No Call, no show (preload)

meritocracy

We should not have Teamsters making minimum wage. It's a complete failure and embarrassment by the Teamsters leadership. Market rate adjustments needs to be addressed in the next contract.
Yup. How do you convince new part-timers to start paying dues in RtW states when it looks and feels like the COMPANY is the party hooking them up with better pay, not the union?

Back From Break
For someone whining about someone being entitled. You seem pretty entitled yourself.

I'm not whining about someone thinking they are entitled. I'm stating a fact.

I'm also not the one that took a job knowing what the pay rate was and then bitching about the pay rate but unwilling to stand up and fight for a higher pay rate. That is you, not me.

We should not have Teamsters making minimum wage.

We don't.

In most states, the starting rate is almost double the minimum wage. Even in the few super progressive bankrupt states, the starting wage is still higher than minimum wage.

And you sit on your fat tush and deliver cardboard boxes like a pizza guy. So what?

I'm not complaining about my wage rate, you are. I stood up and fought for what I got, you didn't.

Maybe you can learn something here. Band all your part time workers together, stand up and fight, and you may get a pretty big raise. But don't expect me to fight for you when you won't fight for yourself.

Solidarity is me standing with you, but it is also you standing with me. There is no solidarity on your part if you will not stand up and fight, if you will not stand next to me. So don't bitch to me about solidarity. Stand beside me, and I will fight for you. Hide behind a computer screen and bitch and moan, and you are on your own.

nWo

I'm not whining about someone thinking they are entitled. I'm stating a fact.

I'm also not the one that took a job knowing what the pay rate was and then bitching about the pay rate but unwilling to stand up and fight for a higher pay rate. That is you, not me.

We don't.

In most states, the starting rate is almost double the minimum wage. Even in the few super progressive bankrupt states, the starting wage is still higher than minimum wage.

I'm not complaining about my wage rate, you are. I stood up and fought for what I got, you didn't.

Maybe you can learn something here. Band all your part time workers together, stand up and fight, and you may get a pretty big raise. But don't expect me to fight for you when you won't fight for yourself.

Solidarity is me standing with you, but it is also you standing with me. There is no solidarity on your part if you will not stand up and fight, if you will not stand next to me. So don't bitch to me about solidarity. Stand beside me, and I will fight for you. Hide behind a computer screen and bitch and moan, and you are on your own.

People are fighting. And your flopped on your fatass attacking them for it.

Thistleshifter

So how much is the Union initiation fees and how are they paid ( all at once out of pay or spread out over period of time) Newbie part time preloaded here. Thank you.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
We asked him. Fulltimers did not vote.
BS.

I am a PTer. Spend my day talking to PTers.

I voted.
Could only find a couple coworkers who did.

Going after FTers is playing right into managements' hands. They WANT us to blame the FTers. Divide and conquer, and you guys are playing it beautifully.

PT Car Washer

BS.

I voted.

Going after FTers is playing right into managements' hands. They WANT us to blame the FTers. Divide and conquer, and you guys are playing it beautifully.
What other Union allows a majority of its members to become low wage PT employees? And then blame the members.

nWo

BS.

I voted.

Just to be clear here I'm not going after FTers. I'm mocking the FTers on this board that constantly blame Parttimers for everything. We guys making $38/hr having a complete mental breakdown over a part timer making More than $15/hr.

J.D. Hogg

OK. You tell me. What do you think a part timer should be paid to load/unload cardboard boxes from a trailer, or to load/unload cardboard boxes into a package car?

I understand it is a physical job. I did it for 3 years. But it requires no education what-so-ever and no special skillset. I agree that you should be paid more because UPS can afford to pay you more, not that the job deserves a higher wage than what Amazon, ABF, FedEx, DHL, USPS, Walmart, etc, pays.

Unions are not what they used to be. Belonging to a Union now does not guarantee that you make an ungodly wage. It's more about working conditions, vacations, and benefits. Look at Amazon in Alabama. The union vote was not necessarily about the pay, it was more about working conditions.

Case-in-point. Part timers do not stick around very long. The turn-over is high. Why should I fight for someone that quits after 6 months when he won't fight for himself?

What do you want me to do, tell the Teamsters that I am going to strike if they don't pay part timers more? Or because 5% of the part timers make their voices heard and ask the Teamsters to increase their wage? You have the numbers. You can control the entire contract if you just make your voices heard and fight.

If the part timers fought and got a contract turned down, the Teamsters would see your voice and fight for what you wanted and I would walk the picket line right beside you until you got what you wanted. But you want me to walk the picket line without you beside me. You want me to fight for you without you beside me. And I mean you as a whole, not you as one of the small percentage that actually votes.

Welcome to the real world. Not enough of you band together to make a difference. The Teamsters did finally raise the starting rate from $8/hr to $15/hr and got it on par with other companies. They also got you over $10/hr worth of healthcare and a pension on top of that. Nobody ever talks of that. How about that pension and vacations?

So how much do you want? How much should you be paid? Are you willing to put in the time get all your co-workers to band together? Do you go to union meetings to try and get your voice heard? Do you submit contract proposals at contract time?

Or do you just do nothing and expect the Teamsters to negotiate $25/hr for you while you do nothing?

A Union is about solidarity. A Union is about sticking together and fighting as a whole. It's hard to fight as a whole when 60% of the membership won't, or is afraid, or is clueless and won't even step into the octagon.

When I was part time, we stuck together with the full timers and it was one voice. And the full timers stuck with us because we fought right next to them. It's not like that today for part timers, and yes, there is a myriad of reasons why, but the plain truth is that the part timers do not band together like they used to.
You are so right about part-time Pre-loaders NOT sticking together, not backing each other up, and just not giving a darn about anything -- except maybe complaining.

My part-time co-workers routinely tattle-tale on one another, flat-out refuse to work with anyone but their best buddy, and put in the very bare minimum amount of effort when they bother showing up to work.

Unfortunately, workers who actually care about doing a good job and helping each other out are a tiny minority.