nov. 20 first day

patonegro

so I started on a Wednesday

it went well for the first day.... had the honor of helping one driver...

the next day honor of helping two drivers..... one of them payed for my lunch before we took off

and on friday,

I was told id have a daily driver helper duty.... I was cool with it
until my pick up truck overheated and ran out of gas on my way to
the meet up point. didnt recover to make it on time.

later in the afternoon I received a phone call letting me know that I
wouldnt have a daily driver duty anymore, but to still call monday to
see where I stsnd.

did I hurt my chances of actually being able to stick around for a part
time job after peak season?

JakeD

well you didn't do yourself any favors. Driver is pissed you didn't get to the meet point and that got passed on to HR. Now if you get called you need to bust your ass to make up for screwing up.

how does one run out of gas when the Fuel light comes on with like 50mi to spare..

patonegro

well I didnt do it on purpose.

I called.this morning and there would be no answer. I guess I threw my one chance out
the window. damn it. no union for:sick: me

J

jibbs

You first need money to put gas in when the light comes on.

^Basically this.^

I admire his dedication, though. If I woke up to a gas light coming on and no funds to put in the tank, I'd probably just call in sick and sleep in.

JakeD

sorry for assuming he had a modern vehicle.. whatever. he didn't show up and the driver told HR so he's probably at the bottom of the list now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

sorry for assuming he had a modern vehicle.. whatever. he didn't show up and the driver told HR so he's probably at the bottom of the list now.

One of the first things the HR rep asks potential employees is if they have a reliable means of transportation for either getting back and forth from work or, in the case of a helper, meeting the driver on road. One of the worst things you can do is "blow off", whether intentionally or through no fault of your own, your driver, especially on the first day. Peak dispatches are based on whether the driver has a helper or not-----drivers with helpers naturally get more work than those without. Your chances of being assigned to a driver for the rest of Peak are slim at best as you have proven to be unreliable.

A few years ago, my helper, who was also a preloader, didn't show up at the meet point. I spent the next 5 minutes basically blowing up his cellphone. I finally called our helper coordinator and she was able to scramble and get me a helper. Turns out my helper had made the mistake of laying down on the couch "for a minute" and fell asleep.

PT Car Washer

I agree. He will move to the bottom of the list. If he is even still on the list. Good news come back in the spring and apply again. Can't hire enough people to replace the ones that quit. Sure you want this job?

Buck Fifty

My 91 Honda doesn't have a gas light.

My 91 CRX Si doesn't either. Wouldn't have it any other way. I live 2.5 miles from work . The 40 mpg club beats the hell out of the Mile High Club. Not that I would know, but but I imagine it is.

As for the OP . Timing is everything, now its a roll of the dice. And if you would have put the money you saved on lunch in your tank, probably a coin toss. Good Luck !!!

Re-Raise

I was told id have a daily driver helper duty.... I was cool with it
until my pick up truck overheated and ran out of gas on my way to
the meet up point. didnt recover to make it on time.

Wow. You screwed that driver. They load up the routes anticipating that 2 people will be delivering.

I take it you are an automotive genius in addition to being unreliable. Overheating and running out of gas at the same time is an amazing coincidence. I wish I was the one who got to fire you.

oldngray

nowhere special
Wow. You screwed that driver. They load up the routes anticipating that 2 people will be delivering.

I take it you are an automotive genius in addition to being unreliable. Overheating and running out of gas at the same time is an amazing coincidence. I wish I was the one who got to fire you.
The driver got double screwed. Besides having extra work but no helper he lost time waiting for the helper that didn't show.

Buck Fifty

​Could you share pics of said CRX? Mine is a '91 CRX Si as well. tahitian green

1361845053333.jpg
It will be fitted with 14 inch Enkei's and an OEM spoiler next week. Its my mid life crisis .
1361845053333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cementups

Box Monkey
View attachment 10526
It will be fitted with 14 inch Enkei's and a OEM spoiler next week. Its my mid life crisis .

WOW. So super clean!!!
I'm over on CRX Community Forum • Index page as well. Lots of knowledge there as well.

FYI, There never truly was an OEM spoiler here in the States, but there were EDM and JDM models.

I actually have another '91 DX that was just given to me. Has a bit of damage to it and needs a bit of love. Once I get to finally dig into it, I'll find out if I have to scrap it or not.

Buck Fifty

WOW. So super clean!!!

I'm over on CRX Community Forum • Index page as well. Lots of knowledge there as well.

FYI, There never truly was an OEM spoiler here in the States, but there were EDM and JDM models.

I actually have another '91 DX that was just given to me. Has a bit of damage to it and needs a bit of love. Once I get to finally dig into it, I'll find out if I have to scrap it or not.

Your right, I meant JDM. Driver seat with no tear at 262,000, I had to have it.