O r i o n ????$$$$

dre1

those of you on the orion system has it affected your pay?? if so by how much weekly??about to get it soon just getting prepared thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy-very:

barnyard

KTM rider
More BS + longer hours = bigger paychecks.

Exactly. What is there to prepare for????

I do not understand the OPs question.

Unless he/she just started driving yesterday, he/she ought to know that any efficiencies that UPS thinks will be gained will only result in more stops per car, not less hours per driver.

Duh.

QKRSTKR

My badd should have directed this question to bonus drivers duhhhhh!!!
Now your talking. Bye, bye bonus. Some guys still get it. Not many. I went from running scratch to .50 under to over +.50 to +.80 ish. Good thing I'm almost out of packages for good, can't wait till annual feeder bids. Woooo hoooo.

(Come on Dracula, don't rain on my parade telling me how bad feeders has gotten just in time for my arrival) :funny:

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I want them to implement that system in a urban setting.

They will and it will suck just as bad as it does anywhere else. They're desperately trying to remove the skill from our skilled positions. They're selling it as a tool to reduce mileage, but it's way more than that...

Reminds me of when they implemented telematics. "This is a tool for automotive. They'll be able tell when something's wrong with your car before you do!" Uh huh...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Any savings that could potentially be realized thru the use of the new program will be totally negated by the stupid and counterproductive decisions we will be expected to make in order to generate the arbitrary 85% compliance metric that IE will be demanding. We are UPS; we dont pursue excellence, we pursue metrics.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our safety-wonk (the one that sits all day in the building grading quizes and coming up with new acronyms) was talking to one of the Orion guys, and he was told that at some point there will either be a heads-up display or and earpiece with turn-by-turn directions.

Can you say major distraction?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our safety-wonk (the one that sits all day in the building grading quizes and coming up with new acronyms) was talking to one of the Orion guys, and he was told that at some point there will either be a heads-up display or and earpiece with turn-by-turn directions.

Can you say major distraction?

Wearing headphones while driving is illegal in my state.

Even if it weren't...there is no way in hell I would wear an ear bud and listen to directions on how to do my job.

QKRSTKR

Any savings that could potentially be realized thru the use of the new program will be totally negated by the stupid and counterproductive decisions we will be expected to make in order to generate the arbitrary 85% compliance metric that IE will be demanding. We are UPS; we dont pursue excellence, we pursue metrics.

your now behind the times. Trying to get our centers up to 90% as a whole. 85% wasn't good enough, too many drivers hitting it.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Does it reduce your miles or increase them. If you follow it 100% is it like getting free money??

Allow me to give you a quick synopsis of ORION brother. You got 12 stops in a subdivision. Good ole' mileage reducin' Orion will have you go into tha neighborhood, run a couple stops, leave to run another subdivision, only to come back to the previous subdivision to runs stops on streets you were already on.

When you arrive in the morning, you can look at your Orion solution in detail complete with every stop plotted on a map and an estimated mileage solution. Having said that, looking at the map detail, I have seen where Orion would send you ACROSS a large body of fresh water or through impassable forests.

Once, I cornered one of the Orion monkeys and showed him the fruits of his labor. This run shot a guy clear across a lake. "This would be pretty good if we had pontoons and an outboard on the car, huh?" His response? "Huh huh, yeah." I reply, "So, taking the paved route would increase my mileage hence, putting me over the solution?" His response? "Yes." He did however console me by telling me that I could always come to him with such lunacy and he could fix it.

Wait a second, I'm being paid to drop em off and pick em up. You're being paid to "fix it". Business Development is being paid to develop the business. Preload is paid to ensure the right packages land on the right cars. Somehow, I'm (and thousands of others like me) are responsible for tieing all this tomfoolery together to turn chicken **** into chicken salad. And I'm the overpaid prick that's the problem?

Orion is a rudimentary tool to help scabs do our jobs. The foundation has been laid. Is it outlandish to think they're ready to take us on? Do they want a strike? Are they counting on the fact that the most people will not support us? Will they use the loss of customers and employees to seek some sort if government bailout? Would they use such an opportunity to restructure and copy Fred's model? Am I crazy?

I dunno, they show me crazy everyday. Why would I put anything past these fuggers?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem with using Fred's model (at Fred's pay scale) is their are a limited number of people willing to do that work for that price.

If ups thinks they can micromanage like they do now and pay people $15 an hour. All I have to say is. Lol

Same thing happened in Louisville this year. Many companies moved there to be close to worldport. They couldn't find employees to do the job because they had a limited pool of people for that work at that price point.

Ups has many drivers with degrees that chose ups because they paid more. Lose that advantage and lose a ton of employees while pulling from a smaller pool.