No double time over 60

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The contract also says that UPS can inrease to 70 due to acts of God or emergency conditions.

With approval from the union. And even then they'd have to offer from the top, force from the bottom to go over 60.

The original question is whether the company must pay double time over 60. @Bubblehead seems to have suggested (or I inferred as much from his post) that they don't have to pay double time if they do not get approval from the union to start using the 70 hour rule.

If the company unilaterally switches to the 70 hour rule, they violate the contract. If they do not switch to the 70 hour rule, and force drivers to go over 60, they violate DOT regs. That is, unless hours over 60 are performed in non-driving capacities, in which case they may not be violating the contract by not paying double time, and likely are not violating DOT if they meet all the other rules.

I figured it would have to be non-driving. In which case I agree, unfortunately, that the double time doesn't apply.

You are correct.

I looked, I don't see language that specifies the work that qualifies for 2x pay. It simply reads, "Any regular or Article 22.4 package car driver who volunteers or is forced to work over sixty (60) hours in a week pursuant to this paragraph will be compensated at double-time for those hours." I dgaf what you're doing, it's double-time if you're over 60.

I looked, I don't see language that specifies the work that qualifies for 2x pay. It simply reads, "Any regular or Article 22.4 package car driver who volunteers or is forced to work over sixty (60) hours in a week pursuant to this paragraph will be compensated at double-time for those hours." I dgaf what you're doing, it's double-time if you're over 60.
They cannot force you to work over 60 hours
Unless it's during peak

They cannot force you to work over 60 hours
Unless it's during peak

I don't see that either.

"The Company shall not change the DOT sixty (60) hours in seven (7) days to the seventy (70) hours in eight (8) days rule for package drivers except at Peak. With prior approval of the Company’s President of Labor Relations and the Teamster’s Package Division Director, the DOT standard may also be changed if required due to Acts of God or emergencies creating service disruptions."

Don’t worry guys the union will let UPS walk all over you. It’s funny to see both pre-load and drivers being pushed around by UPS. UPS is trying to mandate that ALL drivers and loaders work a 6 day work week, no matter who you are!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

It says the company has to change to the 70 hr rule. "Pursuant to this paragraph". But I hope the challenge causes that to be interpreted differently. If our elected officials could leverage the public support for us "essential workers", maybe they could get the company, or an arbitrator to agree to an employee friendly interpretation.