NPR story on UPS and technology

browniehound

We are the highest paid because of the union. No other reason

If we made half wouldn't matter. They would push just as much.

I disagree. Yes, we are the highest paid because of the union, but I doubt we would get pushed as hard if we only made $16.12/hour and limited health insurance.

We get are asses kicked everyday because its the only way UPS can wield any authority because outside of theft and violence, management can't make any terminations stick.

Take away the union and you take away the harassment and other BS from the company.

jim_flint

688 is the man.

Eight, eight, eight. That is the philosophy unions fought for. Eight hours work, 8 for sleep, and 8 for yourself.
That and fair pay for fair work. People today think that there's still a middle class. There's no such thing as a two income middle class family. It's an oxymoron. And it's going a long way towards the ruin of our society.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I disagree. Yes, we are the highest paid because of the union, but I doubt we would get pushed as hard if we only made $16.12/hour and limited health insurance.

We get are asses kicked everyday because its the only way UPS can wield any authority because outside of theft and violence, management can't make any terminations stick.

Take away the union and you take away the harassment and other BS from the company.

I've heard this sentiment on here before, and while it's a possibility, I highly doubt it. Here's why;
Before UPS went public, there was an intense focus on productivity, but there was also no real technology. You had the ability to customize your route and load to meet the customers demands and I didn't mind going the extra mile for UPS. I even pushed myself to excel at every level of service and performance.
Then the company went public. The share holders now must be appeased with glowing reports of successful implementation of cost saving programs, even if they don't really exist. UPS has taken away routes, taken away allowances, taken away my ability to service the same customers daily by shifting my dispatch back and forth. Surely they are saving enough money now to be just a tad nicer to the crew. Preload, Telematics, PAS EDD, and Orion have all been implemented to save money! What is the magic number they need to stop pushing us so hard? There isn't one! There is no profit margin, driven either by lower pay and benefits or more technology, high enough to justify a tactical change that includes being not pushed to attain more, go faster, get more leads, or produce an artificial number on a report. UPS likes it this way. They have no intention of changing.