"No family life" with UPS

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2485.PNG
What are people doing at 2:30pm clogging up the roadways? I don't get it. I bet half could just stay home.

I bet if we valued cooking at home more in this culture our traffic would be reduced by 25%.

ups1990

Its no secret that those drivers who are fortunate enough to have a caring and understanding spouse that takes care of the children and drives them to school and to the many extra curricular activities are the ones with the better all around attitude in the hub and on route. This job takes its toll on single fathers and mothers.
For those contemplating marriage, make sure the person fully understands that their PPO will come at a significant price.

Dumbo

i

How about you revisit this topic in say 20 or 25 years ( seriously doubt you'll make it that far)

But, if you do I'll bet your attitude is not the same

What makes you think I won't "make it that far". No offence but you have absolutely no idea who I am or what I've been through or my work ethic. You are one guy I've noticed that stands out on this forum as being cynical and really just rude to people who are just trying to seek advice. I don't know if you just feel the need to get your post count up, or get "likes" as if this is some social media gratification thing for you or what, but you post on almost every thread with no real content but just pompous responses.

It really says a lot that you feel so negatively about your job yet you spend so much of your free time on a forum about said job. I suggest you either help people or find something better to do with your free time. Judging people and assuming they aren't up to your level is both arrogant and ignorant. Maybe your a decent guy that just uses this place to vent, and that's fine, but maybe you should use your knowledge of the job to help people and make your job which you obviously are experienced at, better for new people joining the ranks...but hey, you do what you need to make you feel better.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's not about values. It's pure laziness. Plenty of people on my route don't even own a stove. Just sleep till 10 or11 then go dragging into Subway with their pajamas on and get a footlong. Thirsty? Ride into town and get a soda. Rinse and repeat.

Describes retired life to a tee-------although we do have a stove------it think.

Tiereffinthree

His boss also probably only pays a pittance salary per day or under 20 bucks an hour, no to little benefits. Do you really want to copy FXGs lead?

Cause PooPS could combine the best of both worlds (FedEx routes/workload UPS benefits/wages) just by expansion of workforce and shrinking of routes. Pure corporate greed fuels all this numbers bs. Its almost to the point violence is justified. Woolsbbeing pulled over so many sheep eyes.... Idkk why people see this as brain surgery.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
What makes you think I won't "make it that far". No offence but you have absolutely no idea who I am or what I've been through or my work ethic. You are one guy I've noticed that stands out on this forum as being cynical and really just rude to people who are just trying to seek advice. I don't know if you just feel the need to get your post count up, or get "likes" as if this is some social media gratification thing for you or what, but you post on almost every thread with no real content but just pompous responses.

It really says a lot that you feel so negatively about your job yet you spend so much of your free time on a forum about said job. I suggest you either help people or find something better to do with your free time. Judging people and assuming they aren't up to your level is both arrogant and ignorant. Maybe your a decent guy that just uses this place to vent, and that's fine, but maybe you should use your knowledge of the job to help people and make your job which you obviously are experienced at, better for new people joining the ranks...but hey, you do what you need to make you feel better.
This is a cancer of a job. You seem to be so ignorant of the reality that there is no reason to attempt to explain it to you

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Yo, respect your elders! He's been here and done it and moved on from UPS. All the way to the finish line. So maybe listen to what he's trying to say, you might learn something.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I don't understand why UPS doesn't hire more drivers - cut down the size of the areas so that you can work your 8 and be done? I work for Fedex ground and my current area is growing like crazy. My boss (great guy btw) is always tweaking areas and hiring new guys so that everybody has an equal amount of work. We consistently get done by 4 pm everyday. It honestly is a huge blessing that UPS decided to pass on me because they over hired. Life is short, who wants to spend their life being a slave to a job(that is unfulfilling btw) that takes up all of their personal time. Just my 2cents
Paying overtime is cheaper than more employees and vehicles on the road.

Dumbo

Yo, respect your elders! He's been here and done it and moved on from UPS. All the way to the finish line. So maybe listen to what he's trying to say, you might learn something.

Listen to what he is saying? Thing is he doesn't actually give anybody advice or help. That's my point. He hates his job yet spends every waking moment on here responding to questions with insulting one liners. "You'll never make it", "You don't sound smart enough to figure it out", not just to me but to everyone. Hey if the guy wants to come on here and vent that's fine, but he's literally just being a a-hole to every person on here at any chance he gets. The guy isn't actually helping anybody. He could easily be a mentor to other people using his experience but literally choosing to do the opposite and just bring people down.

Dumbo

This is a cancer of a job. You seem to be so ignorant of the reality that there is no reason to attempt to explain it to you

It's a blue collar job. Most blue collar jobs are tough and they are tough on the body. It can't be that bad if you still go to work everyday. For sure nobody forces you to. You make a choice to go in every day. It's not management or anybody else. Take responsibility for your own life and if you don't like it, change it.

Guess what you do when you have cancer? You get rid of it. Are you getting rid of it if you consider your job a cancer?

You sound like a millennial.

Last edited:

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
At least you guys have families. I'm working an average of 58 hours a week and don't even have time to think about starting a family. :censored2:'s ridiculous.
No bro, this is the life. We can actually afford to be awesome and do whatever the hell we want with our weekends and free time.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
This is a blessing in disguise. Buy yourself a Russian woman that speaks no English but is hot as hell,don't have any kids (300,000) each to raise them till 18 on average. Get the hell out of this place as soon as you can. You will be a millionaire if you invest your money
He would have to be the one moving to Russia for that to work.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Listen to what he is saying? Thing is he doesn't actually give anybody advice or help. That's my point. He hates his job yet spends every waking moment on here responding to questions with insulting one liners. "You'll never make it", "You don't sound smart enough to figure it out", not just to me but to everyone. Hey if the guy wants to come on here and vent that's fine, but he's literally just being a a-hole to every person on here at any chance he gets. The guy isn't actually helping anybody. He could easily be a mentor to other people using his experience but literally choosing to do the opposite and just bring people down.
Sounds like my father in-law.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Have you ever considered the fact that maybe he has a wicked sense of humor and maybe you need to lighten up some? He's seen plenty come and go. He might know a little bit.

Dumbo

Have you ever considered the fact that maybe he has a wicked sense of humor and maybe you need to lighten up some? He's seen plenty come and go. He might know a little bit.

Maybe...still waiting for that advice though. I know he knows a lot. Let's put it to use and help people. Joke all you want, I don't care, but basically just telling people he doesn't know they suck and won't make it is not being funny nor does it display any sort of job knowledge.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Maybe...still waiting for that advice though. I know he knows a lot. Let's put it to use and help people. Joke all you want, I don't care, but basically just telling people he doesn't know they suck and won't make it is not being funny nor does it display any sort of job knowledge.
Why would he offer advice to guys like you who already know everything? You're not looking for advice. You've already ignored what everyone said and countered with your own opinion on what the job is.

Dumbo

Why would he offer advice to guys like you who already know everything? You're not looking for advice. You've already ignored what everyone said and countered with your own opinion on what the job is.

I didn't ask for advice in this thread. I started it to try and grasp a comparison of professions and family life. There's a difference. Advice would be "when you are on break, sort your next 5 deliveries".... something to do with job knowledge. When have I said I know anything at all about the job? On the contrary, I'm asking for job insight based on your experience, not advice, and have said over and over again I'm new and don't have experience in this field yet. Stay on point, please.