(On topic please) UPS made about 12.9 Billion Net Profits last year. I think they can give us the required water even when it’s hard and costs money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Don't get me wrong, its horrible what happen, but it's your responsibility to stay hydrated. If I need more water, I don't give a :censored2: about what my sups say, I'm getting more water. Drive to any building and get some more water. Take a break if you feel like you're getting light headed. It's not worth dying for your job.

I am curious to know if his water bottle was empty.

It's the mind games UPS plays. If he just didn't bring enough water with him, which happens, he should have been confident that he could have broken off, gotten some more water, and taken a break and cooled off without fear of losing his job. Yes, I understand that I don't know all the details, and I am willing to hear any other theories on how something like this happens. But from my experience, seeing guys anxiously looking at the over/under report every day, working off the clock, working through their breaks, it's pretty clear how this can happen. The company doesn't do nearly enough to combat that mentality, encourages it even, and people get hurt and die as a result.

AccidentProne

It's the mind games UPS plays. If he just didn't bring enough water with him, which happens, he should have been confident that he could have broken off, gotten some more water, and taken a break and cooled off without fear of losing his job. Yes, I understand that I don't know all the details, and I am willing to hear any other theories on how something like this happens. But from my experience, seeing guys anxiously looking at the over/under report every day, working off the clock, working through their breaks, it's pretty clear how this can happen. The company doesn't do nearly enough to combat that mentality, encourages it even, and people get hurt and die as a result.
Really his coworkers should break that mentality. Because I had that mentality when I first started and my coworkers told me right away how its done without hurting yourself for a company that doesn't care for you.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Really his coworkers should break that mentality. Because I had that mentality when I first started and my coworkers told me right away how its done without hurting yourself for a company that doesn't care for you.

My center has a major pro-company culture. I have been trying to combat it for years, but it's deeply ingrained. A lot of the older guys, especially, see the union as the enemy, even as they work themselves until they drop.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Don't get me wrong, its horrible what happen, but it's your responsibility to stay hydrated. If I need more water, I don't give a :censored2: about what my sups say, I'm getting more water. Drive to any building and get some more water. Take a break if you feel like you're getting light headed. It's not worth dying for your job.

I am curious to know if his water bottle was empty.
From California OSHA:
Heat Illness Prevention | Sufficient Drinking WaterHeat Illness Prevention | Sufficient Drinking Water

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
To add.

The company is really responsible to see that each driver has an adequate supply with them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
My center has a major pro-company culture. I have been trying to combat it for years, but it's deeply ingrained. A lot of the older guys, especially, see the union as the enemy, even as they work themselves until they drop.
This does seem to be a bigger problem than it should be. Thankfully not hint of it from my Local’s Executive Board.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all delivery drivers:

Generally speaking, On average how many hours are you regularly out there?

How much water do you have on your truck with you for your day’s supply?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
To add.

The company is really responsible to see that each driver has an adequate supply with them.
Wrong. The company is responsible to see that water is available for them. They are not responsible for drivers having water WITH them. That is the drivers’ responsibility.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Wrong. The company is responsible to see that water is available for them. They are not responsible for drivers having water WITH them. That is the drivers’ responsibility.
Please show me where this responsibility falls on the employee in the OSHA information regarding adequate supplies of water at the work site.

Do you even know how much water is an adequate supply?

I think many don’t.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Let me guess integrity is it going on and on about OSHA regulations? 😂
How is this comment advancing the topic?

You don’t have to visit this thread, you know what the topic is.

Is it fair that you just visit this thread to through throw shade at me or the topic?

This type of unfair posting can be very distracting.

If you would be so kind, please give me a break.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
Let me guess integrity is it going on and on about OSHA regulations? 😂

water on the brain

What else?

The idea that any government agency is going to save you is laughable. Although they may give UPS a fine that will be paid to OSHA not the person involved or the family.
How are these comments advancing the topic?

Is it fair that you just visit this thread to through throw shade at me or the topic?

I have never done anything to any of you except be different and have different points of view and reasons for enjoying the BC.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
How are these comments advancing the topic?

I have never done anything to any of you except be different and have different points of view and reasons for enjoying the BC.
Awwww

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Please show me where this responsibility falls on the employee in the OSHA information regarding adequate supplies of water at the work site.

I think many don’t.
So you’re saying then, that every morning management needs to go in every truck, multiply the weight of the driver by ounces of water they have there to insure they have adequate water?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Did you even read my post?
Yes. That is the reason for my reply which was:

I think many don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.