Old-ish Guy Looking for Encouragement

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I can't wear UPS shorts without worrying about it falling out. Even in boxer briefs. You'll never know my struggle.
IMG_0229.PNG

DOK

I'm not giving one guy a 12 hour dispatch and another an 8 just because you have 32 years. If you don't like well, I don't know what to tell you.
I respectfully disagree here, and this is one of the problems with the company today, respect for the older guys. I just hit 30 years, when I first started I was the "rookie" who got screwed, it was just the way it was and you took it because you knew you'd be the veteran one day. Isn't it also written in the contract somewhere regarding taking consideration to an employees age? Not sure about that though.

It seems it's done a 180, the company is now afraid to screw the rookie for fear they will quit or call in sick the next day.
And it's funny, these younger guys think that just because they're drivers now they're equal in status to the veteran, wasn't that way back in the day. You were a rookie until year 15 or so.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I respectfully disagree here, and this is one of the problems with the company today, respect for the older guys. I just hit 30 years, when I first started I was the "rookie" who got screwed, it was just the way it was and you took it because you knew you'd be the veteran one day. Isn't it also written in the contract somewhere regarding taking consideration to an employees age? Not sure about that though.

It seems it's done a 180, the company is now afraid to screw the rookie for fear they will quit or call in sick the next day.
And it's funny, these younger guys think that just because they're drivers now they're equal in status to the veteran, wasn't that way back in the day. You were a rookie until year 15 or so.
So coddled. They cry if they don't know a route. Sups cave and fold like a cheap suitcase.
g5REBj.gif

The Driver

I drive.
I'm 36 years old, currently a part-timer with aspirations of driving package cars and eventually feeders. I expect to get an opportunity to drive sometime in 2018.

Only a handful of my coworkers are working towards becoming drivers, but of course they're all in their early 20's. Sometimes I have doubts about my plans and whether or not my body will be able to hack it over the long haul.

I'm hoping to hear experiences from guys that started later like me. Or perhaps you work with a dude who's still kicking ass well into his 50's?

Can anyone offer some encouragement?

Start eating healthy right now if you're not. I mean really healthy. Beans, greens, nuts, grains, fruit. This job is a high intensity workout and your heart needs to be able to work efficiently.

We had a guy start driving in his late thirties and has had a heart attack on route already. Be good to your arteries, work safe, stay calm, don't let management stress you out.

Snack

Thanks for the replies. My back's a little stiff in the mornings, but overall I feel good with no previous injuries. Working the night sort in addition to a full-time day gig is taxing at times, but I'm surviving. I'm really looking forward to the day I can go full-time at UPS and start getting PAID.

Snack

Start eating healthy right now if you're not. I mean really healthy. Beans, greens, nuts, grains, fruit. This job is a high intensity workout and your heart needs to be able to work efficiently.

We had a guy start driving in his late thirties and has had a heart attack on route already. Be good to your arteries, work safe, stay calm, don't let management stress you out.
Yeah, I would prefer to avoid the on-route heart attack. My diet could certainly use some improvement.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

IMG_0123.GIF

extranatty

The average age at my hub is about 50. The drivers are even older and there's 200 of them. If you survive Preload; you'll survive driving, 36 is nothing.

I'm pretty sure most of us are alcoholics and half of us smoke as well. I'm certainly an alcoholic, start drinking right after work, drunk by noon.