obsevation from an old retired guy

island1fox

:sad: Car Wash !!!!
Same as PAS and many other elements. "LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY" Years ago when the entire fleet was washed everyday --- Look at the expense per car day then --fairly low ---now with all the "combo" jobs and additional car washers ----- look at the fleet ???? Everyone mentions expense as if all the "car washers " have disappeared. You would be surprised to know that many car washers in a five hour period --- now may wash 0ne or two cars !! Makes alot of sense ----Many of today's problems are related to the real District and Division managers that have recently retired in great numbers -----the "Baby Boomer '' --Generation ----Play Hard ---Work hard ---Make it happen and make it fun.
Remember the old car washer time cards -----on the back of the card every night the car washer wrote the car number down of every car that was washed ---- SELF AUDIT --EASILY CHECKED ---- Those days are gone.

rapidrandall

slow but sure
When they first stopped washing the trucks everyday they used to use a dust mop to clean them if they weren't too dirty and wash them when they were. Gradually washing has gotten less and less. I got tired of asking to have clean windows and mirrors, so I started getting a ladder, squirt bottle and rags and washing them myself before leaving the building. Man, did the center manager wig out. Only had to do that once and now at least they wash the windows everyday.

wyobill

I try and clean my windows when I fuel up. Our car wash sprays down my truck leaving dirt to run down
and water spots for the next day. Water spots are
permanently etched in the glass. Clean windows and mirrors
are saftey concerns that UPS ignores. Cost cutting over-rules
safley.

Dutch Dawg

Recent IE studies have indicated .00005 hr. could be saved daily on the wash if drivers are retrained during methods to rub against package car sides while exiting vehicle. Granted there is some risk involved while envoking this method on the highway side. To compensate for this, it is suggested rubbing port side of vehicle during exit once of every ten exits and then not on busy highways. An additional benefit of this method will be diminished enviromental issues on company property as now in all probability much of the waste will be carried home on the driver's jacket to be laundered offsite.

Note: 2000 man hours have been invested in this study compiling data, so in the big scheme of things it could be awhile before any real savings is realized. Oh my....

jlphotog

Our cars WERE washed every night. That is until or center manager left and the temp guy from another center was going over our budget. He fired the contractors that came in to do the washing. Not only did they wash the exterior but they would hose down the cab as well. And they did a really good job.

When the car wash people were fired, we went about two weeks without any washings. So it was set up with one of the two gas stations we use that we could wash our own PC's there. Then they had the night sort guys do the washing. These guys are able to do about a quarter of our fleet every night. (At the beginning they were really just moving the dirt around, but they are better now.) Between that and the guys that actually wash their own, I'd say about half of our vehicles are clean every day. But it always seems to be the same half. I'm lucky, I park three stalls away from the car wash so mine in washed almost every night. (TG because I really don't like washing it myself. Although it is a good way to get an extra 15 minutes in every day.) The people at the other end of the building are not so lucky.

SmithBarney

UPS NEW PAINT SCHEME (sorry I had to edit the image to protect the driver)

Just call it faded glory... ;) 1 month no car wash... I love the splatter patterns
over the UPS logo.
dirty300.jpg
dirtyups.jpg

SmithBarney

Car wash occurs inside, generally this car is never on the schedule to be washed. I always ask, when I was bringing it in, if it could be... response is
"its not on the list to be washed"
Doesn't help that the car doesn't return to the building before 9pm most nights.

over9five

Staff member
Our car wash (one lane, anyhow) was running tonight. 17 degrees. I went thru, my car was ugly dirty.
Couldn't tell how it came out, was a sheet of ice.