Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
IMG_2597.JPG
Finally got to try out my Aimpoint Pro at the range. This was 3 shots off the bench with a S&W MP15 at 100 yards. 2 of them almost went in the same hole. Insane accuracy. I cant even shoot groups this tight with a scope. This was my first time ever using a red dot optic. Being able to keep both eyes open, plus the dot only being one MOA, makes it easy to shoot well. I am offically an Aimpoint fanboy now!

over9five

Staff member
Hey @soberups , what would you say is the eye relief on that? I have an M&P that I bought a scope for, and I absolutely hate it because the eye relief is too short. Looking for a replacement.

oldngray

nowhere special
Hey @soberups , what would you say is the eye relief on that? I have an M&P that I bought a scope for, and I absolutely hate it because the eye relief is too short. Looking for a replacement.

The advantage of red dot scopes is zero eye relief. It doesn't matter how close your eye is. Great for quick point and shoot but since only 1x magnification not that great for distance accuracy, which is why sober's 1 hole groups are amazing.

I put a Propoint scope on my mini-14 a long time ago for similar reasons.

over9five

Staff member
The advantage of red dot scopes is zero eye relief. It doesn't matter how close your eye is. Great for quick point and shoot but since only 1x magnification not that great for distance accuracy, which is why sober's 1 hole groups are amazing.

I put a Propoint scope on my mini-14 a long time ago for similar reasons.

GTFO! I did not know that, never even tried one. For myself, I'd never be shooting over 100 yards, hell, rarely over 50.

Johney

View attachment 118047 Finally got to try out my Aimpoint Pro at the range. This was 3 shots off the bench with a S&W MP15 at 100 yards. 2 of them almost went in the same hole. Insane accuracy. I cant even shoot groups this tight with a scope. This was my first time ever using a red dot optic. Being able to keep both eyes open, plus the dot only being one MOA, makes it easy to shoot well. I am offically an Aimpoint fanboy now!

100 yards, off the bench, dude. That's frikken good!
Good? Absolutely! Insane accuracy? In the pink or yellow is insane accuracy.

Johney

GTFO! I did not know that, never even tried one. For myself, I'd never be shooting over 100 yards, hell, rarely over 50.
Like Old said red dot scopes are more for quick acquiring of a target. You merely look quick into the scope from any angle and what the dot is on is your target.

soberups

I'll have to try one somewhere before I spend $472 on one.
I have done my research. The lower end models are all made in China and have inferior mounting systems. Aimpoint really is the way to go. They mount up rock solid with no tools, hold zero regardless of temperature, and have a battery life measured in years. You can leave it on continuously for well over a year before the battery dies. And the one-minute-of-angle dot allows for accuracy equal to that of a scope out to a hundred yards or so. The dot is crisp and clear, but tiny so it doesnt cover the whole target. And being able to keep both eyes open is a huge aid to accuracy. It even works if you forget to flip the front lens cover up!

soberups

Another advantage to the Aimpoint--on a standard AR with flip up iron sights you can co-witness the sights thru the tube. So in the unlikely event of a malfunction/breakage/dead battery, you can immediately revert back to irons which is not possible with a scope unless you use offsets.

soberups

Good? Absolutely! Insane accuracy? In the pink or yellow is insane accuracy.
From the bullseye to the center of my group is about the length of my thumb. At 100 yards. Look at the coin for size reference. I had it sighted dead center at 50 yards but it was pretty windy yesterday, plus I have a slight astigmatism which causes the dot to be a little misshapen. So I will happily take this insanely accurate group.

oldngray

nowhere special
The biggest improvement in red dot scopes is battery life. Many older ones were good and had good mounts but no way did their battery life compare to newer ones.

soberups

IMG_2607.JPG
I dont have a way to measure it in inches but it has way more eye relief than a standard scope. Since it isnt magnified, you dont have to move your head around in order to see properly thru it. You could run it on a scout mount if you wanted to. This is where I mounted mine on my MP 15 and the relief is perfect while still allowing access to the rear BUIS.