O.K. Has Peak REALLY Begun Where You Are?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are having a pretty good Peak so far, I'm surprised in a pleasant way. All the extra routes are in right now, every driver has a Helper. They shut our belts down at 9:15 this morning, we got on the road 40 minutes after start time. I got through in the daylight today, only 172 stops. Its like a controlled chaos, I was expecting 225-250 today.

cino321

Every peak I sit back in amazement at this corporation's terrible approach to peak, at least in urban areas. Every peak I turn around and say things like "this is the worst peak I've been through" or "I can't believe they are letting all this happen" or "they cannot be serious with these loads."

This year I am continuing that tradition. Third day I'm going over 12 hours.

From what I can learn from drivers there, the Lynnfield, MA center I'd work from as a seasonal driver is getting busy, but not all the routes are even going out as yet. Has peak where you are hit with the insanity we all know and love? I'd like to earn some money this season, but I wonder if I ever will.
Damn skippy it's started. I had 83 freaking stops today.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have been working 55-58 hours a week since October. It has hit early,and with Route Cutting being the vogue I have made a killing so far. I had as many stops today as i did Peak Day last year. like the song goes"I gotta lil change in my pocket going jing a ling a ling"

phox1515

peak has hit for the hub but not for the route that I'm a helper for. today was the most hours I have been allotted yet this season (last year I was working 8+ hours a day and I miss it). I was allotted 3.6 hours although my driver always lets me get a little more, since day one they have only allowed me 2.6 on avg but driver says he'll always get me at least 3 hours. I worked a preload shift on Monday though (they needed a lot of help) and worked 5.5 hours... they asked if I wanted to stay longer but I was supposed to do my helper job later and was running on 2.5 hours of sleep. more packages than I have or could ever desire to see in my life. was loading trailers that were going to malls and stuff... loaded about 3 of them on my own and 2 with help. first time ever doing any work in the hub so I was sore as ever after that and had to call off the helper job that day, my driver's cool and understood.

scisector9

We are getting killed at my center. Had 250 plus stops Monday Tuesday. 229 today. Got me in a 800 and sup brings me out 7s and 8s later.

And we also have mgmt in cars daily. Short staffed and poor planning for sure.

I have noticed large stop and volume counts. 229 today was 450 pieces.

As a side note no way a drone could touch some of these Amazon packages I've been delivering.

Cheers

Sent from device_name using BrownCafe App

BrownArmy

Is each stop 5-10 minutes apart, LOL? 83 Stops is typically about 3 hours of work...

Depends on the route...I cover a route that does around 55 stops, has 40 pickups, goes out with 500-600 pieces and brings back 300-400 pieces.

60 stops on that route is really pushing it...

oldstagg

From what I can learn from drivers there, the Lynnfield, MA center I'd work from as a seasonal driver is getting busy, but not all the routes are even going out as yet. Has peak where you are hit with the insanity we all know and love? I'd like to earn some money this season, but I wonder if I ever will.
Im hearing we got crushed monday with packages.

PT Car Washer

We are using every body we can find. Hourly and management. Even saw an LP guy in browns tonight. center manager told us tonight that Wednesday must have been peak day for us. Who is he trying to fool.

HomeDelivery

The safety and health director who trained me for the one week driver training checked and told me:

:bsbullf:

For a company that watches every dime it spends, I'm surprised that this was wasn't known when they paid me for the training. So the work is there, just not the management to train me? Hmm. It pretty much sucks, IMHO.

they fed you a line... did you pissed them off or something? it was all temps on board over at team purple since black friday,

a select few of them working Mon-Sat

I'm doing a 130-mile service area & is roughly done at 1900 every night... UPS has 5-6 vehicles in my service area w/ package mules on the jumpseats.

The only good thing about my division is i can drive straight home w/ the rental vehicle & is saving 300 miles a week on commuting back to work:backingout:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We are using every body we can find. Hourly and management. Even saw an LP guy in browns tonight. center manager told us tonight that Wednesday must have been peak day for us. Who is he trying to fool.

Actually not that unrealistic. Black Friday and cyber Monday have totally changed the way a volume chart for ups peak looks. I think you are right this year but in 5 years I think our peak day will be within the first week after thanksgiving.

MassWineGuy

they fed you a line... did you pissed them off or something? it was all temps on board over at team purple since black friday,

Maybe. During training I stayed aware of that possibility and I truly don't think I did. Since I'm the only one from my group assigned to my center, I can't ask other seasonals if they're driving. Even though I'm naturally skeptical, I know that I did not get enough on the road, procedural training riding with supes. So who knows?

But I do know that they handled this in a terrible manner. out of common courtesy they should have called me and let me know what was up. I realize that this behavior may be foreign to UPS.

PT Car Washer

Our building is having the problem of not enough rentals or anything to drive. Don't matter if you have the bodies, still need a ride. I really see a few seasonal drivers dropping out after this week or next. Temps heading down to zero degrees rest of this week. Not really just a job to pick up a few extra bucks.