Ohio rider

Stonefish

Tragically Bubblehead, you are correct. Many of the people I speak with don't trust the company or the union. I am personally "worn out" from trying to "light fires" and at least get employees engaged in their workplace and future. Again....with 2/3 not even voting in a contract year is unbelievable to me.

Regardless of all of our differences here in BC (and I mean all users), the one thing that keeps me personally coming back is that I know I am communicating with individuals that care about UPS and our union. I'm really starting to believe that there is only a handful of us that does care.

Yes..yes..yes..yes..yes..yes.. to all six on your wish list. ........ with one more addition...

How about:

7) Each local union have a workers compensation attorney that will provide representation at no cost to the affected employee. I see far too many work related injuries where the worker is left on his own to fight a very difficult battle with UPS and their outside attorneys.

One more quick thought on that number 7. What happens when the member loses their comp case and sues the local because they are being paid by the local or is one of those people in your second sentence. We used to do pensions and was advised not to due to liability issues. The sad part is the union has to make sure they protect themselves because of those people. It's a shame.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One more quick thought on that number 7. What happens when the member loses their comp case and sues the local because they are being paid by the local or is one of those people in your second sentence. We used to do pensions and was advised not to due to liability issues. The sad part is the union has to make sure they protect themselves because of those people. It's a shame.

We have the member sign a waiver of liability to the local before they enact the privilege.
If they aren't willing to, then they can feel free to retain their own counsel at their own expense.
​I think it is an excellent idea.

Stonefish

We have the member sign a waiver of liability to the local before they enact the privilege.
If they aren't willing to, then they can feel free to retain their own counsel at their own expense.
​I think it is an excellent idea.

its a a great idea who is going to pay for it not all the locals are as big as ours and can afford it

C

chuchu

AnthRob......I've been thinking about your question for awhile now and I honestly do not believe that even 5% of UPS employees know what the Ohio Rider is. I'm slightly disappointed that there has not been at least some effort on the part of the Ohio locals to have a meeting to learn about and resolve any issues that employees have. At the very least.....all the Ohio BA's should make contact with the full-time and part-time employees in their area by going in the UPS buildings and informally talking with the drivers, preloaders, reloaders, etc.. Good....Bad...or Ugly.....let's get something done!!!

IMHO....the Ohio Rider did not pass simply because there are too many "ticked off" employees about issues that have nothing to do with the language in the OR. The OR results are simply saying FU...UPS. I feel that while it may be admirable to stand up to UPS......there is no winning THIS particular "battle"... Move on....and set your sites on the overall "War"..... Use the language we have to better your life and that of your family.
The Rider veto was purposely done for an escape hatch.
I know of one meeting with Local BAs and they said they were NOT going to open the Rider and they were going to just put it out for a re-vote.

I doubt if they send it back out before peak and let that "strike vote" issue hit the media. For a few years I was under the assumption that the union works for us. What a stupid notion.
The Ohio BAs need to get all the stray sheep back in the pen. Bad sheep, bad.

Stonefish

The Rider veto was purposely done for an escape hatch.
I know of one meeting with Local BAs and they said they were NOT going to open the Rider and they were going to just put it out for a re-vote.

I doubt if they send it back out before peak and let that "strike vote" issue hit the media. For a few years I was under the assumption that the union works for us. What a stupid notion.
The Ohio BAs need to get all the stray sheep back in the pen. Bad sheep, bad.

I agree with you they should work for the members or they shouldn't be there. But what's best is not always agreed.

​BTW how are you.?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
its a a great idea who is going to pay for it not all the locals are as big as ours and can afford it

I would propose that the cost be shared equally throughout the state, perhaps through the Ohio Conference.
I have recently contemplated the redundancy of having numerous Joint Councils throughout the state while we also maintaining the Ohio Conference.
Both entities receive a monthly per diem from dues collected.
Why not streamline the process and eliminate some cost and the multiple salaries that are associated with it?
The savings could possibly fund the whole program.

Stonefish

I would propose that the cost be shared equally throughout the state, perhaps through the Ohio Conference.
I have recently contemplated the redundancy of having numerous Joint Councils throughout the state while we also maintaining the Ohio Conference.
Both entities receive a monthly per diem from dues collected.
Why not streamline the process and eliminate some cost and the multiple salaries that are associated with it?
The savings could possibly fund the whole program.

It's an interesting concept. Let me know how that works out.

The colors you add to my words looks so nice:)

C

chuchu

​waiting for the snow
You must be 22-3: inside/inside. Lol. I have a country route. I hate snow. Some guys call it liquid gold because standard policing goes out the window. I call it a long day. I can't wait to retire from this boring job. My coworkers (most of them anyway) make it better but I'd rather be doing something to help others. Life's too short to waste in this stressful environment.
It seems like we exist just to tread water.
Probably not going to post much more on BC. You can always send a PM and say hello. You guys have a great weekend.

You must be 22-3: inside/inside. Lol. I have a country route. I hate snow. Some guys call it liquid gold because standard policing goes out the window. I call it a long day. I can't wait to retire from this boring job. My coworkers (most of them anyway) make it better but I'd rather be doing something to help others. Life's too short to waste in this stressful environment.
Probably not going to post much more on BC. You can always send a PM and say hello. You guys have a great weekend.
Nobody likes a bc quitter

C

chuchu

Nobody likes a bc quitter
Good one. I guess that translates to "I'll miss you"....or not. It just takes up a lot of time I need to be devoting to other things. I've got grandkids that need wrestled with. Not quitting totally. I'll still read up and laugh as you call guys "little girls" and skippy.

PS: In this 4.3 billion $ net profit environment the TA still sucks. :) Cldnt help myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one. I guess that translates to "I'll miss you"....or not. It just takes up a lot of time I need to be devoting to other things. I've got grandkids that need wrestled with. Not quitting totally. I'll still read up and laugh as you call guys "little girls" and skippy.

PS: In this 4.3 million $ net profit environment the TA still sucks. :) Cldnt help myself.
if ups made 4.3 million we'd all be in trouble.

Stonefish

You're addicted you can't quit