No comment!WTF

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate what's the moral ? Loose lips sink ships? This guy was making 100k a year. He should've been happy. For us, when pockets touch, you don't care too much.

The moral was he ignored the ban on talking to the press and it cost him his job. This is why most major corporations or government entities have spokespeople----let them do their jobs so that you can keep yours.

One of the first thing that we are taught as UPSers is not to talk poorly about the competition, especially in front of a customer.

hypo hanna

Wow. Everybody willing to talk and get fired but nobody willing to sign union cards? Fascinating.
In all my years at FedEx I have never seen a card much less a union representative. I live in a very anti labor state.
Show me the card and I will sign in a heartbeat. One lesson FedEx taught me over the years is the value of union representation.

hypo hanna

Why hide? I'd answer any and all questions and make sure they spelled my name correctly. FedEx can't prevent free speech. I'd be more than happy to let them try to fire me afterwards for talking to press. I'm sure a competent lawyer could make that a very profitable exit plan for me.
Why go public if I can get the truth out without risk to myself?

bbsam

Staff member
In all my years at FedEx I have never seen a card much less a union representative. I live in a very anti labor state.
Show me the card and I will sign in a heartbeat. One lesson FedEx taught me over the years is the value of union representation.

have you looked for your local IBT? Maybe asked a UPS driver where it might be?

hypo hanna

It could affect the publics perception of FedEx... it's not all Panda flying and electric delivery vans as the propaganda dept would have them believe.

bbsam

Staff member
Send me one..I'll sign it in blood. As I mentioned before, I contacted the IBT myself - still awaiting their reply (and we all know I'll be waiting til Hell freezes thanks to Fred and his politico bed buddies). What more am I supposed to do? Tell me, since you're such an expert in all things pertaining to FedEx Express.
Somewhere, sometime, somehow, there will have to be a wave of Express drivers who bite the bullet and get wiped out. That would take some with the courage of their convictions, so maybe none here.

vantexan

Somewhere, sometime, somehow, there will have to be a wave of Express drivers who bite the bullet and get wiped out. That would take some with the courage of their convictions, so maybe none here.

Well I did quit. And like a fly on a pimple of an elephant's butt they didn't notice or could care less. The only one who got hurt by it was me. Easy to be snide and push people in hopes they'll self immolate but there's no real alternatives in this economy with the exception of BS jobs like Ground. Why debase ourselves further by going to work for Ground?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It could affect the publics perception of FedEx... it's not all Panda flying and electric delivery vans as the propaganda dept would have them believe.

Exactly. The media think we're happy as clams to work at one of the "Top 100 Companies", when the exact opposite is true. The public thinks we love our jobs and that we are paid well...both lies. And FedEx PR has very successfully crafted an image of a company that cares, that is green, and is ethical, the biggest lies of all.

They are very afraid that employees will spill the beans, and they have always controlled our contact with the media with an iron fist. When there was an aircraft incident at our local ramp, we were told in as many words that we would be fired if we talked with the media. They never want the truth revealed...just their highly modified version of it.

bbsam

Staff member
Well I did quit. And like a fly on a pimple of an elephant's butt they didn't notice or could care less. The only one who got hurt by it was me. Easy to be snide and push people in hopes they'll self immolate but there's no real alternatives in this economy with the exception of BS jobs like Ground. Why debase ourselves further by going to work for Ground?
Well, van, I know you think highly of yourself, but you are not a "wave of Express drivers". And nobody invited you to apply at Ground anyway. What makes you think we'd be interested in you anyway? Not often I meet someone who rivals my own conceit, but you are giving a damn good shot at it in just this one post!:wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Wrong. That would be pointless, unless we had IBT lawyers on-hand to force FedEx to comply with labor laws and stop all of their anti-union threats and bullying tactics.

If I go post union information on the breakroom bulletin board, which is perfectly legal, I am a dead duck, unless I have representation that will force FedEx to play by the rules.

Oh, I couldn't post union information anyway because the local IBT won't return calls, much less do something that matters.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Again, you don't get it. We aren't allowed to talk to the press because they are afraid of the truth getting out. Sure, every company has official spokespeople, but I can get canned for talking to the media about anything, even if it doesn't involve FedEx. If I see someone run over on the street, I cannot talk to the media about what I saw. FedEx will let me talk with the police and testify in court...that's it.

The degree of control extends to the point of ridiculous. For example, we never see reps from United Way, other charities, or even government agencies that affect our jobs because FedEx has a policy prohibiting non-employees from entering FedEx facilities. Why? In order to keep out the Teamsters. By prohibiting everyone, they also give themselves an out for not allowing IBT reps on-site.

You understand so little about the way FedEx operates, yet you get on here and spew crap about what we should do and say. It gets old.

Get yourself informed.

vantexan

Well, van, I know you think highly of yourself, but you are not a "wave of Express drivers". And nobody invited you to apply at Ground anyway. What makes you think we'd be interested in you anyway? Not often I meet someone who rivals my own conceit, but you are giving a damn good shot at it in just this one post!:wink2:

Yeah, Ground isn't looking for experienced delivery people, are they? Explains alot.

MAKAVELI

Yeah, Ground isn't looking for experienced delivery people, are they? Explains alot.

Yea just people willing to work their asses off for min wage or lower.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
You understand so little about the way FedEx operates, yet you get on here and spew crap about what we should do and say. It gets old.

Get yourself informed.
that's just the way internet trolls get their jollies. They get their kicks out of infiltrating groups in which they truly know nothing about, and endlessly espousing their "wisdom", constantly cajoling and belittling, making blanket statements and getting in their little digs and jabs in the hopes of getting under peoples' skin. There is just no end to them. I've just come to accept them as part of this "new world" (you know - that same world we've been told we must now embrace). They're also the same folks who write for Wikipedia.

Those who have never sat on our side of the fence will just never get it. They think we're a bunch of whiners who somehow have gotten what we so richly deserve. After all, we are the "underperforming" opco at FedEx - as though it's somehow our fault.

bbsam

Staff member
I am saying what I have been saying and what R1a said for a very long time. If there is crap being spewed it is by those to frightened or trapped to take his advice. You know it as well. Don't lecture me about what is known and unknown. We have both seen too much for that.
Again, you don't get it. We aren't allowed to talk to the press because they are afraid of the truth getting out. Sure, every company has official spokespeople, but I can get canned for talking to the media about anything, even if it doesn't involve FedEx. If I see someone run over on the street, I cannot talk to the media about what I saw. FedEx will let me talk with the police and testify in court...that's it.

The degree of control extends to the point of ridiculous. For example, we never see reps from United Way, other charities, or even government agencies that affect our jobs because FedEx has a policy prohibiting non-employees from entering FedEx facilities. Why? In order to keep out the Teamsters. By prohibiting everyone, they also give themselves an out for not allowing IBT reps on-site.

Get yourself informed.