Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

quad decade guy

and you are certainly going to need it when you are digging through a touch screen to change air vent position. when i look at the used car buying guide from 2020, tesla only made 3 vehicles at the time...so whatever.

the touch screen is a gimmick. i know bc i used to drive rental cars, and bc consumer reports says the same.
Gimmick?

Wait.....dial up phones.......dial radios......the future....analog.....?

Maybe in China....where they are currently building 43 new coal burning power plants...

Say, maybe we'll go back to steam engines.....OMG.

rickyb

It's not about time or catching on. The economics are fundamentally broken and can't be fixed. The production and distribution of fuel cannot be economically solved. The question is already over.
famous american economist richard wolff extremely skeptical about cars.

Richard D. Wolff
@profwolff
World needs first-rate mass transportation because it is much cheaper, safer, ecological than individual cars. Car-making firms fear mass transport, so now push for electric cars to keep their profits. Musk saved their profits. Profit is capitalism's dictator.

wilberforce15

This is entertaining, but ultimately futile.

Electric cars are as inevitable as a replacement for ICE as the car was as a replacement for horses. You'll all be driving one. It's just fun to talk to folks who don't know that yet.

rickyb

Electric cars are as inevitable as a replacement for ICE as the car was as a replacement for horses. You'll all be driving one. It's just fun to talk to folks who don't know that yet.
so your saying poor ppl will be able to afford electric cars? r u denying the shrinking of middle class?

wilberforce15

I think we will get there someday. I just wish we had more companies working on the technological problems with it so we get there faster.
It's not a technological problem. The infrastructure is impossibly expensive for production and distribution. Electric 'fuel' already has an entire infrastructure built in the form of power lines and just needs more. Retrofitting any meaningful system for hydrogen on a society-wide basis is nothing more than a pipe dream.

DriverNerd

So many companies are ditching ICE either partially or completely in the near future, I would have to agree.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
So many companies are ditching ICE either partially or completely in the near future, I would have to agree.
I think ICE will exist longer than even I think. Without new battery technology electric semis seem stuck at 200 to 400 miles of range and that isn't taking hills and weather in to account. Batteries are big and heavy and don't scale well which leads to increased damage to asphalt and a dramatic increase in tire wear. We aren't there yet.

wilberforce15

I think ICE will exist longer than even I think. Without new battery technology electric semis seem stuck at 200 to 400 miles of range and that isn't taking hills and weather in to account. Batteries are big and heavy and don't scale well which leads to increased damage to asphalt and a dramatic increase in tire wear. We aren't there yet.
5 years ago, electric Semis weren't stuck at anything because even the idea of what we have now was unthinkable.

rickyb

Electric cars will be price comparative with ICE cars within the decade. Most poor people buy used cars anyway.
poor ppl wont even be able to afford used cars. it will be like a plane, you will pay for a seat for your trip.

the 1st world is increasingly looking like the 3rd world. the debts here are just insane and the job market is not very good.

DriverNerd

I agree that ICE will be around much longer in long haul heavy rigs until we have meaningful technology to replace them. I was replying specifically to a post about passenger car use.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
By the time these dinosaurs believe you, Tesla will be selling 10 million a year.
I am comfortable in my ICE vehicle, but when the time to change over comes it will be a Ford. As we can see from the Lightning announcement when Ford and the rest transition it will devour Teslas ev share.

wilberforce15

I agree that ICE will be around much longer in long haul heavy rigs until we have meaningful technology to replace them. I was replaying specifically to a post about passenger car use.
Yep. Full replacement of the big rig fleet will take a few decades. But it'll happen. Many changes will come together, and it won't all be from making electrics capable of a 1000 mile trip at 80k pounds. That may never happen. But supply chains, manufacturing, distribution, etc. can evolve to put different demands on the vehicles. One way or another, stuff is going away.

wilberforce15

I am comfortable in my ICE vehicle, but when the time to change over comes it will be a Ford. As we can see from the Lightning announcement when Ford and the rest transition it will devour Teslas ev share.
All other manufacturers are hopelessly behind in technology and efficiency. Ford cannot even hope to compete at this point. The stock pump and news bump from the announcement is just that - meaningless pumps.

Tesla has a supply chain, all the way down to materials, and purpose-built factories, that Ford can only dream of. And it's still the number 1 chosen destination for the nation's best engineering graduates. The gap is big and getting bigger.