Official! Is Your Center As Bad As Mine!

80GRAND

here Are Some Of The Problems At My Center!
in A Big City Where The Union Must Be Out Golfing With Hoffa And Management!

1 Drivers Reporting To Work As Early As 600 Am To Laod Thier Truck On Personal Time!

2 Drivers Pulling Add/ Cut Packages Off Other Cars On Personal Time

3 Drivers Sucking Up To The Dispatch Sup To Tell Him What Packages And Streets He Dosnt Want To Do!!

4 Fellow Drivers Telling Management How To Fill The Manning Sheet So They Can Be Extra For The Day And Go Home

5 Number 5 And Not Least

at Least 80% Of Drivers In Center Dont Stop For A Lunch

ps If You Can Afford To Give Big Billion $ Brown 42$ A Day God Bless You!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Re: Offical! Is Your Center As Bad As Mine!

3 Drivers Sucking Up To The Dispatch Sup To Tell Him What Packages And Streets He Dosnt Want To Do!!

sounds familiar....pocket dispatching. Instead of following loop detail and all that, have "the whiner" in the loop do everything they want and have the rest of the drivers revolve their routes around "mr/ms whiner".

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

sounds familiar....pocket dispatching. Instead of following loop detail and all that, have "the whiner" in the loop do everything they want and have the rest of the drivers revolve their routes around "mr/ms whiner".

Great answer, AND I AGREE, who cares , I dont know. who should care, is out of the hands of our sups.
The guy before me leaves all the air, he leaves 10 minutes before I get to my truck, then when I try to get rid of it, no one really knows whos it is, so they look at me like a slacker. Never do they ask...is this a problem.............my answer would be Heck no whats air from one more route, I only have mine and another total route, plus what this guy says he cant get.....no problem. And he has 20 more minutes to do it, duh.
The sups we have now, in fairness , not their fault, do not know anything about a loop. To them its like having 5 or 6 jigsaw puzzles, and trying to put pieces that dont fit into the closest piece that could. Loop concept never enters the equation. Their job is to get the pkgs out the door. Then they can relax and avoid the phone.
Ive taken the attitiude of someone on here, move slow, make dough. Ill bust my arse all day, when at 530, it hasnt been good enough, Ill make 42 an hour while those who put in 1/2 more of free time are driving home. No bonus here, so no incentive. I too love an early eve, but Im not giving it away. Ive worked too long to get here. And if they do not want to listen to rational input, then so be it. 42 an hour to sling QVC, and Hsn.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue

What are you doing about it? I mean besides moaning ang crying like all the rest of us who play it straight (I mean me too). I would love to change some of this.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

What are you doing about it? I mean besides moaning ang crying like all the rest of us who play it straight (I mean me too). I would love to change some of this.
Im not doing anything about it, I try to talk to them, but the whiners grab the attention. Im not one of them. No one really notices me, actually I cant grab the attention of a sup unless I yell like everyone else, and its not worth it anymore. I give them so little problem...............I dont whine, cry or get hysterical, as some do, I just say, I have so much, its the wrong stuff, I have too much commercial, etc? No one cares to fix it, tomorrow brings another day.
I dont have anyone to get home to, like kids, just a husband so I make dough. Thats the end to the dilemna I have found. Ive tried fixing the charts, its not that, its when a sup tells them I need five more stops, so they load it in my last residential are, that I get p'od. And its commercial. We have those add/remove splits on the charts and they are correct, but no one uses those, they just move what the driver next door doesnt want. Its a losing battle and frankly I have given up. The one thing I will do is tell them that I will do the hoody area before my commercial, so if you want it delivered you best make sure, Im light enough to do that. My whole route is hoody, but the split they give me they shot a paper guy for 18 bucks last week at 1130am, so when I have that areas, its early or not at all and the sup doesnt want to come do it, so they have switched to giving me more commercial, instead. Which as you guessed, something is going to get missed.
Here it is PEAK almost, and seems there is no peak planning anymore, just fly by the seat of their pants and hope and pray we do it. JMHO
Its just a job, they dont care, just do what you can do, and have the back up for why you cant. Its not worth the stress.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Right there with you Tooner. I never say a word in the morning about my dispatch. Then in the afternoon when they ask for stop counts and ETA to the building they find out how bad they screwed up. I have had several weeks of 11 and 12 hours overtime. They have finally started paying attention to my stop count now. When you have 4 or 5 drivers (out of 7) planning an 8 or 8.5 day and another running 9.5 to 10, they don't look too good on paper to their bosses. Personally I am not worrying about peak this year. You can only work so many hours in a week. I think I will enjoy having Fridays off! :thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Right there with you Tooner. I never say a word in the morning about my dispatch. Then in the afternoon when they ask for stop counts and ETA to the building they find out how bad they screwed up. I have had several weeks of 11 and 12 hours overtime. They have finally started paying attention to my stop count now. When you have 4 or 5 drivers (out of 7) planning an 8 or 8.5 day and another running 9.5 to 10, they don't look too good on paper to their bosses. Personally I am not worrying about peak this year. You can only work so many hours in a week. I think I will enjoy having Fridays off! :thumbup1:
yes isnt it great, the govt, and dot hrs finally come to the rescue!!!! Only good use of their powers I have seen. Lately.
And it is of course our fault the papers dont look good.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
I'm sorry I mis-spoke I don't whine and cry at work to supervison, but I do vent like on here and at mutual bit*h sessions with friends and coworkers. I was just hoping for some ideas on creating a level playing field:blushing:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thats why we are all here, captain. If only the ivory towers would read our thoughts, the most informative board about UPS on the net, IMO, maybe things would start to shake out. We all start at different times, and get in at staggered times, that this is most likely the best place for all of us to vent, so vent away...........They dont care at this point about a level playing field, they just want us out of the building and 1/2 their job is done. I dont know a fix, wish I did..

jlphotog

1 Drivers Reporting To Work As Early As 600 Am To Laod Thier Truck On Personal Time!

Funny you should mention that. (This will be a little off topic but still related)

Our ctr is so short staffed that there were a number of drivers showing up early to load their own trucks. As luck would have it, I have not had a pre-loader for about two months now, so it was necessary for me to do that. However I was punching in at 0600 and getting paid for it. So were the other 3 drivers that used to have the same pre-loader.

Just this morning we were told the two most jr drivers of the four of us are not able to do that anymore. We were also told, the two of us that have the most seniority of the four that our official start time is 0600 from now on. That's good and bad. I like the extra hours, but I also liked having the option of coming in at that time or not.

So now I am unofficially a combo driver. My wages better not reflect that.

By the way, our center is so messed up that our center manager now works the pre-load and starts at 0100 and is gone for the day by 1400.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
By the way, our center is so messed up that our center manager now works the pre-load and starts at 0100 and is gone for the day by 1400.

Right after I turned in my two-weeks, we were overstaffed and since I had to leave early anyway, they cut me. I was walking out and passed a Suit. The guy was yacking on his cell at the time. I made a smart-aleck remark, saying, "Leaving so soon?" He laughed and said, "Dude, I've been here 13 hours already!" Not sure who the guy was but his comment suggests Preload supe or center manager. -Rocky

happyboy

A quick call to OSHA will fix the problem of drivers working off the clock... Just call them up and tell them u see unsafe work conditions at your place of employment. when they ask what your talking about... Tell them

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
A quick call to OSHA will fix the problem of drivers working off the clock... Just call them up and tell them u see unsafe work conditions at your place of employment. when they ask what your talking about... Tell them

He's in Canada. Not sure what they have in terms of OSHA.

Nice size font, by the way. -Rocky

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue

Will that really work? I would love it! It has become the norm at our center for drivers to fix there loads off the clock. I am opposed to this on moral, ethical, philosophical, financial and possibly religious grounds. :w00t:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Will that really work? I would love it! It has become the norm at our center for drivers to fix there loads off the clock. I am opposed to this on moral, ethical, philosophical, financial and possibly religious grounds. :w00t:
Not to mention it is against union and company policy.

When I was a pt sup, I would kick drivers out of their truck until they were punched in. Some didn't like it. But I complained to the center manager and the business agent. The center manager asked the ba to get the drivers out, it took about two weeks to fix the problem (about 250 drivers in building)

happyboy

I have yet to call Osha about Off Clock workers in our Center But I am almost sure it would work. I have called OSHA in the Past when i was part timer, after weeks and weeks Of putting up with what i considered a saftey issue at UPS.. No one seemed to really be interested in addressing the issue Until i called Osha. The problem was fixed 2 days after i called them. The part time sup new someone called them.. he said something at the pcm about it.

DS

Fenderbender
I made it my strong point in my comments section of the ERI to bring the fact to thier attention that the operations report is false,because 80% of the drivers are up there loading,scanning and pulling cages off the clock.
I`ve told them over and over to stop it but nobody listens.

guzzi71

Can do it when I get around to it.
Nothing hurts them more to have to pay you for work you did not do.Log the dates and times of the off the clock workers,keep track of it with witnesses and then file a grievance for the time. This will get them out of there trucks and in the break room with the rest of us.