NSF check.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Here, we take it to the sheriff's department and they send an officer over to collect it.
The customer gets a sense of urgency in fixing the issue.
Like the sheriff doesn't have anything better to do than to collect a few hundred dollars from companies Thatdon't pay UPS...that's a total waste of taxpayer money

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Like the sheriff doesn't have anything better to do than to collect a few hundred dollars from companies That don't pay UPS...that's a total waste of taxpayer money
Bouncing a check in this amount is a felony, with an actual victim in this case, a hardworking teamster who made an honest mistake and accepted a personal check instead of a money order. I wouldn't call a friendly visit to the business by a sheriff a waste of taxpayer money, I'd call it a professional courtesy.

10 point

Like the sheriff doesn't have anything better to do than to collect a few hundred dollars from companies Thatdon't pay UPS...that's a total waste of taxpayer money
They were going to be prosecuted anyway. This is much more cost effective for the legal dept.
Bouncing a check in this amount is a felony, with an actual victim in this case, a hardworking teamster who made an honest mistake and accepted a personal check instead of a money order. I wouldn't call a friendly visit to the business by a sheriff a waste of taxpayer money, I'd call it a professional courtesy.
Good post. We do pay their wages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Check your state and local laws...
Bad Check Laws by States-Civil & Criminal Penalties
Also could fall under Mail Fraud as well.

But the question is here, can UPS demand payment from an employee for a mistake?(getting the wrong kind of check)
That's a union issue, I imagine the first time you do it, slap on the wrist...next time maybe, but really that's a big amount of money, to not consider at least talking to a lawyer about... Otherwise have them take out 1$ for the next 1300weeks....

You would be sadly mistaken.

The minimum that they will accept on a weekly basis would be $25. Generally anything over $1K they will ask for $50/week.

The company will normally not both request repayment and discipline the driver but they most certainly will not let it go with a "slap on the wrist".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think if by some chance that this particular COD was a 4th attempt UPS may be liable by altering their own procedures on COD attempts. If this isn't the case and your coworkers have had to pay for their mistakes, your probably going to pay....because I'm sure the Union was involved in the previous lapses of judgement by your coworkers. Question....don't you drivers talk this stuff out? Slow down and do your job @By The Book!

Doesn't matter if it is the 1st, 4th or 40th attempt, if the driver disregards the DIAD prompt and accepts an alternate form of payment he/she could/would be held liable if that form of payment is not honored by the bank.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The consignee was clearly not trying to defraud the driver.

All of this would have been prevented had the OP followed the DIAD prompts.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
While we're on the subject of cod packages, does it bother anyone else that the driver still has to enter the correct amount for the cod, instead of it already being displayed on the screen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While we're on the subject of cod packages, does it bother anyone else that the driver still has to enter the correct amount for the cod, instead of it already being displayed on the screen.

I have been told that a software upgrade will include COD auto fill.

Another question: how many of you will hold all of the prepaid packages in a multiple shipment until the COD is paid for?

KOG72

I’m full of it

Another question: how many of you will hold all of the prepaid packages in a multiple shipment until the COD is paid for?
We were told that we can leave the pkgs with no cod amount on them,so I do it only bring back the cod pkg from shipment.

10 point

Unless training on Cod's changed all of should.
The consignee was clearly not trying to defraud the driver.

All of this would have been prevented had the OP followed the DIAD prompts.
Did we see the tracking number detail? None of this is "clear" to me but when you write a check it's your responsibility to make sure there's funds available for it to be solvent...no? Otherwise it constitutes theft.
Doesn't matter if it is the 1st, 4th or 40th attempt, if the driver disregards the DIAD prompt and accepts an alternate form of payment he/she could/would be held liable if that form of payment is not honored by the bank.
Does this mesh with your above statement about the consignee "clearly" not trying to defraud the driver?
You would be sadly mistaken.

The minimum that they will accept on a weekly basis would be $25. Generally anything over $1K they will ask for $50/week.

The company will normally not both request repayment and discipline the driver but they most certainly will not let it go with a "slap on the wrist".
We can't get disciplined if we pay for the pkg.

10 point

We were told that we can leave the pkgs with no cod amount on them,so I do it only bring back the cod pkg from shipment.
We were told that if the computer generated label said 1 of 2, etc that it's a multiple pkg cod shipment and it all had to be treated as such. No exceptions.
Amazing how management fluctuates with training.

SmithBarney

Except if Package 1 can't be "found" pkg 2 of 2 doesn't(or at least didn't) say COD....

We were told that if the computer generated label said 1 of 2, etc that it's a multiple pkg cod shipment and it all had to be treated as such. No exceptions.
Amazing how management fluctuates with training.

SmithBarney

Larceny applies in many states. Look it up. In some states (and Commonwealths) if the amount is over $200 it's grand larceny.
Not quite sure why you want to argue about this, printing it bigger doesn't make your case...I provided a link to resources for all states.

You cited a VA law from the page: § 18.2-181. Issuing bad checks, etc., larceny

You conveniently neglected to include the whole paragraph(look for the BOLD word):
Any person who, with intent to defraud, shall make or draw or utter or deliver any check, draft, or order for the payment of money, upon any bank, banking institution, trust company, or other depository, knowing, at the time of such making, drawing, uttering or delivering, that the maker or drawer has not sufficient funds in, or credit with, such bank, banking institution, trust company, or other depository, for the payment of such check, draft or order, although no express representation is made in reference thereto, shall be guilty of larceny; and, if this check, draft, or order has a represented value of $200 or more, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. In cases in which such value is less than $200, the person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Either way it's against the law

10 point

Not quite sure why you want to argue about this, printing it bigger doesn't make your case...I provided a link to resources for all states.

You cited a VA law from the page: § 18.2-181. Issuing bad checks, etc., larceny

You conveniently neglected to include the whole paragraph(look for the BOLD word):
Any person who, with intent to defraud, shall make or draw or utter or deliver any check, draft, or order for the payment of money, upon any bank, banking institution, trust company, or other depository, knowing, at the time of such making, drawing, uttering or delivering, that the maker or drawer has not sufficient funds in, or credit with, such bank, banking institution, trust company, or other depository, for the payment of such check, draft or order, although no express representation is made in reference thereto, shall be guilty of larceny; and, if this check, draft, or order has a represented value of $200 or more, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. In cases in which such value is less than $200, the person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Either way it's against the law
I'm not arguing anything. You gave the post the red x. I printed a screen shot. That's the best I could do. I agree with the felony issue. You disagreed with the larceny statement and then took issue with my post that stated it's a state to state or Commonwealth issue.

I've got no disagreement with your post.
Maybe there's a misunderstanding.
Either way, dont pay for something with a check that may/will bounce. There's repercussions that far exceeds the check charge.