Obama Speech

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think this is a legitimate question...................

The president proposes spending an additional $140 billion on roads, schools and other infrastructure, but wants Congress to pay for this with cuts in spending on Medicare, Medicaid and other programs. How will adding construction workers to the national payroll, while laying off health care workers boost employment?

moreluck

golden ticket member
(TheDC) — President Barack Obama asked lawmakers to “pass this bill” — or made some variation of the phrase — 17 times in his jobs speech before a joint session of Congress on Thursday night.

Obama unveiled his $447 billion jobs package, the American Jobs Act, during the speech.

Some variations of include: “I am sending this Congress a plan that you should pass right away,” “Pass this jobs bill, and we can put people to work rebuilding America” and “Pass this jobs bill, and thousands of teachers in every state will go back to work.”

moreluck

golden ticket member
AP Fact Checks Obama Speech: Shockingly, He’s Full Of It…

Even the AP can’t spin Obama’s way out of this web of lies.
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama’s promise Thursday that everything in his jobs plan will be paid for rests on highly iffy propositions.

It will only be paid for if a committee he can’t control does his bidding, if Congress puts that into law and if leaders in the future — the ones who will feel the fiscal pinch of his proposals — don’t roll it back.

Underscoring the gravity of the nation’s high employment rate, Obama chose a joint session of Congress, normally reserved for a state of the union speech, to lay out his proposals. But if the moment was extraordinary, the plan he presented was conventional Washington rhetoric in one respect: It employs sleight-of-hand accounting.

A look at some of Obama’s claims and how they compare with the facts:

OBAMA: “Everything in this bill will be paid for. Everything.”

THE FACTS: Obama did not spell out exactly how he would pay for the measures contained in his nearly $450 billion American Jobs Act, but said he would send his proposed specifics in a week to the new congressional supercommittee charged with finding budget savings. White House aides suggested that new deficit spending in the near-term to try to promote job creation would be paid for in the future — the “out years,” in legislative jargon — but they did not specify what would be cut or what revenues they would use.

Essentially, the jobs plan is an IOU from a president and lawmakers who may not even be in office down the road when the bills come due. Today’s Congress cannot bind a later one for future spending. A future Congress could simply reverse it.

Currently, roughly all federal taxes and other revenues are consumed in spending on various federal benefit programs, including Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, veterans’ benefits, food stamps, farm subsidies and other social-assistance programs and payments on the national debt. Pretty much everything else is done on credit with borrowed money.

So there is no guarantee that programs that clearly will increase annual deficits in the near term will be paid for in the long term.

OBAMA: “Everything in here is the kind of proposal that’s been supported by both Democrats and Republicans, including many who sit here tonight.”

THE FACTS: Obama’s proposed cut in the Social Security payroll tax does seem likely to garner significant GOP support. But Obama proposes paying for the plan in part with tax increases that have already generated stiff Republican opposition.

For instance, Obama makes a pitch anew to end Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, which he has defined as couples earning over $250,000 a year or individuals earning over $200,000 a year. Republicans have adamantly blocked what they view as new taxes. As recently as last month, House Republicans refused to go along with any deal to raise the government’s borrowing authority that included new revenues, or taxes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Interesting that while the typical crowd is jeering at the speech and plan, businesses are peering at a quadruple tax credit for hiring unemployed (up from 1k to 4k).

Interesting that while the typical crowd is jeering at the speech and plan, businesses are peering at a quadruple tax credit for hiring unemployed (up from 1k to 4k).

So there are some people that like parts of the (almost) plan and others that don't like the overall plan (not knowing any of the details) ? You find that interesting because? I find that pretty normal.

This speech really wasn't about actually getting masses of people back to working and paying taxes. This was nothing more than a political ploy by Zer0 to set up the republicans (one more time) to be obstructionists. Zer0's governing practices may not be transparent as he promised, but he sure is.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So there are some people that like parts of the (almost) plan and others that don't like the overall plan (not knowing any of the details) ? You find that interesting because? I find that pretty normal.

This speech really wasn't about actually getting masses of people back to working and paying taxes. This was nothing more than a political ploy by Zer0 to set up the republicans (one more time) to be obstructionists. Zer0's governing practices may not be transparent as he promised, but he sure is.
I find it interesting that the usual suspects are already critiquing the plan with zero knowledge of it...and also interesting that the small bits I do understand, are pro -small business (with the quadrupling of hiring incentive tax credit) where 65% of Americas jobs are created.

Hmmm..who to trust...small business owners in the arena trying to grow and succeed, or retirees or near-retirees on the outside looking in, out for themselves and nothing more?

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
......"critiquing the plan with zero knowledge .................."(sleeve)

And you're ready to go for it gung-ho also with zero knowledge....what's the diff??

See, that's the whole thing....we are all lacking the details and 18 times during the speech he's saying to pass it right away.

There's something wrong with that and it takes me back to the days of my teenage kids and they'd hand me a school paper and say, "Just sign it mom, you don't have to read it." I'm not falling for that anymore!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
......"critiquing the plan with zero knowledge .................."(sleeve)

And you're ready to go for it gung-ho also with zero knowledge....what's the diff??

See, that's the whole thing....we are all lacking the details and 18 times during the speech he's saying to pass it right away.

There's something wrong with that and it takes me back to the days of my teenage kids and they'd hand me a school paper and say, "Just sign it mom, you don't have to read it." I'm not falling for that anymore!!

He's trying to garner support for it. What's he supposed to say? "Well, what I'm proposing is kinda controversial, and you know, it may not appeal to all, but I hope some of it works...er umm"

I point out something possibly good coming out of this and yet you still fail to address it in any way, just shows me you enjoy mainstream media outlets a little too much (maybe eating that mush is easier when you get old). I like to think for myself and don't need to listen to that crap from either side.

moreluck

golden ticket member
He's trying to garner support for it. What's he supposed to say? "Well, what I'm proposing is kinda controversial, and you know, it may not appeal to all, but I hope some of it works...er umm"

I point out something possibly good coming out of this and yet you still fail to address it in any way, just shows me you enjoy mainstream media outlets a little too much (maybe eating that mush is easier when you get old). I like to think for myself and don't need to listen to that crap from either side.
What's he suppose to do???? Lay out his plan, give us all the details, how are you going to pay for it? etc. How does he figure he's going to travel around and garner support? People are going to want the entire picture before they commit. I would think even his biggest supporters would want the details too. How else can they tell others to support it.

You say you like to think for yourself.....do you sign big contracts ( house, car) without having the fine print in front of you and without reading it first?
Don't you want to know exactly what the cost is going to be? You don't strike me as the careless type. This has nothing to do with "sides" ...this is just common sense!

moreluck

golden ticket member
...and the Bush tax cuts were permanent?

You've already gushed over the speech and fell for the flowery rhetoric. Was this Bush's speech?
If you want to talk Bush, he was laying a wreath just a few minutes ago at the Pentagon.

This is Obama's speech, his big plan with no specifics. You bought it hook, line & sinker.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You've already gushed over the speech and fell for the flowery rhetoric. Was this Bush's speech?
If you want to talk Bush, he was laying a wreath just a few minutes ago at the Pentagon.

This is Obama's speech, his big plan with no specifics. You bought it hook, line & sinker.

I was addressing your quote in which you said (in someone else words--what a surprise) that the tax cuts contained in the new jobs act are temporary. Answer the question--were the Bush tax cuts permanent?

Most if not all tax cuts are temporary in nature.

I liked the speech.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Economists show support for Obama job-growth plan
By DEREK KRAVITZ, AP Economics Writers – 1 day ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — A tentative thumbs-up.
That's the assessment from economists, who have offered mainly positive reviews of President Barack Obama's $447 billion plan to stimulate job creation.
Some predict it would put hundreds of thousands of people back to work next year, mainly because a Social Security tax cut for workers would be deepened and extended to small businesses.
"Payroll tax cuts are very powerful," says Allen Sinai, chief economist of Decision Economics. "They provide a boost to direct income and, in turn, spending, which is important to growth."
Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, estimates that the president's plan would boost economic growth by 2 percentage points, add 2 million jobs and reduce unemployment by a full percentage point next year compared with existing law.
The heart of Obama's plan is an expansion of the Social Security tax cut, which took effect this year and is scheduled to expire by year's end. The tax cut now applies only to workers; it reduces their Social Security tax from 6.2 percent to 4.2 percent. Employers still pay the 6.2 percent rate.
Obama would renew the tax cut for a year and deepen it: He would drop workers' Social Security tax to 3.1 percent.
Under his bigger tax cut, an extra $1,550 would go to taxpayers earning $50,000 a year. The Social Security tax is imposed on the first $106,800 of taxable income. That means the maximum savings would be about $3,300 for an individual and $6,600 for a couple.
Obama would also halve Social Security taxes for businesses on the first $5 million of their payroll. The White House says 98 percent of U.S. businesses have payrolls below that threshold.
Zandi calls this a "creative" way to help small companies, which have struggled more than larger ones to recover from the Great Recession of 2007-2009. During recoveries, small businesses normally drive job creation.
"Something like this is much needed" for an economy grappling with 9.1 percent unemployment, Zandi says. "The economy is on the edge of recession."
Susan Wachter, a finance professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, figures that the Social Security tax cuts alone would add 1 percentage point to economic growth and create 1 million jobs next year.
Michael Hanson, a senior economist at Bank of America Merrill Lynch and a former Federal Reserve economist, predicts similar benefits. He thinks the additional jobs would lower the unemployment rate by nearly half a percentage point in 2012.
Such improvement, while just a start, could put the economy back on a "recovery path," Hanson says.
"You'd see a notable reduction in the likelihood that we would slip into another recession," he says.
The president's plan also takes a shot at long-term unemployment: Companies would get a $4,000 tax break for hiring people who have been unemployed for more than six months. As of August, the government says, 43 percent of unemployed Americans have been out of work for six months or more.
The plan would also extend emergency unemployment benefits; ramp up spending on public works projects; and provide aid to keep state and local governments from laying off teachers. Obama would pay for his program with future budget cuts.
Some economists caution, though, that some factors might blunt the impact of Obama's enlarged Social Security tax cut. For one thing, the tax cut would deliver only a temporary boost. It would expire at the end of 2012. Most economists foresee unemployment remaining high well after next year.
And though consumer spending accounts for about 70 percent of the economy, Michael Mandel, chief economic strategist for the Progressive Policy Institute, is skeptical. He thinks the link between consumer spending and job creation is weaker in an economy like America's that's highly open to foreign goods.
"If the payroll tax cut encourages consumers to buy more (imported) clothing, that's likely to create more jobs overseas than in the U.S.," Mandel says.
In addition, Paul Ashworth, chief U.S. economist at Capital Economics, says many taxpayers might save the extra money from the tax cut rather than spend it.
"In an environment where economic confidence has been almost completely destroyed, there is a risk that both households and small businesses will save a greater proportion of any windfall, particularly if they know the reduction is only temporary," Ashworth says.
The White House plan would also extend emergency unemployment benefits for another year. Economists note that unemployment checks put money in the hands of people who are most likely to spend it immediately.
That spending tends to boost demand for goods and services and give companies more reason to hire. The forecasting firm Macroeconomic Advisers has estimated that an additional year of emergency unemployment benefits would support 200,000 jobs in 2012.
Obama also wants $30 billion to modernize schools, $50 billion for road and bridge projects and a bank that would finance more public works projects.
The president's plan will likely face resistance in Congress. Republicans have opposed further spending and have pushed to reduce the budget and shrink the government.
Still, the Wharton School's Wachter calls Obama's plan a serious proposal that should be politically acceptable "across the board."
Menzie Chinn, an economist at the University of Wisconsin, would favor an even bigger jobs package for an economy that grew at an annual rate of just 0.7 percent in the first six months of the year and didn't add jobs in August.
He says he fears that Obama's plan merely makes up for the expiration of the president's earlier $862 billion economic stimulus plan.
Even so, Chinn says, the measures Obama proposed Thursday night "might prevent the economy from dropping below stall speed" — at which point it would be vulnerable to another recession.
Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Heck , I'm still waiting for tos to answer some simple questions myself and others have request of him/her.
For some it has been weeks and nothing but crickets.