One Thing We can Agree Upon

bbsam

Staff member
As I have worked out of every truck at my location,I will strongly disagree with you..How can it be more comfortable when you have you get out of the truck INTO traffic??Crazy windy days,when the door will dislocate fingers,shoulders..As usual to heck with Safety,as long as its economical..thats the First thing you referenced in your post...save a few pennys screw the worker,that how I see it..You are the model contractor.
Having delivered out of everything from a minivan to a 24 foot straight truck, I couldn't disagree with you more. In general, I will always go for the smallest possible vehicle.

dezguy

I don't have psa's. I have a CSA. But to tell you the truth, the routes that have the rentals are simply better suited for them. Routes with 40 to 70 stops and some bulk pickups. I could buy several old Express 700s but I doubt that would please either driver. Much colder in the winter, hotter in the summer. Far more comfortable overall.

I had to work out of a rental for about the first 2 years at Express and then again for about 6 months about 2 years ago. I will pick working out of a W700 every time if I had a choice between that and a Ryder cargo van. Getting in and out of the back of a Ryder however many times a day alone is reason enough to not want to work out of one.

bbsam

Staff member
I had to work out of a rental for about the first 2 years at Express and then again for about 6 months about 2 years ago. I will pick working out of a W700 every time if I had a choice between that and a Ryder cargo van. Getting in and out of the back of a Ryder however many times a day alone is reason enough to not want to work out of one.
Well maybe different people have different preferences. I would be more than happy to go with the 700s. Can pick them up cheap and we have an old school mechanic who knows them inside and out. But my drivers have driven them and never ask to have one permanently and are more than happy to get the rentals back.

dezguy

Well maybe different people have different preferences. I would be more than happy to go with the 700s. Can pick them up cheap and we have an old school mechanic who knows them inside and out. But my drivers have driven them and never ask to have one permanently and are more than happy to get the rentals back.

Perhaps. I don't know how old your drivers are but I'm not that old and just the idea of climbing in and out of the back of a Ryder, where the bumper is well above your knee, well that just doesn't sound like optimal working conditions to me. To each their own though.

CJinx

Oh I supposed Fred "promised" you those promotions.
I haven't been promised any promotions, I'll apply for and take them. I know the people and the jobs, and I have the experience and the education.

And if it does not pan out, I walk away with college degrees that did not cost me anything. Win-win.

vantexan

Beholden up to a point.
He also sits on the board of directors. The very one that decides on that compensation. The stockholders can change that membership with enough votes, (shares), but Fred and friends are still majority shareholders.

But everything they're doing is to get large Wall Street funds to invest heavily so that the stock price goes up, thus allowing them to cash in stock options for millions. It's not for nothing they have quarterly meetings with Wall Street firms. The atmosphere is cordial but very pointed questions are asked of them. The Board of Directors decides how much in stock options to give corporate officers as an incentive to perform. The officers then do all the "dirty work" that increases profits. The extra profits increase the dividends that attract Wall Street. They buy heavily, the share price is driven up, stock options are exercised, and everyone is happy except the rank-and-file who are left wearing barrels. The actual salaries of corporate officers are peanuts compared to what they can make in options. So yes, they are beholden to Wall Street. Maybe Fred S not so much, but better believe the V.P.'s and Directors care very much about pleasing Wall Street.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But everything they're doing is to get large Wall Street funds to invest heavily so that the stock price goes up, thus allowing them to cash in stock options for millions. It's not for nothing they have quarterly meetings with Wall Street firms. The atmosphere is cordial but very pointed questions are asked of them. The Board of Directors decides how much in stock options to give corporate officers as an incentive to perform. The officers then do all the "dirty work" that increases profits. The extra profits increase the dividends that attract Wall Street. They buy heavily, the share price is driven up, stock options are exercised, and everyone is happy except the rank-and-file who are left wearing barrels. The actual salaries of corporate officers are peanuts compared to what they can make in options. So yes, they are beholden to Wall Street. Maybe Fred S not so much, but better believe the V.P.'s and Directors care very much about pleasing Wall Street.

Look at the record of stock sales made over the last few years by the upper echelon. As you said, their compensation pales next to what they make off stock options, for which they get interest-free loans so they can purchase even more.

vantexan

Look at the record of stock sales made over the last few years by the upper echelon. As you said, their compensation pales next to what they make off stock options, for which they get interest-free loans so they can purchase even more.
And I've pointed out in the past that the biggest Wall Street funds are the ones handling 401k money. Management and Wall Street aren't only screwing employees, but they're using employee money to do it. If people want to fight back they need to stop the 401k contributions until companies agree to be more equitable. As long as they contribute they'll get reamed. I know people who've done well with 401k's don't want to hear that, but it illustrates the divide between those who get better pay due to better deals and those who are coming up, mid-range, who have to accept less and thus can't fund their 401k decently.

Serf

Vantexan is right. This is commonplace among the majority of Fortune 500 companies. What's perplexing is the amount of "rank and file" individuals who don't know or understand this.

Serf

A murderer, fraudster (is that a word?) and I agree .. he's hired thousands of "migrant workers".
Arbitrary would be the best all around word to describe the majority of your opinions. Proud migrant workers. I'm just like you, we both have four limbs and a pulse. Which is precisely whats needed to excel here.