not taking lunch and getting paid

feeder53

ADKtrails
As a feeder, I was always asked about my lunch and they made me take one. I usually just stayed out in the yard in my tractor, caught up on my paperwork and took a nap. They would call me on my radio when they needed me.

browniehound

I was shocked to see that some areas of the country have an hour lunch. I'm done eating in twenty minutes! What do you do for the next forty? All it would mean for me is that I would get home a half hour later than I do now. Brutal! Don't bring that stuff around here!

Under, this is my beef also. I don't want to sit and waste sixty minutes of my life five times a week. I can eat in the two ten-minute paid breaks we get. I don't need to rest during the day. In fact, it slows me down because I get tired after siitting for sixty minutes.

But if I don't take my lunch I will be giving about $210 a week to the company. I guess this is what the company is banking on. I consider this a shady practice. The company prides itself on integrity, but will look the other way when a driver is putting break time in the DIAD and working during that time.

If it wasn't about the free labor they would let us take what we need, enter that into the DIAD and deduct that time from our pay. Some drivers will abuse this, but with today's technology and reports they will be discovered quickly and disiplined.

Its the right thing to do.

stealth8

I was shocked to see that some areas of the country have an hour lunch. I'm done eating in twenty minutes! What do you do for the next forty? All it would mean for me is that I would get home a half hour later than I do now. Brutal! Don't bring that stuff around here!

Here in Metro D.C. we get 1 hr lunch and 1- 10min break. I usually take a 30min lunchbreak at around 1:30 then take the rest of my 40mins at he end of my day, hitting a jumbo bucket at the golfcourse I deliver to. When the weather isn't agreeable I go shopping or go into the local coffee shop to access their wi-fi. Life is tough at times!! Only 2 more years to go!!! Cheers Steath8

browniehound

Here in Metro D.C. we get 1 hr lunch and 1- 10min break. I usually take a 30min lunchbreak at around 1:30 then take the rest of my 40mins at he end of my day, hitting a jumbo bucket at the golfcourse I deliver to. When the weather isn't agreeable I go shopping or go into the local coffee shop to access their wi-fi. Life is tough at times!! Only 2 more years to go!!! Cheers Steath8

Stealth, that is time well spent.

Overpaid Union Thug

Skipping lunch = working an entire hour for free. I have rarely done it. I had what I thought was good reasons for it those times but believe me....I hated it. We've had a couple of drivers code "05" lately but it's rare.

S

Sealbasher88

if u work through your lunch you a stupid,if every driver took there break between the 4th and 6th hour like they should ,i think over dispatching would stop.i take my break do all the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: resi s in the day,same the good ones when i make $35 an hour lol thanks for the free money UPS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm in one of the few bonus centers left. I get paid by the load. If I take a full lunch I get the same pay but get home later. I usually take the full half hour lunch in increments but not the breaks unless I'm light. An hour lunch is way too much.

My question is: why is the company so hell-bent on everyone putting a lunch in their DIAD? The only logical answer is they enjoy the free labor they recieve when drivers choose to work through it. Can someone give me a different reason?

Many state laws require you to take at least a 30min. lunch.

soonerbruce

My guess is that 80 % of the employees of ups take little or no lunch. I have no proof of this but do feel that I can't be far from wrong. Most drivers are too customer oriented to take a lunch that would cause them to miss any stops. Your supervisor knows this! If you decide to take your lunch you will probably not be able to finish your dispatch and will be in the office next day. Your super- will have to alter your dispatch after a few days to keep from explaining missed stops. If you can take the heat you can take your lunch.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The bottom line is this; You must be HONEST about what, if any, lunch you take and you must be PAID for all hours worked. If you dont take a lunch...dont put one in your board. If management doesnt like it...too bad, as long as you get your money.The lawsuit was never about taking lunch, it was about being forced to work off of the clock in order to meet an impossible production "standard". PAY ME MY MONEY FOR THE TIME THAT I WORK.

filthpig

Here we have to record an hour lunch in our boards during which we can do no work. No exceptions. A lot of drivers spend 45mins. or so in the break room or office in the PM because they say they have no time to take one during the day. Not me. I take my lunch from about noon til about 1. I have never taken 1 minute in the building and never will. If I were to skip it to avoid service failures, I would take after I was done with businesses and pickups, but before I ran any residentials. Remember this: mgmnt wants you to take it in the building, that way it doesn't drag the SPORH down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I take my break after I finish my deliveries and first set of pickups and then take my lunch between my drop box pickups and my last pickup, which is Mail Boxes Etc. This is convenient for me as my house is on my delivery route so I am able to go home and relax for 45 minutes. I take my break at Dunkin Donuts and it usually lasts 25-30 minutes as I can't make a certain P/U until that time. My cover driver follows the same schedule and also lives on the route so he also takes his dinner at home.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
My guess is that 80 % of the employees of ups take little or no lunch. I have no proof of this but do feel that I can't be far from wrong. Most drivers are too customer oriented to take a lunch that would cause them to miss any stops. Your supervisor knows this! If you decide to take your lunch you will probably not be able to finish your dispatch and will be in the office next day. Your super- will have to alter your dispatch after a few days to keep from explaining missed stops. If you can take the heat you can take your lunch.
80% of roughly 100,00 drivers.Is this a guess? I don't think your anywhere close.Should be closer to 0%.Why would anyone work for free? My belief is that in the last 100 years those drivers fought for what we have now.Work thru lunch for free.That's crazy.Stop and take your break.Think of the future.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

80% is nowhere near reality but, unfortunately, neither is 0%. If I would have to guess I would say 5-10% do it every day and 10-20% do it on an occasional basis.

mikestrek

My question is: why is the company so hell-bent on everyone putting a lunch in their DIAD? The only logical answer is they enjoy the free labor they recieve when drivers choose to work through it. Can someone give me a different reason?
Because of the Law Suit. If it is shown that any activity (Delivery, Pick-ups) is performed during a lunch our or half hour, Then the company can be held liable once again for not alowing drivers to take a lunch break. That's why NOW, UPS is sending out letters to drivers if they don't take there lunch break. Trust me, UPS is not conserned about are rest time, They just don't want to get sued again. I also in the past gave UPS a lot of free hours. Not any more.
LOVE CALIFORNIA.

mikestrek

I'm in one of the few bonus centers left. I get paid by the load. If I take a full lunch I get the same pay but get home later. I usually take the full half hour lunch in increments but not the breaks unless I'm light. An hour lunch is way too much.
I TAKE IT YOUR IN MANAGEMENT! SERIOUSLY!

pretzel_man

The bottom line is this; You must be HONEST about what, if any, lunch you take and you must be PAID for all hours worked. If you dont take a lunch...dont put one in your board. If management doesnt like it...too bad, as long as you get your money.The lawsuit was never about taking lunch, it was about being forced to work off of the clock in order to meet an impossible production "standard". PAY ME MY MONEY FOR THE TIME THAT I WORK.

Actually, you're incorrect about the lawsuit. It WAS about taking lunch.

Do a search on the internet for "California rest period". There's a ton there to read about.

I agree that all employees should take their lunch and be paid for every minute worked.

P-Man

textat3

in my center in suburban md in metro dc district we have drivers that come to work 2 hours early load/work for free then take a voluntary layoff/hopper whatever they call it, get back in the personal 15 mpg vehicles and drive 60 to 130 miles back home. I wish I was making this up. Sometimes same drivers 2 and 3 days a week.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I Work out of the cerritos Hub ( metro LA ) We have to take a 30 min lunch after the fourth hour of work but before start of the fifth hour .
If we want to take an hour then we have to take a 15 min am break 15 mins before lunch then a 15 min pm break immediatly after lunch . taking your lunch even 1 min early or late is an immediate pink slip.
during our lunch we are not allowed to drive the truck and not supposed to sort or line up our packages.
GPS is activated but I havnt heard of any one being busted yet

E

El Queso Grande

I think taking a lunch is state law in most states when you work a certain amount of hours.