Now what? Opt In / Opt Out

BrownShark

Banned
Well, its official. In our building, not ONE driver signed up for the OPT out list. There are over 400 drivers in our building.

In order to comply with the new language, this would translate into 42.105 new cars three days out of the week, every week for 5 months.

Is the company prepared to hire this many new drivers in 30 days in a declining economy??

This bad language will get its first test next month.

Cover drivers cannot be used to "supplement" the work force and specific language prevents their usage.

The center managers are already scratching their heads wondering how they are going to manage the dispatch next month and comply with this language.

As i said before, this particular language was poorly constructed, and saidly implemented into our contract.

Good luck in your centers.

Peace.:peaceful:

over9five

Staff member
These opt in/opt out lists are not in our building yet.

My question is: Do you have to sign either? You say no one signed to "opt out". Does that mean 400 drivers signed the "opt in"?

govols019

You smell that?
Anyone that thinks that just by signing to opt-in to the 9.5 language means they will reduce your workload is in for a rude awakening.

KTB

In order to comply with the new language, this would translate into 42.105 new cars three days out of the week, every week for 5 months.

Sorry, but that's actually a good thing. More driving opportunities for part timers that want to go full time. Or even for those that just want to cover drive. Less overtime for the existing drivers who just want to go home. More hourlies paying union dues. I fail to see the problem with this. If I were management I'd be a bit stressed about filling the positions, but it sounds like that's a win/win/win for us hourlies.

I hope my hub has as many opt in.

Last edited:

BrownShark

Banned
Sorry, but that's actually a good thing. More driving opportunities for part timers that want to go full time. Or even for those that just want to cover drive. Less overtime for the existing drivers who just want to go home. More hourlies paying union dues. I fail to see the problem with this. If I were management I'd be a bit stressed about filling the positions, but it sounds like that's a win/win/win for us hourlies.

I hope my hub has as many opt in.

KTB,

did you miss the point of my post?

satellitedriver

HAHAHAHAHAHA, the economy grows every year regardless of what happens. Heck, some of my investments are up 30+% this year alone! :greedy:
The economy is a roller coaster ride. Heck, some of my investments are up 300% and some are down 30%. If you have lived long enough, you will see that the economy doesn't grow regardless.
PAX

mikeb

tnbrown
Well, its official. In our building, not ONE driver signed up for the OPT out list. There are over 400 drivers in our building.

Is the company prepared to hire this many new drivers in 30 days in a declining economy??

This bad language will get its first test next month.

Cover drivers cannot be used to "supplement" the work force and specific language prevents their usage.

The center managers are already scratching their heads wondering how they are going to manage the dispatch next month and comply with this language.

As i said before, this particular language was poorly constructed, and saidly implemented into our contract.

Good luck in your centers.

How is this possible? The new contract doesnt start til Aug. '08. if its ratified. Your center should not have posted these yet.

BrownShark

Banned
These opt in/opt out lists are not in our building yet.

My question is: Do you have to sign either? You say no one signed to "opt out". Does that mean 400 drivers signed the "opt in"?

Over 9.5,

the list HAS to be posted in your center as EVERYONE is mandated to signup on the lists 10 days before the First (1st) of January.

This is the new language and it goes into effect on Jan 1.

Better tell your Center Manager to inform himself.

BrownShark

Banned
How is this possible? The new contract doesnt start til Aug. '08. if its ratified. Your center should not have posted these yet.

Mike B,

No offense, but are you actually serious here? Ratified? What do you think just happened? Those votes that just got counted were for what in your opinion?

Once again, I say the same thing that everyone seems to have missed.

THE UNION GAVE BACK 8 MONTHS OF OUR CURRENT CONTRACT.

IT STARTS ON JANUARY 1 2008.

Why does everyone still believe the contract ends on July 31 2008??????

Overpaid Union Thug

Mike B,

No offense, but are you actually serious here? Ratified? What do you think just happened? Those votes that just got counted were for what in your opinion?

I didn't realize that myself. I just looked at the draft of the proposed contract that was mailed out with the ballots and it does say "Upon the Period of Ratification, 2007 through July 31, 2013." I wonder what effects early ratification could have on everyone. This might be why many of the full-time jobs that were up for bad last summer around the country were put on hold. I'm sure the new contract has something to do with it.

cino321

I can't wait for this sucker to be posted in my center, I see a lot of money in my future for time I never worked.

babboo25

Banned
Mike B,

So does this mean we get our first raise this spring????

govols019

You smell that?
I didn't realize that myself. I just looked at the draft of the proposed contract that was mailed out with the ballots and it does say "Upon the Period of Ratification, 2007 through July 31, 2013." I wonder what effects early ratification could have on everyone. This might be why many of the full-time jobs that were up for bad last summer around the country were put on hold. I'm sure the new contract has something to do with it.

No offense but how could you have not known it? Did you not read the contract before you voted?

govols019

You smell that?

It not official until ALL areas have voted Yes on it. Is that not right?

Overpaid Union Thug

No offense but how could you have not known it? Did you not read the contract before you voted?

I read them (National and Southern Supplement) front to back...minus the date of ratification. I, like many people, went straight for the articles because I was under the impression that the current contract would have to expire before a new one could start. I voted no anyway so not catching that detail isn't a factor for me. If I had voted yes and then discovered that I missed that I'm not sure I'd be too upset with myself at this point because I'm still not sure what effects this will have on us. I'm sure something will present itself though because I don't think the UPS side of the negotiating table would have pushed for the early ratification if it didn't benefit them in some way. And we all know that when it benefits them it doesn't necessarily benefit us hourly folk.