OJS certification & discipline for performance

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Its almost a fact that your SPOHR will increase with a manager riding with you for three days. I liken it to a jockey whipping his horse. If he's not whipped he won't run as fast.

If a manager rides with you and corrects 10 items over a 3 day period (documented and in the letter of record) how is that whipping the horse? Oh by the way the driver was in off the clock by 630 everyday, also did 10-15 more stops a day and reduced over allowed by .25.-.40 ??

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Its almost a fact that your SPOHR will increase with a manager riding with you for three days. I liken it to a jockey whipping his horse. If he's not whipped he won't run as fast.

If a manager rides with you and corrects 10 items over a 3 day period (documented and in the letter of record) how is that whipping the horse? Oh by the way the driver was in off the clock by 630 pm everyday, also did 10-15 more stops a day and reduced over allowed by .25.-.40 ??

3HrsOverAllowed

In our center we're dealing with the same "demonstrated level of performance" issues. A month or so ago our division mgr. had three drivers in the office and gave us a piece of paper called the "service provider re- training initiative". This paper outlines how the company plans on terminating drivers who fail to conform to their production standards. Being the job steward, I immediately faxed the paper to our BA who in turn notified the dm of the locals intent to file a charge with the labor relations board. Needless to say we've heard nothing else about it.

some1else

we had a couple of slow drivers that where being followed CONSTANTLY along with the max number of ride alongs. these drivers started to follow methods EXACTLY and where coming in over 9.5 almost daily. once they gave up and left them alone they havent been over 9.5 since...

bigblu 2 you

i dont think these performance issues should even make it to a panel.if there is no language except the fair days work/fair days pay then why would a b.a.or union official even waste their time jaw jacking with a sup about overallowed? yet we see this repeatedly and it seldom results in anything positive or reinforcing for the employee? i would like to see the current or next president blow this issue out of the water.speaking only for myself,ive had enough! id set on a picket line a month to win this one!

3HrsOverAllowed

In our center we're dealing with the same "demonstrated level of performance" issues. A month or so ago our division mgr. had three drivers in the office and gave us a piece of paper called the "service provider re- training initiative". This paper outlines how the company plans on terminating drivers who fail to conform to their production standards. Being the job steward, I immediately faxed the paper to our BA who in turn notified the dm of the locals intent to file a charge with the labor relations board. Needless to say we've heard nothing else about it.
Well, I spoke too soon. Today they had two drivers in the office for failing to maintain their "demonstrated level of performance". I informed the sup he has no leg to stand on concerning performance and that this is nothing more than harrassment. He obviously disagreed, and stated a warning letter would be issued to each driver. Since UPS wants to play hardball, we will play hardball. Our management team has a bad habit of doing hourly work that has been looked over in the past, but no more. I informed every driver what was happening for not maintaining SPORH, and to no longer let management get away with ANY contract violations. They want a war, they're going to get it!

brownrodster

Hey Bigblu,

I have never understood this. Every time I ride with a manager my SPORH decreases. I remember during my 30 days my sup decided to ride with me. I was on him about how much he was slowing me down. It was like dragging an anchor.

A long time after that a different sup was giving me my yearly ride and he actually told me to slow down! Several times. First and only time I've been told to slow down at UPS.

My driver helpers don't last long either. They can't keep up. I work them into the ground...

I think I would make a great UPS driver sup. I got hte methods down. I don't waste any time. I can show many people how to work smarter and go faster... I'm educated. Got me some degrees 'n chit. But I could never go over to their side. ha.

But I've always been very athletic. I have an extreme aerobic capacity. My walk is faster that a lot of peoples jog. I can walk up hill all day while carrying something heavy and I don't get winded or tired. I think I could have been an olympic race walker.

some1else

But I've always been very athletic. I have an extreme aerobic capacity. My walk is faster that a lot of peoples jog. I can walk up hill all day while carrying something heavy and I don't get winded or tired. I think I could have been an olympic race walker.

whats that song goes "mighty full of ourselves all of a sudden arent we" :wink2:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I seem to recall a driver around here getting fired about 20 years ago over production, but his was a blatant case where he was consistently able to demonstrate something like 15 SPORH while supervised and only 10 SPORH alone. This occurd over a long period of time and was far beyond the normal statistical variation that will occur day-to-day on a route.

I recently represented a driver who had maintained a documented average over 30 days of 14.2 SPORH and on the one day he was ridden with he did 14.75. His methods were good and he still came in 1.5 hrs overallowed. Management wanted him to "commit" to maintaining 14.75. I told them that a .55 SPORH increase on one particular day out of 30 was statistically irrelevant, and that the driver would commit to nothing other than working safely and by the methods. The matter was dropped.

.55...what a joke. Depending on your load quality and number of "cuts" that someone is given a sporh can be 2 or 3 off an average. Sorry to bring back this 3 month old thread but just wondering if anyone who posted here, of folks getting warning letters at their centers, have any new info on any of this?

SKAGITDRIVER

toss the keys on the table tell the suit you want his clipboard and you will watch how he/she delivers the route for the next 3 days should be an interesting conversation that morning but then again...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
toss the keys on the table tell the suit you want his clipboard and you will watch how he/she delivers the route for the next 3 days should be an interesting conversation that morning but then again...

then if they fall over with a heart attack or tweak their back pulling that over 70 out from under the shelf then guess whos the one thats going to be written up!!!ohhh...the joys of brown.

I just received a "warning letter" today actually. Earlier this month I had a ride along and my average SPORH was 17.12 Then three days later they looked at my SPORH and it was 15.95 Now today I got a letter stating that "..the results of supervised vs. unsupervised have been reviewed with you, and you had no reason for the drop in demonstrated proficiency in delivery and pickup methods..." later the letter goes on to say "...Therefore, i find it necessary to officially warn you. Future infractions will result in more severe disciplinary action up to and including discharge."
First off- the results were never "reviewed with me"- AND when the sup was riding with me he took out a stop watch and clocked me- yet at the end of the 3day ride along told me I did great! I dont get it... you cant get discharged for this, right? What should I do now?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did the supervisor assist you during your OJS ride? Is there anything that has changed on your area since that ride? Was the pkg car "tweaked" for those 3 days? Can you think of anything different between then and now that could account for the loss of 10 stops in 8 hours?

I am not an expert by any means on the NMA but I do see the company using performance standards for disciplinary reasons and I would have to say that they can indeed terminate for production. That is my opinion only.

Did the supervisor assist you during your OJS ride? Is there anything that has changed on your area since that ride? Was the pkg car "tweaked" for those 3 days? Can you think of anything different between then and now that could account for the loss of 10 stops in 8 hours?

I am not an expert by any means on the NMA but I do see the company using performance standards for disciplinary reasons and I would have to say that they can indeed terminate for production. That is my opinion only.

My sup didnt assist me- he rode my heels all day and used his stop watch on me to make sure I was going fast. The biggest difference was when he was on car with me he "cleaned up" my truck for me in the morning- made sure everything was in order- made sure i only had x amount of packages blah blah blah... then on the other day (when I was at a 15.95)
i had 50+ more packages thenon the three day ride along with the sup. I also had more heavy packages, ect.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My sup didnt assist me- he rode my heels all day and used his stop watch on me to make sure I was going fast. The biggest difference was when he was on car with me he "cleaned up" my truck for me in the morning- made sure everything was in order- made sure i only had x amount of packages blah blah blah... then on the other day (when I was at a 15.95)
i had 50+ more packages thenon the three day ride along with the sup. I also had more heavy packages, ect.

That is what I meant by "tweaked" and that can very easily increase a SPORH by at least 1 or 2.

Pump Up The Volume

I just received a "warning letter" today actually. Earlier this month I had a ride along and my average SPORH was 17.12 Then three days later they looked at my SPORH and it was 15.95 Now today I got a letter stating that "..the results of supervised vs. unsupervised have been reviewed with you, and you had no reason for the drop in demonstrated proficiency in delivery and pickup methods..." later the letter goes on to say "...Therefore, i find it necessary to officially warn you. Future infractions will result in more severe disciplinary action up to and including discharge."
First off- the results were never "reviewed with me"- AND when the sup was riding with me he took out a stop watch and clocked me- yet at the end of the 3day ride along told me I did great! I dont get it... you cant get discharged for this, right? What should I do now?
You own that 17.12 number, start documenting everything for your eventual termination or start making friendly with everyone.