Now that you are Retired

Shiftless

Having talked to a few retiree's on the subject of " What has been the best part of Retirement so far"? Those I have asked have had interesting views of what tops the list. Those newly retired have responses that are similar. The ones that come from retiree's with some whiskers have responses that differ and yet are somewhat similar. Granted most are not UPS'ers but I cant imagine its all that different. Its just a topic most of my buddies are willing to engage in and share. Youngest buddy retired at 44 oldest buddy is 82 been retired 5 years now and can run circles around me and I am only 63!

A common thread is that most I have talked to say "I Expected" or "Thought That" phrase seems to come up often. I have rarely heard the phrase "Wish I Had" or "Had I" except for a few.

Even tho life's passage is different for everyone, there is a commonality in it.

So, Spill your beans! Lay it out on the table for the youngin's to see!

Shiftless

People looking no one posting? Maybe no one has had a "Best part of Retirement" experience yet?

One of "My best Part's" is my kids have given me two Grand kids so far. The best part is the amount of time I get to have with them while the G-Kids are very young. Just different when you are not punching in and out as I was when I was a driver. All those things I missed with my kids being a Feeder driver for almost 27 years didn't allow any time for coaching Baseball, Soccer and similar sports. Weekday school events were few and usually only on vacation weeks. As a feeder driver working weird runs and shifts it "DID" allow me to be able to go in and help in my kid's classes when they were younger which I am glad to have had the working hours to do. Goofy shifts and hours, and LOTS of vacation meant lots of Motorcycling and Boating and Travel so I CAN NOT COMPLAIN! In my days as a UPS'er I consider that I was paid a fair wage for a fair workday with top flight Benefits.

Its all about choices! I chose to stay and do the work to get the benefits! That choice I made when I was young is right in their with the "Best part of Retirement"!

BigMoney

The best part of retirement
1)Not having to go into UPS anymore
2)No alarm clock
3)Everyday is Saturday
4)Not having the Sunday blues anymore
5)Having a normal December
6)A nap whenever i want
7)Go on vacation whenever i want
8)Spending more time with friends and family
9)I recommend it to everyone

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
3)Everyday is Saturday
4)Not having the Sunday blues anymore
☝️This!

Haven't had the "normal December" yet. I'm sure that'll make my list.

Here's one of my big ones. Not having to listen to some :censored2: who is only in management to avoid work, and only has the job because no one else was stupid enough to take it, who wouldn't know his ass from his elbow, act like he knows what the hell he's talking about! Did I mention he's been with the company 1 year. Adios :censored2:!

old levi's

blank space
I'll be on the road with the Winnebago tiny house, headed to some beautiful new camping area on any random day of the week thinking this must be a dream.

Just before Thanksgiving last year I sent 2 on-cars a text wishing them Happy Holidays and mentioning how much I love this time of year. The reply was unprintable.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I would agree. There is already too many people drawing out of the pension funds. You all remain working and keep those SS and Medicare deduction coming also.
I agree. On my last day of work, I had a driver say to me it was ridiculous that I was retiring at 49. I said, "You're right. I suggest you keep working til 80. Keep that pension funded for me." Sad thing is, he probably will.

old levi's

blank space
☝️This!

Haven't had the "normal December" yet. I'm sure that'll make my list.

Here's one of my big ones. Not having to listen to some :censored2: who is only in management to avoid work, and only has the job because no one else was stupid enough to take it, who wouldn't know his ass from his elbow, act like he knows what the hell he's talking about! Did I mention he's been with the company 1 year. Adios :censored2:!

U R gonna Heart December 2018!

Passed out under the Christmas tree 3 or 2 times.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I actually had a tree and lights outside and spent it with my grandchildren

Attachments

• 20171224_213235.jpg
    20171224_213235.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 420

group

Having talked to a few retiree's on the subject of " What has been the best part of Retirement so far"? Those I have asked have had interesting views of what tops the list. Those newly retired have responses that are similar. The ones that come from retiree's with some whiskers have responses that differ and yet are somewhat similar. Granted most are not UPS'ers but I cant imagine its all that different. Its just a topic most of my buddies are willing to engage in and share. Youngest buddy retired at 44 oldest buddy is 82 been retired 5 years now and can run circles around me and I am only 63!

A common thread is that most I have talked to say "I Expected" or "Thought That" phrase seems to come up often. I have rarely heard the phrase "Wish I Had" or "Had I" except for a few.

Even tho life's passage is different for everyone, there is a commonality in it.

So, Spill your beans! Lay it out on the table for the youngin's to see!

group

64015A6E-23DA-40E6-9AF9-935269422337.jpeg Everyday is Saturday. After driving for 37 years. I smile on rainy days .enjoy a/c when it’s a 110 heat index out side. Waves are fun fish and deer are scared of my free time. Get out when u can. It takes years to prep for, and is well worth it , in the end. No day better then your last day on that big brown truck!!!!!

View attachment 198154 Everyday is Saturday. After driving for 37 years. I smile on rainy days .enjoy a/c when it’s a 110 heat index out side. Waves are fun fish and deer are scared of my free time. Get out when u can. It takes years to prep for, and is well worth it , in the end. No day better then your last day on that big brown truck!!!!!
Do you need rescued?

rod

Retired 22 years
I actually had a tree and lights outside and spent it with my grandchildren

The day after the first Christmas that I was retired I went out and bought a ton of outdoor Christmas lights for the house. The following Christmas we started spending the holidays every year in Texas with our grandkids. 95% of those lights have never been opened. Live and learn. They are all the outdated old style electric sucking lights that everyone got rid of in favor of LED's.