OK, I have had it with the cheap crap!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have had an ongoing issue with the poor quality of the new Twin Hill made-in-China uniforms and today I wound up being totally humiliated. I had a female customer point out to me that the seam under the fly of my shorts....brand new ones mind you...had unraveled and come open. I have no idea how many stops I did with my fly open, and I am dreading facing my customers tomorrow.
This is not a case of a uniform getting torn. That kind of thing happens, and you just deal with it. This is nothing more than some tight-butt UPS bean counter trying to save a buck by ordering cheap Chinese crap, and as a result I wind up spending half the morning with my johnson hanging out. At least half of the Twin Hill uniforms I have gotten wind up blowing a seam or losing buttons within a day or two. They are pure garbage.
I wound up driving home, about a 7 mile roundtrip off of my delivery area, to get a new pair. I told my sup that the 20 minutes I spent doing this would be on the clock, not my personal time. That is around $15 worth of overtime, plus about $4 worth of diesel fuel, all because UPS is too darn cheap to provide a decent uniform. I understand the need to control costs and remain competitive, but the bottom line is that you get what you pay for and a quality, properly fitting uniform is part of the cost of doing business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have had an ongoing issue with the poor quality of the new Twin Hill made-in-China uniforms and today I wound up being totally humiliated. I had a female customer point out to me that the seam under the fly of my shorts....brand new ones mind you...had unraveled and come open. I have no idea how many stops I did with my fly open, and I am dreading facing my customers tomorrow.
This is not a case of a uniform getting torn. That kind of thing happens, and you just deal with it. This is nothing more than some tight-butt UPS bean counter trying to save a buck by ordering cheap Chinese crap, and as a result I wind up spending half the morning with my johnson hanging out. At least half of the Twin Hill uniforms I have gotten wind up blowing a seam or losing buttons within a day or two. They are pure garbage.
I wound up driving home, about a 7 mile roundtrip off of my delivery area, to get a new pair. I told my sup that the 20 minutes I spent doing this would be on the clock, not my personal time. That is around $15 worth of overtime, plus about $4 worth of diesel fuel, all because UPS is too darn cheap to provide a decent uniform. I understand the need to control costs and remain competitive, but the bottom line is that you get what you pay for and a quality, properly fitting uniform is part of the cost of doing business.

What did your sup say??? Thats funny, if you go off area you get busted, if you have a customer call you in because your schlong is hanging out you get busted...its a no win situation. Sober, so instead of ups spending 10 dollars on a quality pair of shorts that will last 3 years, they are spending 7 dollars for crap and then having to purchase them 3 times in the same 3 year period. Step over a dollar to grab that dime....way to go!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

McLeod

The first day I wore my new shorts..Twin Hill brand, the belt loop in the back broke. They are sooo cheaply made!!

soberups

What did your sup say??? Thats funny, if you go off area you get busted...
You dont get busted for going off area...you get busted for lying about it. Big difference. I didnt ask permission, I informed them of the situation and what I was going to do about it. Plan B would have been to drive 20 miles back to the building and hand 'em the keys. My sup didnt argue with me.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You dont get busted for going off area...you get busted for lying about it. Big difference. I didnt ask permission, I informed them of the situation and what I was going to do about it. Plan B would have been to drive 20 miles back to the building and hand 'em the keys. My sup didnt argue with me.

Can you explain that one a little more? Theres been some discussions on that here on bc and there are many different school of thoughts on that.

Big Babooba

This is not a case of a uniform getting torn. That kind of thing happens, and you just deal with it. This is nothing more than some tight-assed UPS bean counter trying to save a buck by ordering cheap Chinese crap, and as a result I wind up spending half the morning with my johnson hanging out. A

Obviously the Chinese designed the shorts without allowing for your American-sized johnson:wink2:

satellitedriver

Can you explain that one a little more? Theres been some discussions on that here on bc and there are many different school of thoughts on that.
Lunch was one issue.
Having your wang, dang in public is another.
I would have driven home and changed shorts, or stopped until the center team sent me a new pair. Period.
Ask me to get sells leads with that gang underwear thing going on.
Nope.

soberups

If for any reason I need to drive a significant distance off of my delivery area, I inform my management first.
There is nothing in the contract that states that driving off of one's delivery area is a terminable offense.
The people who have been fired for this sort of thing were fired for dishonesty. They were off their area and when confronted they lied about it. Had they been honest, they would still have jobs.
Dishonesty is a terminable offense and is not subject to progressive discipline. Informing your management of where you are going and why is not dishonesty. We have drivers who have been given permission to drive off area for doctor appointments or other issues that would otherwise have required a day off. Management is usually more than happy to let the guy drive the truck a few miles on his lunch hour for an appointment if it makes the difference between him coming in or calling in sick.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I feel your pain.....work inside now, but i have the twin hill and the cintas a couple years ago.....NO COMPARISON!!! The twin hill ripped along the sides of my legs within 3 work days of usage, for no reason except they're cheap and sucked ass. I'm a 32/32 (at the most), 150 pounds, not a bulging fatty......c'mon that's ridiculous.

Your story is really sad and pretty blatant. I know how you feel because I had it happen to me and I know it's happened to you and probably alot of UPS'ers (and whoever else is getting that crap they make)

*edit* oops, didn't read about the "size" part. forget that bulging comment :)

upsdude

Maybe Atlanta is listening. Ordered new shorts and shirts last week, Cintas products made in Egypt arrived on Monday. Other than cleaning sand out of the pockets, the garments fit as desired and the quality looks good.

Calm down, the sand comment was made up.

JustTired

free at last.......
Maybe Atlanta is listening. Ordered new shorts and shirts last week, Cintas products made in Egypt arrived on Monday. Other than cleaning sand out of the pockets, the garments fit as desired and the quality looks good.

Is that the new "camel-hair" uniforms? Someone told purchasing that when drivers wear them, they don't need to stop for water for weeks.
UPS drivers.......the 'new' beasts of burden.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Is that the new "camel-hair" uniforms? Someone told purchasing that when drivers wear them, they don't need to stop for water for weeks.
UPS drivers.......the 'new' beasts of burden.

That must be why the "Circle of Honor" drivers get the camel hair colored blazers!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I feel bad for you guys and the cheap stuff. I retired in January of this year and I still had few uniform shirts from the 90's when the UPS shield was embroidered in a nice golden colored thread, not a glued on patch. I think I had got them after a cost cutting measure resulted in the brown fabric turned ugly green after a few washings. I think the uniform supplier had to replace all the junk free of charge.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
UPS should do what Nike does, send a rep unannounced to the factory to make sure conditions are not sub-standard. I think it would kill our reputation if a story broke out in the news that our uniforms were made by a sweatshop who were exploiting kids (although I would not be totally taken aback).