Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
I just read one of Morelucks links, which was failing the world on food supply....

Sure, we can grow double or even the tripple amount of food and grains..... and then what ? Sink profits so low, that no one makes money ?
Even put American farmers out of work ?

Do you know in Europe, thay actually dump huge amounts of fruit and veggies to the dumpster whenever they have too much - just to keep the market price up ?

That's just how capitalisum works. Sad , but true.
Any over supply of goods, will make it worthless.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I just read one of Morelucks links, which was failing the world on food supply....

Sure, we can grow double or even the tripple amount of food and grains..... and then what ? Sink profits so low, that no one makes money ?
Even put American farmers out of work ?

Do you know in Europe, thay actually dump huge amounts of fruit and veggies to the dumpster whenever they have too much - just to keep the market price up ?

That's just how capitalisum works. Sad , but true.
Any over supply of goods, will make it worthless.
Make that 'worthless' comment to the refugees.

klein

Make that 'worthless' comment to the refugees.

Just take a look at Oil prices , it's not a worthless comment. It's supply and demand !
If oil falls down too far, OPEC reduces it's output. Goes to high, they increase output.

That's how farming works, too.
Canada has kept up with the food supply, and will keep up in the future. But, don't expect to be flooded all of a sudden.... because, again, it's supply and demand that keeps the price at a normal inflationary rate.

I'm sure California does the same, and doesn't want to plant/harvest double the oranges, only to get half the price for them !

klein

I don't need to attack my former employer ! You folks are doing a much better job attacking your CURRENT employer !
Don't you read the threads , which I mostly stay away from (UPS issues) ??? !!!!

I don't need to attack my former employer ! You folks are doing a much better job attacking your CURRENT employer !
Don't you read the threads , which I mostly stay away from (UPS issues) ??? !!!!

I`m sorry, touchy subject? Crack open a cold one and calm down.

klein

First posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:12 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:29 PM EDT

For the first time in almost a decade, Vancouver isn't considered the most livable city in the world, according to rankings by The Economist released Tuesday.
The city has slipped to third place, just ahead of Toronto and Calgary.
The annual survey ranks the living conditions of cities around the globe based on stability, health care, culture, education and infrastructure.
Vancouver has led the survey since 2002, when it tied with Melbourne, Australia. This year, Melbourne stands alone at the top of the chart, with a score of 97.5 (out of 100). Vienna, Austria, is a close second with 97.4 and Vancouver falls to third with a score of 97.3.
Toronto is fourth at 97.2 and Calgary is fifth with 96.6.

Still not bad - 3 Canadian cities in the top 5 ! :)

klein

Most blackouts caused by Tropical Storm Irene repaired in Quebec

By The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 1 hour 21 minutes ago

TORONTO - Hydro Quebec says it expects electricity that was cut of due to the remnants of Tropical Storm Irene to be fully restored today.
At the height of the storm on Sunday evening, about 248,500 customers in the province had lost power, but Hydro Quebec said that number had dropped to about 8,000 customers by Tuesday evening.
The utility says it expected most remaining blackouts to be repaired by Tuesday evening with more complex cases to be restored gradually today.

Police, meanwhile, will continue searching today for a 68-year-old man missing since his car was swept into a river northeast of Montreal.
The man was driving one of two vehicles that fell into the Yamaska River when a section of road collapsed.
The second driver and a passenger were able to make it safely to shore.

klein

Alberta enacts toughest distracted driving law in North America

The Alberta version of a distracted driver law may come long after provinces like Ontario, but it's probably the toughest in Canada and perhaps North America.The law, Bill 16, comes into effect tomorrow (Sept. 1) and sets out a $172 fine for texting or talking on a mobile device while driving to programming GPS devices or watching DVDs - all the usual suspects.

It sounds reasonable at the outset and the government defends it. After all, there' s no demerit points unlike Saskatchewan where a conviction will cost you four.

The law also bans eating, teeth brushing, shaving, hair combing, writing, sketching or applying makeup - all activities one would consider a distraction. But reading email in parking lots or calling home while parked in a drive-through would still constitute distracted driving in Alberta, and would even apply to bike couriers.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"eating, teeth brushing, shaving, hair combing, writing, sketching or applying makeup..."

This is what California drivers do on the freeway everyday......all at once!!!

P

pickup

Alberta enacts toughest distracted driving law in North America

The Alberta version of a distracted driver law may come long after provinces like Ontario, but it's probably the toughest in Canada and perhaps North America.The law, Bill 16, comes into effect tomorrow (Sept. 1) and sets out a $172 fine for texting or talking on a mobile device while driving to programming GPS devices or watching DVDs - all the usual suspects.

It sounds reasonable at the outset and the government defends it. After all, there' s no demerit points unlike Saskatchewan where a conviction will cost you four.

The law also bans eating, teeth brushing, shaving, hair combing, writing, sketching or applying makeup - all activities one would consider a distraction. But reading email in parking lots or calling home while parked in a drive-through would still constitute distracted driving in Alberta, and would even apply to bike couriers.

I just read the link, eating is not specifically banned as far as i can tell. As a matter of fact, they say drinking coffee or eating a snack is not a problem.

klein

And just so we are perfectly clear, Stephen Harper is still the Anti-Christ!!!!!

Harper trails Trudeau as best PM: poll

Stephen Harper is working up the ranks of history in the minds of Canadians, taking the second spot in the list of best prime ministers since 1968, according to a new Angus Reid poll.

Pierre Trudeau still takes top spot with 36 per cent of Canadians voting him as the best prime minister.

Read it on Global News: Global News | Harper trails Trudeau as best PM: poll

Babagounj

Strength through joy
oh, klein that pipeline has run into some problems.
One governor is concerned about it hurting the water table.
And the feds think it could hinder some beetles.

klein

It's okay, another pipeline to Canada's west coast is underway to serve China, since the US might not want our oil.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You see bhos has deemed you as foreign oil and the country must be stopped form import any foreign oil.
So his green projects { which are all money losers } can begin to work wonders.