Off Job Injury During 30 Day

I’m currently in the middle of my 30 day driver probationary period.
I’ve been with UPS (preload) since Feb, 2020.

I have a knee that’s killing me. I injured it at home, slipped on a step.
I’m trying to tuff it out with R.I.C.E and 8 ibuprofen every 4 hours just so I can walk.

Is it a self DQ if I tell management?
What’s the best course of action here, do I have any options?

Thanks.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.

I’m trying to tuff it out with R.I.C.E and 8 ibuprofen every 4 hours just so I can walk.

Thanks.
If you're younger than 55, and you want to end your life (as you know it), try painkillers.

Any other course of action will provide you a successful outcome. You should tell someone in HR, or maybe the medical rep if there is one in the Center, or your supervisor or just somebody; so that you don't get hurt even further on the job or hurt someone else.

They could give you small sort or a lighter duty position maybe?

Thanks.
I would just be straight up with your boss and say hey a banged up my knee at home

Every area is different but I know if they DQ you the wait time is less to try again than if you DQ yourself

Nah
Every area is different but I know if they DQ you the wait time is less to try again than if you DQ yourself
@Sudz
We could use your input here

I won't get into specifics but I had an issue that I didn't want to qualify and not be able to go back to being part time with. I went to my manager with my steward and said I was gonna DQ myself, and he offered to check into whether he could do it instead so I wouldn't have to wait as long next time. So I'm ineligible for 1 year instead of 2 years.

I won't get into specifics but I had an issue that I didn't want to qualify and not be able to go back to being part time with. I went to my manager with my steward and said I was gonna DQ myself, and he offered to check into whether he could do it instead so I wouldn't have to wait as long next time. So I'm ineligible for 1 year instead of 2 years.
That's why I mentioned you because I knew you had a better answer than I could give
Thank you

Nah
That's why I mentioned you because I knew you had a better answer than I could give
Thank you

The bottom line is, don't kill yourself trying to qualify with an injury that could become chronic or long term if not addressed.

Get your union steward and go explain the situation. There are thousands of jobs out there, but you only get one body.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Thanks.

Tell’em you did it at work get yourself some of that easy TAW then bust’em for some disibility could be a very nice Christmas for you and
yo peeps

JJinVA

Id get a knee-brace and roll with it. I dropped a box of bolts from the top of the stack onto my ankle my first week in unload and it turned the entire bottom of my foot black. Im certain I ruptured something and/or broke my ankle. I nearly had to put vaseline on the sides of my shoes to slip them on in the morning because of how swollen my ankle was. Took 2 gel-cap Aleve's and kept going. My thinking was, if I report an injury this early on theyre gonna see me as being accident-prone and want to get me out of there asap. It hurt every day for the next 2 months

I would just be straight up with your boss and say hey a banged up my knee at home

Thanks, to be clear, I am still DQ’d even if it’s an injury that occurred away from work?
Would utility be an option or is it back to preload?

Nah
I am still DQ’d even if it’s an injury that occurred away from work

That's gonna be up to your manager/his manager. I've seen exceptions be made. Even my manager was willing to give me a week or two before continuing with my 30 days to see if it cleared up. I told him I thought it would be something I'd need to have x-rays for and would probably take months, so that's why I went the route I did.

If it happened on the job, that's a definite DQ though.

Thanks, to be clear, I am still DQ’d even if it’s an injury that occurred away from work?
Would utility be an option or is it back to preload?
They can DQ you for just about anything.
honestly your best bet would be to talk to supervisor say hey I really want to drive but I have all mishap at home and I bang myself up.
Good luck to you

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
If you're younger than 55, and you want to end your life (as you know it), try painkillers.

Any other course of action will provide you a successful outcome. You should tell someone in HR, or maybe the medical rep if there is one in the Center, or your supervisor or just somebody; so that you don't get hurt even further on the job or hurt someone else.

They could give you small sort or a lighter duty position maybe?

Painkillers? You could change this man's whole life chasing addiction with that suggestion! Kid, stay away from pain killers. Keep taking that ibuprofen and good luck with whatever happens.

Update: I ended up having to throwing in the towel with 6 days to go during the probationary period, I tried to work through it but I could barely stand or walk. It ended up being a hairline break in my tibia. I was out 7 weeks.

On return I was told I “timed out”, and to go back to preload and I’d be Utility driver. I’ve been back one week and no one has mentioned driving yet.

I’m really unclear on how with this works. Should I talk to the Union? Should I roll with it? Am I getting screwed over? What does Utility mean? What does it pay?
Thanks.

DriverNerd

Man that sucks. I know it was unavoidable, but still :censored2:ty. There's nothing you can really do about not qualifying. You didn't do the time, so UPS can do whatever they want. The union can't help you with this. You're not really getting screwed by UPS per se. Just crappy timing with everything.

On return I was told I “timed out”, and to go back to preload and I’d be Utility driver. I’ve been back one week and no one has mentioned driving yet.
That doesn't make any sense. Utility drivers are just drivers without routes - the ones that cover vacations, personal holidays, cut routes, etc. Maybe they meant seasonal or on call or another temp driving job like that.

Update: I ended up having to throwing in the towel with 6 days to go during the probationary period, I tried to work through it but I could barely stand or walk. It ended up being a hairline break in my tibia. I was out 7 weeks.

I’m really unclear on how with this works. Should I talk to the Union? Should I roll with it? Am I getting screwed over? What does Utility mean? What does it pay?
Thanks.
You got disqualified try again next year