(On Topic Only Please) Ever experience Stewards who appear more sympathetic to UPS than they do the employees.?

542thruNthru

Our steward talked a driver out of a 9.5 grievence because the steward "talked it over with the manager and WE decided not to file, it won'thappen again." When others of us bring up filing there always seems to be a "did you tell management first, you should of done that" kind of excuse or similar that he throws out to wriggle out of doing something. Kind of sus.... View attachment 393576

tell him you want a grievance form. You’ve decided you’re filing
My only question is, is this being blow out of proportion? Not saying it didn't happen just I know some supplementals require you to say something to management first before filing a grievance. For example I believe the central says a grievance must first be brought to the immediate manager before being reduced to writing.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I know an ex steward who said being one was a total headache. What you sign up for though. I’m sure people constantly come to you for petty things.

542thruNthru

I know an ex steward who said being one was a total headache. What you sign up for though. I’m sure people constantly come to you for petty things.
I'm friends with many stewards and hang out with them a lot. It's an understatement when people say it's a thankless job. Especially if you're from a local like mine where stewards still pay union dues.

Last edited:

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I friends with any stewards and hang out with the a lot. It's an understatement when people say it's a Thankless job. Especially if you're from a local like mine where stewards still pay union dues.

Yeah I feel you man. Also, if people don’t get their way they blame the stewards.

Thebrownblob

My only question is, is this being blow out of proportion? Not saying it didn't happen just I know some supplementals require you to say something to management first before filing a grievance. For example I believe the central says a grievance must first be brought to the immediate manager before being reduced to writing.
Here once your name is on the 9.5 list you can file at any time you’re over 9.5 after the third day. The first grievances is put on hold because we lost an arbitration case due to the language of the word “continually” put over 95. After your second grievance within that period You get paid for both 9.5s and all subsequent grievances. We are not required to inform management other than putting our name on the list.

Commercial Inside Release

I know some supplementals require you to say something to management first before filing a grievance. For example I believe the central says a grievance must first be brought to the immediate manager before being reduced to writing.
Yep. Gotta notify management, and give them a chance to resolve the problem. There's even an area for it on the grievance form.

However, 9.5 might actually be one time it doesn't really apply everywhere in the central, especially if you notified someone you are going to be over. But, as you can see management is manipulating the situation with the OP, and has the steward convinced the 9.5 grievance should be tossed out.

Someone there needs to meet with the BA.

FozziesDeliveries

Yeah we are under the central suppliment. I always felt me signing the 9.5 sheet was a public declaration of the issue. Dispatch keeps a list everyday for the week of who is over so i know they are aware.

Well more details on my previous story, the driver who wanted to file would not of normally been able to because of the restrictions on the 9.5 list but because we have saturday ground and a 22.4 all rpcds qualify for 9.5 and the manager didn't realize that and got caught with their pants down.

This story gets more ridiculous but i don't want to put too many details. Management has our steward wrapped around their finger.

542thruNthru

Here once your name is on the 9.5 list you can file at any time you’re over 9.5 after the third day. The first grievances is put on hold because we lost an arbitration case due to the language of the word “continually” put over 95. After your second grievance within that period You get paid for both 9.5s and all subsequent grievances. We are not required to inform management other than putting our name on the list.
Wow, I remember the arbitration but that hasn't happen here yet. We file and they pay. They try and delay but they always pay.

542thruNthru

Yeah we are under the central suppliment. I always felt me signing the 9.5 sheet was a public declaration of the issue. Dispatch keeps a list everyday for the week of who is over so i know they are aware.

Well more details on my previous story, the driver who wanted to file would not of normally been able to because of the restrictions on the 9.5 list but because we have saturday ground and a 22.4 all rpcds qualify for 9.5 and the manager didn't realize that and got caught with their pants down.

This story gets more ridiculous but i don't want to put too many details. Management has our steward wrapped around their finger.
I agree, when it comes to 9.5 there is no reason to discuss the grievance before putting it to writing. You're on the list and you were violated.

Bluefootedoobie

Damage Inc.
…makes me wonder, you get fired and the union realizes you made X amount of money for them over the years and they say: “oh, he will get his job back.” That’s 15 years…Well deserving or not but is it all about capital?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

…makes me wonder, you get fired and the union realizes you made X amount of money for them over the years and they say: “oh, he will get his job back.” That’s 15 years…Well deserving or not but is it all about capital?
How do hourlies make the union X amount of money other than by paying their monthly dues?