Not a 30 year job?

Box Ox

It's funny to hear management talk about "BACKING BAD" in PCM and then have your daily theme song be Juvenile's "Back That A*s Up" as ORION has you constantly backing like a hooker desperate to score her next fix.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's funny to hear management talk about "BACKING BAD" in PCM and then have your daily theme song be Juvenile's "Back That A*s Up" as ORION has you constantly backing like a hooker desperate to score her next fix.
I thought that was just sheep.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
We've been instructed to back into the end of the driveway just far enough to get out of the street if Orion has us going the opposite direction and there isn't a turn around near. This was said in multiple PCMs by management with stewards present. I don't make the rules man, I just play the game.

When you back over a kid or anyone else, who do you think will be fired and lose their job??

Take a guess. It won't be your management team.

It'll be the guy that did an unnecessary back and killed someone.

Work as directed won't save you at panel either

JL 0513

Lots of debate on whether the job is more physical today or back in the day.

-Today we get more stops, more pieces, more heavy weights, more hours
-Years ago, the worst thing was awful package cars

We still have some lingering 1980's no power steering, high step/narrow cab and door, manuals. Comparing first hand doing a day with one of these POS vs a newer car, I find virtually all the "work" is actually just fighting those old PC's. Just steering with no power steering drains more energy than any other task of the day. Add the clutch work and 2 foot high step and IMO the job was more physically demanding when you had to go out everyday in those PC's. I feel like I could do 40 more stops in a current package car and feel less worn out at the end of the day.

So I'd take the job as it is today because of the modern comforts and conveniences.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its a strange job. When I started and was a young pup and in great shape the weight limit was 50 lbs. (No more than 100 lbs could be shipped to the same consignee from a shipper per day. NO time commits on anything. You more or less ran your route as you felt was the best way. Fast forward 30 years and the weight limit was 150lbs with no cap on how much you could ship and a dozen time commits on air and pickups. Now from what I gather UPS will haul most anything and the drivers may as well have shock collars on. Who knows what the next 30 years will bring? One thing for certain it won't be pretty. I would look into getting a Government job (anything but the Post Office) if I was starting over.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
It's always funny to me when I see the "team lift" and pictures of a forklift on a package that I'm supposed to haul up three flights of stairs...but then I get back to the building with three clerk packages and a sup will yell at me about safety if I'm not carrying them correctly

35years

Gravy route
The job is not the same for everyone. Delivering 120 boxes on a rural route is an entirely different job than a bricked out industrial ball buster.
Here is how I would rank the most common routes for body wear and tear:
1.Old Industrial:
I started on the industrial routes in the old part of a city. That was by far the hardest on my body. Heavy boxes, high piece counts, lots of long caries, stairs etc. No elevators up to 4 floors. Hard on back and joints. This is harder on your body than a 200+ resi route.
2. New Industrial:
Suburban industrial parks at least, have mainly well designed docks, but the piece count and average weight of boxes takes a toll.
3. Storefront Retail:
Piece count and ave weight is less than industrial but yanking full two-wheelers thru snow or up steps is no picnic. Long walks with multiple pkgs.
4.Mall Retail
More controlled conditions (carts and few, if any, stairs). Heavy piece count however will take it's toll if your body mechanics are poor. Heat/cold is controlled as well.
5. Residential Urban/suburban:
Ave stop count is often 200+. Getting on and off the truck that many times is taxing on joints but ave weight and ave piece count (per stop and overall) is usually better than pure industrial. Don't run, jump etc. and it can be done for decades. You just need an iron will to put up with the production pressure which usually comes with a resi route.
6. Rural
It is more like delivering Saturday Air than a normal route. This is assuming they don't combine it with heavy pickups. Drive all the way to the door, very low piece counts (some with less than 110 pkgs del+p/u combined). Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than other outdoor routes. The only drawback is driving in the snow/ice but that doesn't wear your body down unless you are a white-knuckler.

After 35+ years I do feel the aches, but delivering rural is quite easy on the body. I don't ever run or hurry. My body mechanics have been nearly perfect for 2 decades. If you want to last, every movement must be evaluated for stress and done correctly including; pivoting when getting out of the seat, stepping softly off the truck, etc.
Even with perfect mechanics I could not have lasted 35+ years on a ball-buster industrial.

Last edited: