One Thing We can Agree Upon

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Republican or Democrat, Conservative or Liberal, any religion, race, creed, or color, I think we can all agree on just one thing: Frederick W. Smith is an (edited.)

Last edited by a moderator:

!Retired!

The last thing on my mind when I'm on my route is anyone from management. And the last thing on my mind when I get home is work.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
MFE,
It never ceases to amaze me what you have to put on the internet at 10 PM, on super bowl Sunday.

!Retired!

Maybe, but he's a rich :censored2: and that's why we're working for him.
As he should be...he owns the company. If I owned the company, I'd be damned if my workers are going to tell me how to run my company. If you don't like it...leave. Others have left, so can you.

vantexan

As he should be...he owns the company. If I owned the company, I'd be damned if my workers are going to tell me how to run my company. If you don't like it...leave. Others have left, so can you.

It's a publicly traded corporation owned by the stockholders. He's the single biggest stockholder, but is beholden to the rest, especially those funds on Wall Street. They determine how much he and the other exec's cash in with stock options.

hypo hanna

It's a publicly traded corporation owned by the stockholders. He's the single biggest stockholder, but is beholden to the rest, especially those funds on Wall Street. They determine how much he and the other exec's cash in with stock options.
Beholden up to a point.
He also sits on the board of directors. The very one that decides on that compensation. The stockholders can change that membership with enough votes, (shares), but Fred and friends are still majority shareholders.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A Veteran, businessman, and provider of hundreds of thousands of jobs.

A rich man born with a silver spoon in his mouth, a cheat, a liar, and a killer. Being a veteran doesn't let him off the hook, and there are plenty of vets who went in to the service as scumbags and came out unchanged. Glad you think he's one swell fellow.

CJinx

and yet he is the head of the multi-billion dollar corporation for which we render services to in exchange for a paycheck.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
and yet he is the head of the multi-billion dollar corporation for which we render services to in exchange for a paycheck.
The thing is, that paycheck of mine seems to hold less and less of its value every year. I bet Smith can't say the same about his.
Naturally I don't expect us worker bees to make a fraction of what Fred does. Yes, it's his company and he's the head cheese. But for him to continue to get more and more ridiculously richer at the expense of his employees getting more and more ridiculously poorer.....well

!Retired!

You would do the same if you were in his position.
Beholden up to a point.
He also sits on the board of directors. The very one that decides on that compensation.
Like Congress.
The thing is, that paycheck of mine seems to hold less and less of its value every year. I bet Smith can't say the same about his.
Naturally I don't expect us worker bees to make a fraction of what Fred does. Yes, it's his company and he's the head cheese. But for him to continue to get more and more ridiculously richer at the expense of his employees getting more and more ridiculously poorer.....well
If you think he's 'ridiculously rich', what would you say if Bill Gates, Warren Buffet or Larry Ellison were your boss? I'm pretty sure the people in their mail room, loading dock, etc don't make $30/hour.

I'm not saying that the decisions made from the top are right or wrong. I'm only saying it's his company to run they way he sees fit. You don't have to like nor do you have to stay.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You would do the same if you were in his position.

Like Congress.

If you think he's 'ridiculously rich', what would you say if Bill Gates, Warren Buffet or Larry Ellison were your boss? I'm pretty sure the people in their mail room, loading dock, etc don't make $30/hour.

I'm not saying that the decisions made from the top are right or wrong. I'm only saying it's his company to run they way he sees fit. You don't have to like nor do you have to stay.

Hey, maybe they do (make $30 per hour). None of the 3 people you mention are Right Wingers like Smith, nor are they known for being abusive employers. The trouble with Smith is that he started out in the right direction and then reversed himself and began raping his employees. Maybe you don't go back far enough to know that this happened...but it did.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
The trouble with Smith is that he started out in the right direction and then reversed himself and began raping his employees. Maybe you don't go back far enough to know that this happened...but it did.
Exactly, and this is where the young new-hires have it all over the seniors who supposedly "got theirs". When we hired on, Fred was painting us a pretty rosy future if we'd just gave him our all. And so that's what we did, and in the end he bailed on us.
It's real easy to make flippant statements such as "you can leave"...not quite so easy to do when you're 50-something. What are we supposed to do?...start a new career at this stage in life? No, I have a retirement date set and that's it.

The young newhires today aren't being seduced with any such bogus pretences, so they have no excuse for sticking around and letting Fred's Funhouse drain them of the most productive years of their lives. Yes, THEY can leave...and damn well they should. sooner the better.

!Retired!

Hey, maybe they do (make $30 per hour). None of the 3 people you mention are Right Wingers like Smith, nor are they known for being abusive employers. The trouble with Smith is that he started out in the right direction and then reversed himself and began raping his employees. Maybe you don't go back far enough to know that this happened...but it did.
You won't many outside the company that think this way. Investors only want to know one thing.....Are you making me money? They could care less how it's done.
Exactly, and this is where the young new-hires have it all over the seniors who supposedly "got theirs". When we hired on, Fred was painting us a pretty rosy future if we'd just gave him our all. And so that's what we did, and in the end he bailed on us.
It's real easy to make flippant statements such as "you can leave"...not quite so easy to do when you're 50-something. What are we supposed to do?...start a new career at this stage in life? No, I have a retirement date set and that's it.

The young newhires today aren't being seduced with any such bogus pretences, so they have no excuse for sticking around and letting Fred's Funhouse drain them of the most productive years of their lives. Yes, THEY can leave...and damn well they should. sooner the better.
I wouldn't be considered a new hire and I'm close to 50 myself and been there over 14 years. And before you ask why I don't leave...I'm fine just where I am TYVM.