agent. Teamsters does the same thing,,except these monies are called union dues. And as Ive talked to some of the guys….they aint too happy about paying these dues to the Teamsters anymore.
8. No aspect of the APWA can be confirmed as legitimate.
Please visit Delaware's corporation status website(http://www.state.de.us/corp/onlinestatus.shtml) file number 3893754 to verify the corporation status. IRS granted tax exempt status to APWA in the last quarter of 2005. If you so wish, im sure the IRS would provide you with information they have available.
9. People have purposefully tried to create multiple identities to deceive the audience of this website.
Anonymity is not deception. Web based forums thrive on anonymity and the free flow of ideas without fear of endangerment by opposing parties. Seeing that Teamsters is synonymous with felony and mob related activities, I could see where the need for anonymity would be heightened. And as I reviewed some of the older posts, I noticed that members defaming APWA might have used multiple identities. That door swings both ways, Mr Moderator.
10. Not one person claiming to be with APWA will not answer the simple question of whether they have ever represented any union member for anything, even as shop steward.
Have you emailed this question to APWA? Have you made the effort to contact them and ask these questions? They do not read minds, but they do read email. I am not an APWA officer, nor have I ever been a union representative/shop steward. How does this disqualify me from serving a group of my co-workers should I so desire? From what I hear, this was not an issue with the large group of drivers in attendance several weeks ago in Lousiville and Tennessee. Any leadership with integrity, and a vision for the future is an improvement on what is currently in place.
11. ”Until the so-called APWA is registered with the DOL and has a physical address and has a fairly elected leadership of some kind and does not solicit money I will not change my position.”
In requiring these expectations, which you know will only be realized after Teamsters has been decertified, you establish a weak validation for your censorship. But I guess there are some perks to being a web board moderator.
12. ”One thing I would like to suggest to these folks would be to put a open forum up on their website if they are not satisfied with their treatment here.”
That’s not a bad idea. But even if it does happen, this would not remove discussion from your webboard. Any forum where UPS employees meet to converse will encounter these topics. Im afraid this discussion is in no means isolated to teamster.net.

Thankyou and have a lovely day.
Nospin

30andout

I just have one silly question. Were the teamsters a union before they had anyone to represent? Bug.... Brett.... Anyone.

U

UPS Freight worker

When the Teamsters were first formed, there was no NLRB or any laws to protect union seeking workers. It wasn't until 1937 until unions were given legal rights to form and laws to protect them. The Teamsters were not a union in the eyes of the law until the Taylor Act of 1937. The apwa has these legal rights to form a union. So, register with the NLRB and it will be a legal union, otherwise it is not one.

twnjrspc

APWA kicked off the decert/election process this morning in Louisville. Danny Eason stood with local APWA supporters from that hub for two hours and handed out NLRB cards to receptive employees during the shift change. The local Teamsters business agent Kevin Evans showed up a hour and a half into the process and in response...............................distributed cartoons.:lol:

Dividing Members’ Energy

Parcel Workers Association: Not the Right Course

February 22, 2007. A group of UPS workers, with
encouragement from management, is attempting to oust the Teamsters Union on a national scale. This outfit, the American Parcel Workers Association, is a wrong turn down a blind alley for Teamsters who want positive change.
The APWA leaders spread UPS corporate propaganda on our pensions. Check www.MakeUPSDeliver.org for the facts on this matter. The APWA advocates an anti-union “right to work state” posture, insisting that UPS workers should be able to decline to pay their union dues, sticking the rest of us with the bill. Their attorney’s firm advertises that they help corporations break unions and force health care concessions on workers. In short, they are against basic union principles.
The APWA has attracted the interest of a number of UPS Teamsters in the South who are frustrated with the Hoffa leadership and the pension cuts imposed by the trustees of the Central States Fund.
The APWA is doomed to fail because the majority of Teamsters are not going to vote out the Teamsters Union and leave behind their pensions, except for their vested rights. They are not going to give up union protection for an untested association.
But in the process, we are concerned that this organization can divert membership energy into a blind alley. Teamsters fed up with pension cuts and leaders who lie to them may head down that alley, instead of on a positive road for change.
If UPS Teamsters want change, and many do want change in our union, we have the tools to make it happen. First of all, we can elect our top IBT officials. James Hoffa was reelected Teamster president in November with 174,900 votes. There are 230,000 UPS Teamsters, and the number is growing. Do the math: UPS workers have the power to elect our top leaders. We can elect leaders in our local unions. And we have a right to vote by secret ballot, by majority rule, on our contract and contract supplements.
Are those hard to accomplish? You bet. But they are a hell of a lot easier than uniting 230,000 Teamsters to leave their union to end up with no protection.
It was Teamsters for a Democratic Union that fought for and won all these rights.
If Teamsters had been distracted into anti-union efforts like the APWA, we never would have won the right to elect our top leaders or majority rule on our contract votes, or 25-and-out; we would not have won our 1997 strike.
We respect the right of all Teamsters to consider any option. Check out the facts for yourself. If you want positive change, the right course is Teamsters for a Democratic Union, a movement that is 100 percent Teamster, 100 percent noncorruptible, and with a proven track record of positive victories.:thumbup1:

Ironshot

Unfortunately, corruption has killed the IBT in every form...The TDU claims no corruption but again controls nothing but a few locals at best. Thirty years and this is it? Ineffective at best.
TEAMSTERS (IBT)
Hoffa Re-Elected for Third Term; Corruption Still a Factor
Winning a third term in office was the easy part for James P. Hoffa, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Few observers gave his perennial challenger, Tom L, much of a chance. Aside from the advantages of incumbency and last-name recognition, Hoffa had outspent Leedham $3 million to $300,000, according to campaign forms filed with a federal election supervisor. But keeping corruption out of his union will be the hard part. Edwin Stier, the lawyer who headed the union’s internal reform operation during 1999-2004 believes that as long as Hoffa remains in control, the IBT will be anything but clean. “By the time I left, Hoffa and his people had abandoned its efforts to deal with corruption within their union,” Stier told Union Corruption Update in an exclusive interview. “There have been no Teamster-initiated investigations of wrongdoing since then.” Stier is a partner in the law firm Stier Anderson, LLC, based in Skillman, N.J., with a Washington, D.C. office.

Hoffa took over the Teamster reins in the spring of 1999, after defeating Portland, Ore. chieftain Leedham in a special election the previous year. He defeated Leedham again in a regular election in 2001, and once more this past fall, each time winning by a nearly 2-to-1 majority. Hoffa hand-picked Stier, an ex-federal prosecutor who spent at least a decade cleaning up the notoriously mobbed-up Teamsters Local 560 in New Jersey, to set the international union’s house in order. The Teamsters had been under federal receivership since 1989, when the union agreed to an out-of-court civil RICO settlement with the Justice Department rather than fight overwhelming evidence of its longtime collusion with organized crime. Hoffa was driven to end federal supervision. Stier assembled a staff to document corruption and develop a course of action to eliminate it. The proposed reform plan, going by the name Project RISE (Reform, Integrity, Strength, Ethics), hopefully would put the union on the road to full independence.

In the wake of the 1989 settlement, the Justice Department set up an enforcement panel known as the Independent Review Board (IRB). Project RISE worked closely with the IRB to initiate probes and secure convictions. Hoffa’s legacy was not fighting corruption, though he did for a variety of reasons place locals under trusteeship. Though he often criticized his predecessor, Ron Carey (himself removed from the union for tacit approval of a money-laundering scheme related to his 1996 re-election campaign), Hoffa’s main interest appeared to be consolidating power. Stier over time became disenchanted. Project RISE released a massive report in 2002 warning that certain locals still were controlled by organized crime. He cited the cases of an old Hoffa ally, Mike Bane, head of Local 614 in Pontiac, Mich., and Hoffa’s chief of staff, Carlow Scalf, whom he accused of working with Chicago gangsters to sabotage an investigation of locals in that city. Scalf two years ago pleaded guilty to embezzling nearly $70,000, and was suspended from the union for 60 days.

Stier’s disenchantment continued to grow. Things came to a head in late April 2004, when he and his entire 20-person staff of investigators and lawyers resigned in protest. Hoffa subsequently hired another ex-federal prosecutor, Ed McDonald, ostensibly to continue the cleanup. But the underlying purpose, insists Stier, was to discredit Project RISE’s work. “Neither McDonald nor his people talked to me regarding any aspect of my investigations,” Stier remarked. “He was there solely to lend credibility to Hoffa’s side of the story. Since the spring of 2004 there have been no union-initiated investigations.”

Meanwhile, Tom L and his allies at a union dissident group, Teamsters for a Democratic Union (TDU), had made corruption a key issue during his most recent run for international president. Unfortunately, they never could wean away Hoffa loyalists or even generate excitement; only 21 percent of the rank-and-file membership even bothered to mail in their ballots. TDU promises to carry on the good fight. “The election is over,” noted the group on its website (www.tdu.org). “Hoffa needs to stop acting like a politician and start acting like a leader who can unite working Teamsters to win.” Unfortunately for TDU, if Hoffa runs for re-election in 2011 and his opponent once again is Leedham, he’s not likely to heed such words. (Newark Star-Ledger, 5/10/04; Teamsters for a Democratic Union; other sources).

Once again no action Leedham will give false hope, produce zero results, same old story. Just like (wink, wink) no mob relationships.

out of the Chicago IBT locals.

Bill

spinzone,

Why is the apwa not registered with the dept of labor as a union ?

Why is the apwa's tax status listed as "non-profit religious organization" ?

Why don't you explain to the folks that after a decertification from the Teamsters they will work for a year with no contract or representation....

You expect that you can build a strike fund in 6 months.... Dream on. The Teamsters have 60 million in ours.

Then your are going to cut dues in half after 7 months.... Right.

Where are you going to get money for a Pac fund.... Can't use dues for that.... Has to come from donations from the members.

Your overhead would be lower.... The apwa is only 2 people.

-Bug-
If the Teamsters had $60,000,000 in the strike fund as you claim, then why did the Teamsters go on strike in 1997 and give its members only $55 a week. Only some of them received this small amount before the Teamsters could no longer pay anyone else. Who can support a family on $55 a week? Great strike fund!!! Then the Teamsters had the nerve to collect union dues that month, thus reducing the payout to a measly $5 for the week. If you want to look at a joke of a union, look no further than the Teamsters.

Bill

Spinzone,

Thanks for confirming what I posted was correct.

Also, a real big thanks for posting that the apwa plan is to file a RM petition.

Not a RC petition.... because the apwa is NOT a union.

UPS is behind the apwa. Plain and simple. :cool: Thanks.

-Bug-
Once again union man, you make another statement that you can not verify. This is simply not correct, but your aim is to keep spewing lies to mislead the flock, in order to protect your job and huge pension that is probably 100% funded or better.

Bill

Dividing Members’ Energy

Parcel Workers Association: Not the Right Course

February 22, 2007. A group of UPS workers, with
encouragement from management, is attempting to oust the Teamsters Union on a national scale. This outfit, the American Parcel Workers Association, is a wrong turn down a blind alley for Teamsters who want positive change.
The APWA leaders spread UPS corporate propaganda on our pensions. Check www.MakeUPSDeliver.org for the facts on this matter. The APWA advocates an anti-union “right to work state” posture, insisting that UPS workers should be able to decline to pay their union dues, sticking the rest of us with the bill. Their attorney’s firm advertises that they help corporations break unions and force health care concessions on workers. In short, they are against basic union principles.
The APWA has attracted the interest of a number of UPS Teamsters in the South who are frustrated with the Hoffa leadership and the pension cuts imposed by the trustees of the Central States Fund.
The APWA is doomed to fail because the majority of Teamsters are not going to vote out the Teamsters Union and leave behind their pensions, except for their vested rights. They are not going to give up union protection for an untested association.
But in the process, we are concerned that this organization can divert membership energy into a blind alley. Teamsters fed up with pension cuts and leaders who lie to them may head down that alley, instead of on a positive road for change.
If UPS Teamsters want change, and many do want change in our union, we have the tools to make it happen. First of all, we can elect our top IBT officials. James Hoffa was reelected Teamster president in November with 174,900 votes. There are 230,000 UPS Teamsters, and the number is growing. Do the math: UPS workers have the power to elect our top leaders. We can elect leaders in our local unions. And we have a right to vote by secret ballot, by majority rule, on our contract and contract supplements.
Are those hard to accomplish? You bet. But they are a hell of a lot easier than uniting 230,000 Teamsters to leave their union to end up with no protection.
It was Teamsters for a Democratic Union that fought for and won all these rights.
If Teamsters had been distracted into anti-union efforts like the APWA, we never would have won the right to elect our top leaders or majority rule on our contract votes, or 25-and-out; we would not have won our 1997 strike.
We respect the right of all Teamsters to consider any option. Check out the facts for yourself. If you want positive change, the right course is Teamsters for a Democratic Union, a movement that is 100 percent Teamster, 100 percent noncorruptible, and with a proven track record of positive victories.:thumbup1:
We just had an election between Hoffa and Leedham. Approximately 20% of the members voted. Pretty poor turnout. Why do you think that such a small turnout occurred? The simple truth is that it really did not make a difference who won the election. The Teamsters are obligated to pool the pension money from all companies that contribute and disperse them amongst the retirees. UPS contributes the majority of the pension money, but only 40% goes to its employees. This is the main reason (there are many others) that the APWA is forming. We want 100% of the pension money that UPS contributes on our behalf. We don't want to share it with retirees of other companies and we certainly are sick and tired of the Teamsters managing the fund as if it is their own money.

Lizzard Toungue

Union Guy If you spent this much time and effort representing your members the way you produce this IBT BS and propaganda may bee there would not be this big push to oust the teamsters. Your like a jack-in.the -box, the IBT winds you up with their childish nonsense and you expect anybody with even a small amount of intelligence to believe it.

twnjrspc

APWA kicked off the decert/election process this morning in Louisville. Danny Eason stood with local APWA supporters from that hub for two hours and handed out NLRB cards to receptive employees during the shift change. The local Teamsters business agent Kevin Evans showed up a hour and a half into the process and in response...............................distributed cartoons.:lol:

We just had an election between Hoffa and Leedham. Approximately 20% of the members voted. Pretty poor turnout. Why do you think that such a small turnout occurred? The simple truth is that it really did not make a difference who won the election. The Teamsters are obligated to pool the pension money from all companies that contribute and disperse them amongst the retirees. UPS contributes the majority of the pension money, but only 40% goes to its employees. This is the main reason (there are many others) that the APWA is forming. We want 100% of the pension money that UPS contributes on our behalf. We don't want to share it with retirees of other companies and we certainly are sick and tired of the Teamsters managing the fund as if it is their own money.

Read your own words: "We just had an election between Hoffa and Leedham. Approximately 20% of the members voted. Pretty poor turnout."

Then what on God's green earth makes you think that you'll(APWA)will get 30% (70,000), of 230,000 UPS Teamsters, in 60 days non the less, to decertify, give up what rights and protections they have, to join an untested plan, that's on paper only. There's more to all this than just the pension, but that's always been the Company's focus, as seems to be the APWA's. Hmmmn?

Simply put,this situation is no different than our Governments, that are elected to represent us. For hundreds of years they have been corrupted, and have failed us. Does that mean we revoke our citizenship, and what rights, benefits, and protections we have, to follow a handful of people that have divised an untested plan, that merely exists on paper? Absolutely not!

I'm sorry Engineer 79, but while there's alot of apathy, and simple minds out there, that leaves the APWA to only prey on the stupid.:ohmy:

sawdusttv

NOT THAT IT IS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS, BUT mYSELF AND FEEDERS ARE fOUNDING CHARTER MEMBERS OF THE APWA AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!

brett636

Read your own words: "We just had an election between Hoffa and Leedham. Approximately 20% of the members voted. Pretty poor turnout."

Then what on God's green earth makes you think that you'll(APWA)will get 30% (70,000), of 230,000 UPS Teamsters, in 60 days non the less, to decertify, give up what rights and protections they have, to join an untested plan, that's on paper only. There's more to all this than just the pension, but that's always been the Company's focus, as seems to be the APWA's. Hmmmn?

Simply put,this situation is no different than our Governments, that are elected to represent us. For hundreds of years they have been corrupted, and have failed us. Does that mean we revoke our citizenship, and what rights, benefits, and protections we have, to follow a handful of people that have divised an untested plan, that merely exists on paper? Absolutely not!

I'm sorry Engineer 79, but while there's alot of apathy, and simple minds out there, that leaves the APWA to only prey on the stupid.:ohmy:

Unfortunatly you won't be able to convince him now that his little paper tiger "union"(I use that term very loosely with the APWA) will fail. You just need to let him find out for himself. I did not realize they only had 60 days to get the 70,000 or so cards to get an election started, but I hate seeing you wasting your time trying to convince that fool of anything other than what he believes. Atleast we will know by April that the APWA is a failure so we don't have to listen to this bull:censored2: any longer.

brett636

NOT THAT IT IS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS, BUT mYSELF AND FEEDERS ARE fOUNDING CHARTER MEMBERS OF THE APWA AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it that every supporter and supposed founding charter member of your organization has such a horrible grasp of the english language? I'm no english scholar myself, but atleast my posts can be read and understood without having to lower your level of reading comprehension below that of a 1st grader.

nospinzone

Read your own words: Simply put,this situation is no different than our Governments, that are elected to represent us. For hundreds of years they have been corrupted, and have failed us. Does that mean we revoke our citizenship, and what rights, benefits, and protections we have, to follow a handful of people that have divised an untested plan, that merely exists on paper? Absolutely not!

From the NLRB website:
Congress approved the National Labor Relations Act in 1935 to encourage a healthy relationship between private-sector workers and their employers, which policy makers viewed as vital to the national interest.....The NLRA extends many rights to workers who wish to form, join or support unions, also known as labor organizations; to workers who are already represented by unions; and to workers who join together as a group (two or more employees) without a union seeking to modify their wages or working conditions, which is known as protected concerted activities.

The Act outlines basic rights of employees as follows:

• To self-organization.
    • To form, join, or assist labor organizations.
    • To bargain collectively for wages and working conditions through representatives of their own choosing.
    • To engage in other protected concerted activities with or without a union, which are usually group activities (two or more employees acting together) attempting to improve working conditions, such as wages and benefits.
    • To refrain from any of these activities. (However a union and employer may, in a State where such agreements are permitted, enter into a lawful union-security clause).
Your analogy, twn, is a poor one and based on flawed opinion. As defined by the NLRA, employees have their right to "join, form or assist labor organizations". We, the APWA supporters, believe the IBT has failed us and no longer operates in the best interest of the UPS employee. Therefore, we have no interest in IBT elections and wish to exercise our constitutional right to join or assist the labor organization of our choice.