"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

PT Car Washer

No one has yet to ask about a driver who doesn't smoke being forced to work with a helper who does.
I had one last year for a couple days after peak was over. Also driver sups doing safety rides. What they do outside the truck when we take a break is their business. I also live in a smoke free work area state.

box_beeyotch

A helper is supposed to make a driver's day easier. Now you expect him to not smoke for hours because you don't like the.smell? I hope he dropped you back off at your meet point and left...lol

Drop him back at the meet point? I would've left his whiny arse wherever we were at after his first complaint.

Overpaid Union Thug

I bet the same people who can find a way to justify smoking in a package car (which isn't supposed to happen) and while a non smoker is with them are also the same ones that can find a way to justify skipping their lunch, riding with the bulkhead door open, stacking there next ten stops in the cab, running, refusing to deliver packages to apartment offices, well......you all get the idea.

box_beeyotch

I bet the same people who can find a way to justify smoking in a package car (which isn't supposed to happen) and while a non smoker is with them are also the same ones that can find a way to justify skipping their lunch, riding with the bulkhead door open, stacking there next ten stops in the cab, running, refusing to deliver packages to apartment offices, well......you all get the idea.

Yeah bs. I'm a smoker and I'll be damned if I ever skip my lunch and give away time to the company. If you smoke, you smoke, its not a habit you break over not, especially not for some half useless seasonal. A helper doesn't dictate what a driver does in the truck. Sorry, not sorry.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yeah bs. I'm a smoker and I'll be damned if I ever skip my lunch and give away time to the company. If you smoke, you smoke, its not a habit you break over not, especially not for some half useless seasonal. A helper doesn't dictate what a driver does in the truck. Sorry, not sorry.
The rule is no smoking. That, if common courtesy doesn't, is what SHOULD dictate whether or not you smoke on the truck. And if you truly don't skip your lunch then you have plenty of time to smoke OUTSIDE the truck.

S

selfcancelsignal

Hello, I just put in 9 hours today with a driver who chain smoked two packs of cigarettes.
When I was hired as a driver helper I informed the HR personnel that I am very allergic to the smoke from burning cigarettes and presented medical documentation proving I cannot be around it.

Today when I was picked up the driver was smoking as I approached the car for the days work at the pickup point. I informed him about my problem, and agreed to not smoke. Ten minutes in he begins to smoke again. I complain, he says he "needs to smoke to get through the day". I asked him to stop, he refused to stop smoking again stating " I need this to get through the day I have over 140 stops ".

I also felt threatened because when I began to have breathing problems and requested to be let out of the car to go home, he refused saying he needed my help and if I did not help he would not be home until 11PM. He was a very large, intimidating driver and I felt unsafe as he was very aggressive. He is a new package car driver with only one month on the job.

Are there rules about smoking in the cars? I was not told of the policy of UPS regarding this aspect during orientation. When I call in tomorrow I need to tell them I need a driver that does not smoke as I get very ill from it.

I would like some advice regarding what I should do to insure my safety so I can work hard in a safe environment. I work in Massachusetts.
From a non smoker, you have no business being a helper at UPS if something this minor bothers you so much.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
No one has yet to ask about a driver who doesn't smoke being forced to work with a helper who does.
My helper smokes, I dont and HATE cigarettes but if it makes the kid happy and keeps me from worrying about him showing up everyday then I can deal with it. $8.50 an hour deosent buy a very good employee

box_beeyotch

The rule is no smoking. That, if common courtesy doesn't, is what SHOULD dictate whether or not you smoke on the truck. And if you truly don't skip your lunch then you have plenty of time to smoke OUTSIDE the truck.

Yeah well we dont have that rule or at least none of us follow it nor is it enforced. The point is, if I want to smoke a cigarette I'm going to regardless of what you or any other jack ass tells me I can or cant do. Deal with it or get off the package car.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't smoke but I've had helpers that did. I do the same thing I do with a smoking Supe. I'll take care of this COD, good time for you to burn one.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
Hi all, I was able to be paired up with a non-smoking driver today. We did 9 hours and 320 stops. There was no issues at all today when calling the helper coordinator.

Thank you for the advice, I get very flustered and stressed when issues like this come up.

I told my story today to the driver as he was the driver I had the first day, a guy very close to retirement. We exchanged phone numbers so I do not have to deal with any other driver or the driver helper for the rest of the season. I casually asked him if it's true that seasonal jobs cannot lead to full time employment and he laughed it off saying drivers have more say in this than you think.

He said if I kept "working like the road runner" that he would "put the word in" for when I apply after the peak.

This is what I always wanted and I am elated. I was always told by my fathers friend who is retired car driver that UPS is a career where if you go full out all the time you can and will move up quickly. They only care about results and if you provide those results you will do ok.

I want to tell other driver helpers that the drivers CAN help you get hired after peak, the stuff they say at orientation that this cannot lead to full time is not exactly true. Drivers have more power than you think especially drivers who have 35 years and are near retirement like mine.

He gave me advice on the chain smoking driver calling him a "young buck who is going to burn out if he needs 2 packs a day to do just 140 stops" and to "not take any bull:censored2: from anyone, if you are reliable and bust ass and don't screw up "

I honestly never thought I could do this job beforehand but now I know I can, impressing the driver is key. The driver told me the reason why he is giving me his personal number " you save me time and in my career I have only had 7 helpers who took to this so quickly so you bet your ass I am going recommend you UPS needs people like you for the future, at least until drones kill our jobs"

I guess it was "girly" but I nearly cried.

Thank you all for the help and advice - you have made this woman very happy. You guys are all right and the reputation of this site is not accurate at all.

I will keep reporting my experiences for future driver helpers to benefit from !