Old Time UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The old delivery notices were printed with brown ink on white card stock (before the invention of the sticky note), and they had a perforated signature card on the top end.

I made the front cover of the Big Idea back in 83' delivering out of an old bubbletop. If I can find it and scan it I'll try and post it. I was a good looking devil back then. LOL

You probably had some of those old delivery notices in your shirt pocket. Happen to have any pictures of the old delivery notices for old times sake?

spif91

You probably had some of those old delivery notices in your shirt pocket. Happen to have any pictures of the old delivery notices for old times sake?

I posted this awhile back....

12-jpg.1952

retired2000

how about hitting the max for social security. use to hit it around the end of oct every year. it was like getting a $20 raise a week.

what about the shelves in the pks that flipped up so you could get more stuff in your car.

CharleyHustle

A buddy long since retired would break out his UPS issue wool pants on the real cold days. They had a large square patch over the seat. He also had the shoe-string tie, called a bablo(sp), they had to wear. No short sleeve shirts when he started.

I remember morning breaks. 20 mins, No more than 5 drivers to a resturant. My helper would start in the morning at the building and stand all day in the step well. Packages were loaded in sections 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B ect...

trouble maker

What was the shipper # for fingerhut?? I remember going to a customers home one time with a tracer for a fingerhut package. Her front yard was like a dump, and while she is signing that she never received it, I look down and to the left of the porch it just happened to be that white fingerhut box with the same 3 digit ID #. LOL. That was when UPS paid any and every claim, just to keep the bussiness.:happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
Aldens, Spiegels, J.C. Penney, Fingerhut, Lands End, Eddie Bauer, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Avon, Shakley, all the tv shopping shows, all the excersize equipment (Nordic Track). There was a period in time that we (UPS) delivered it ALL. I always thought that if a driver wanted to be a crook he would know when a house was vacant because after delivering the AAA packages you knew the party would soon be on vacation- in fact if you met the customer they would tell you the exact dates they would be gone.

Dustyroads

Does anyone remember sneaking packages back into the building. There were a few favorite ways to do it. You could just put them in the "send again truck" with no service cross on them. Or, you could just put them in a parked 1000 that had about 500 pieces on it waiting to be unloaded. Or, you could just toss them onto the primary belt. The first center manager that I worked for was famous for asking country drivers to take packages left in the building, and "give them a ride". It was also a favorite dispatch tool of one guy who ran the preload for a number of years. If you were heavy, he might say, just leave them in your pickup load, I'll lighten you up tomorrow.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Signing off on the Call Tag and OTPU control log every night.

Turning in 4 or 5 grand in cash.

Running out of DOT hours...in September.

Bringing back 200 stops at 11:00 at night...in September.

"Stop counts" on little clickers hanging above the belt.

"Stop counts" that are off by 50 or 60 stops.

No shorts.

No summer shirts.

No jump seat for passengers or helpers.

KORE.

Yellow call tags.

Termination letters for failing to "make scratch"

Center managers that smoke in their offices.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

KORE--Keeping Our Reputation for Excellence

TLA--Talk Listen Act They used to take us to Friendly's for breakfast and review our performance and ask us for our input.

Consignee billing tags---I think I wore out the "9" button on those tags.

038-598 was Land's End

NHDRVR

All you old timers speak up.

I have been a UPSER for fours years now and a driver for three. I have driven trucks that are as old as my wife and used both DIAD III and IV. I have seen the old pads from paper just before the DIAD I. What do you remember. Have the bulkhead doors always been metal? Pad locks?

Have any pictures?

This is relative to the buildings we worked in, of course, but I remember the wooden bulkhead doors, delivering on paper, an old 1300 package car with air brakes that looked like it would tip over when you turned it.

I remember a driver telling me my 1st peak that he started driving in the 50's when all of the rules/regulations were different. He also mentioned that UPS didn't deliver past the Mississippi river ( is that true?) back when he started...

Most importantly, I remember 70 lbs. and under....Merry Christmas

NHDRVR

KORE--Keeping Our Reputation for Excellence

TLA--Talk Listen Act They used to take us to Friendly's for breakfast and review our performance and ask us for our input.

Consignee billing tags---I think I wore out the "9" button on those tags.

038-598 was Land's End

KOA - knowledge of area

rod

Retired 22 years
This is relative to the buildings we worked in, of course, but I remember the wooden bulkhead doors, delivering on paper, an old 1300 package car with air brakes that looked like it would tip over when you turned it.

I remember a driver telling me my 1st peak that he started driving in the 50's when all of the rules/regulations were different. He also mentioned that UPS didn't deliver past the Mississippi river ( is that true?) back when he started...

Most importantly, I remember 70 lbs. and under....Merry Christmas

I can vouch for that. I started in 1971 and we only delivered in states east of the Mississippi and the 3 west coast states Ca. Wa. and Or. I started the day North and South Dakota were added to our delivery area. My first job at UPS was running a 1965 Ford Econoline shuttle route between my center in Mn. and a newly opened one in Morehead, Mn. (yes there is a Morehead,Mn.) Morehead is on the the border between Mn. and Fargo, N.D. For the 1st week or so I would drive the 176 Miles over and 176 miles back - sometimes running totaly empty one way or the other but very seldom with more that a couple dozen pkgs.

Our center here is about 35 years old. We still have a couple of day one drivers working. I can remember when we didn't have intrastate rights, every thing we picked up had to leave the state to be delivered..although I wasn't working for UPS at that time.