Nurses forum group degrades UPS drivers and our salary

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My daughter has 2 degrees and is a RN. Yeah, I'm still paying for that. She will be 28 years old next week, and she makes bank. I've never asked her what she makes, but she does well. Where she lives (DFW) there seems to be a severe shortage of nurses. She works 12 hour days. (usually more like 13-13.5 when you count doing her charts and paperwork after her shift. Her time slot stays the same (7am-7pm). but she works crazy days off/on. work 3 days in a row, off 3, work 4 days, off 1, etc. On her days off they call her and beg her to come in and work. They will usually offer double time for extra days. If they get in a bind, they may offer triple time, it just depends until they get enough people to work. I suspect the gov't makes them have a certain ratio of nurses to patients to ensure proper care. After having being hospitalized 2 times the last 2 years for a total of about 5 weeks, I have come to realize she has a difficult job, and one that I probably couldn't or wouldn't do. I would sure hate to have me as a patient for 12 hours a day. lol.

Ms.PacMan

Were you men reading the same thing I was?

They weren't slamming us. That woman was just surprised about the pay difference and they were just as surprised at the pay differences between each other.

A lot of the women came to our defense and some even seemed to put you guys on their eligible bachelors who make bank radars :)

Ms.PacMan

Thats the spirit! He makes a lot of money, I want him for that reason alone!!

Typical women
If it's your edge and gets you noticed....again - don't read women's comments with the harsh male voice in your head. I'm sure your mothers brag about what good providers you are, too.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My daughter has 2 degrees and is a RN. Yeah, I'm still paying for that. She will be 28 years old next week, and she makes bank. I've never asked her what she makes, but she does well. Where she lives (DFW) there seems to be a severe shortage of nurses. She works 12 hour days. (usually more like 13-13.5 when you count doing her charts and paperwork after her shift. Her time slot stays the same (7am-7pm). but she works crazy days off/on. work 3 days in a row, off 3, work 4 days, off 1, etc. On her days off they call her and beg her to come in and work. They will usually offer double time for extra days. If they get in a bind, they may offer triple time, it just depends until they get enough people to work. I suspect the gov't makes them have a certain ratio of nurses to patients to ensure proper care. After having being hospitalized 2 times the last 2 years for a total of about 5 weeks, I have come to realize she has a difficult job, and one that I probably couldn't or wouldn't do. I would sure hate to have me as a patient for 12 hours a day. lol.
Yep depends a lot on where you live. How much you're willing to work a are you willing to travel.

When my wife graduated she worked in a town with 4 nursing programs within 30 miles and only worked her 3 12 hour shifts. I made more than double what she made.

Brownslave688

When the "kid" is 28 and "making bank" it is time to let them take care of their own business.

He may be actually doing his daughter a disservice as she would be allowed to write off the student loan interest on her taxes.
Not is she's truly making bank. :(

Trust me. I know.

Holydriver

If it's your edge and gets you noticed....again - don't read women's comments with the harsh male voice in your head. I'm sure your mothers brag about what good providers you are, too.
Some of the drivers I've seen definitely need to use their paycheck as their magnet. You do have a good point

blkmamba

The same could be said for teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc.

They chose the career and they knew what the salary range would be.
All of these make very good money depending on where you live. My brother is a sheriff and with overtime, he hit 100k back in November. His hourly rate is pretty similar to a top rate driver. As a teacher, I can top out just under 100k after 15 years with a Masters degree. Trust me, I did the UPS thing and I a much happier teaching and working 8 1/2 month out of the year.

Brownslave688

All of these make very good money depending on where you live. My brother is a sheriff and with overtime, he hit 100k back in November. His hourly rate is pretty similar to a top rate driver. As a teacher, I can top out just under 100k after 15 years with a Masters degree. Trust me, I did the UPS thing and I a much happier teaching and working 8 1/2 month out of the year.
Here's where ups comes out on top though. It doesn't matter where you live. So in rural areas that $35 an hour goes a lot farther.

UpsYours

Nurses in our area that work in the Hospital (delivering babies, work in ER saving lives,ect.) make just as much and some even more than a UPS driver .I have many friends that wives are nurses and make at least $80,000 a year.They are union represented as well.Dont be a hater get in the Union. P.S. if you dislike us so much stop having me del. to your house every day.

blkmamba

Here's where ups comes out on top though. It doesn't matter where you live. So in rural areas that $35 an hour goes a lot farther.
True but I'll take my pay and 3 1/2 months vacation time any day (when you count summer, Christmas, thanksgiving, Easter, and the random Monday or Friday we get off here and there.