Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

qdg2

Public concerns can have all sorts of costly and stupid outcomes. That might be one.

Humans kill 40,000 people on our roadways. Heaven forbid if a computer kills one.
Meaning, that will be ok?

Computers are designed by humans.....they are one in the same. Otherwords have the same limitations......with computers actually being ultimately limited more in so many ways.

wilberforce15

The biggest issue will be making it viable. Imagine for a moment.......these trucks negotiating a UPS yard/Hub....

Downtown at rush hour.....or any other scenario. We don't have self aware AI.

If these trucks can't drive/unload/ eliminate people....they aren't viable.

Imagine the amounts of space and costs that will be needed for these vehicles to have their own separate paths to keep them away from people and property. Or the sacrifice the public will have to make. Akin to trailers on flatcars really.
They can already navigate the yard, And they'll even be better at it when all of them are automated. Because then they can communicate with each other electronically better than you can with your partner by radio.

You only need humans to help with dollies and chargers, stationed at each endpoint. It would be useful even if it didn't eliminate jobs, because it is so much safer. But it will eliminate millions of jobs. Make no mistake.

wilberforce15

Meaning, that will be ok?

Computers are designed by humans.....they are one in the same. Otherwords have the same limitations......with computers actually being ultimately limited more in so many ways.
If every car on the road today were using Tesla's technology, and no humans were ever allowed to touch steering wheels even for corrections, road fatalities would go down about 99%...

Yes, the remaining 1% that computers still kill would be acceptable.

wilberforce15

I imagine that 30 years ago, the ignorant old guys were talking about how a computer could never make all the decisions to sort boxes and send them to the right places and all that jazz. How did that end up?

It is only a question of time. The technology already exists, and is already better. You can only hope that it'll take another few decades for the law to come around and for the technology to spread. But it is absolutely inevitable. I'm simply here to inform you of that fact. Because it is a fact. It is not a subject of debate. Whether it happens in 5 years or 25 years, it will happen.

qdg2

They can already navigate the yard, And they'll even be better at it when all of them are automated. Because then they can communicate with each other electronically better than you can with your partner by radio.

You only need humans to help with dollies and chargers, stationed at each endpoint. It would be useful even if it didn't eliminate jobs, because it is so much safer. But it will eliminate millions of jobs. Make no mistake.
Currently....pure homer folly.

I will say......your devotion is impressive.

wilberforce15

Currently....pure homer folly.

I will say......your devotion is impressive.
I have no devotion. I am speaking facts.

These trucks are already on the road, and this technology already has about 6 billion road miles under its belt.

And it averages 50 circle of honor careers between accidents.

vantexan

The biggest issue will be making it viable. Imagine for a moment.......these trucks negotiating a UPS yard/Hub....

Downtown at rush hour.....or any other scenario. We don't have self aware AI.

If these trucks can't drive/unload/ eliminate people....they aren't viable.

Imagine the amounts of space and costs that will be needed for these vehicles to have their own separate paths to keep them away from people and property. Or the sacrifice the public will have to make. Akin to trailers on flatcars really.
Look at the use of drones in the military. New technology to address problems has happened forever. Autonomous trucks don't have to do everything. People can work in yards to park trucks as they arrive. Trucks working in high congestion areas can still be operated by humans. But long distance trucking primarily on interstates can certainly be operated autonomously. As for unloading trucks I saw automated forklifts doing just that and putting those pallets on the appropriate shelf in a warehouse in Wisconsin several years ago. They had one man per 8 HR shift there to address any issues while these forklifts worked 24/7 with no breaks and no paychecks. The push is on to eliminate as many jobs as possible with AI, automation, and robots.

qdg2

I imagine that 30 years ago, the ignorant old guys were talking about how a computer could never make all the decisions to sort boxes and send them to the right places and all that jazz. How did that end up?

It is only a question of time. The technology already exists, and is already better. You can only hope that it'll take another few decades for the law to come around and for the technology to spread. But it is absolutely inevitable. I'm simply here to inform you of that fact. Because it is a fact. It is not a subject of debate. Whether it happens in 5 years or 25 years, it will happen.
Like liberalism/communism to me. Same sort of deal......saying one thing and reality being another. Yeah we have better tech.....but an automated hammer is still a hammer.

I'm curious.....as you eliminate your need for being here....will auto trucks continue their mission? Like in the movies?

Living in reality is ignorant and old.....pie in the sky sure sounds good...though. Give ya that.

wilberforce15

Like liberalism/communism to me. Same sort of deal......saying one thing and reality being another. Yeah we have better tech.....but an automated hammer is still a hammer.

I'm curious.....as you eliminate your need for being here....will auto trucks continue their mission? Like in the movies?

Living in reality is ignorant and old.....pie in the sky sure sounds good...though. Give ya that.
It's not pie in the sky. It exists now and is better than you.

That's reality. You have already driven next to a self-driving car. Routes are already completed without intervention.

qdg2

It's not pie in the sky. It exists now and is better than you.

That's reality. You have already driven next to a self-driving car. Routes are already completed without intervention.
It exists now...

Not in any meaningful quantity. Fact.

Shrug.

Like going to the Moon, Jupiter or even beyond the Solar System....

qdg2

Look at the use of drones in the military. New technology to address problems has happened forever. Autonomous trucks don't have to do everything. People can work in yards to park trucks as they arrive. Trucks working in high congestion areas can still be operated by humans. But long distance trucking primarily on interstates can certainly be operated autonomously. As for unloading trucks I saw automated forklifts doing just that and putting those pallets on the appropriate shelf in a warehouse in Wisconsin several years ago. They had one man per 8 HR shift there to address any issues while these forklifts worked 24/7 with no breaks and no paychecks. The push is on to eliminate as many jobs as possible with AI, automation, and robots.
Yes. In very tightly controlled situations. Just about anything can be done......Sure enough. Especially at the point of a gun.

Being human collides with tight control. Interesting thought eh?

vantexan

Yes. In very tightly controlled situations. Just about anything can be done......Sure enough. Especially at the point of a gun.

Being human collides with tight control. Interesting thought eh?
What may happen if enough people are put out of work is a lot of social unrest. Too often the human cost isn't factored in when big profits are smelled.

wilberforce15

It exists now...

Not in any meaningful quantity. Fact.

Shrug.

Like going to the Moon, Jupiter or even beyond the Solar System....
Yes ,not in any meaningful number.
Cars were rare in 1900. They'd taken over the civilized world by 1920.

Home computers were rare in 1990. They took over the world shortly after. Etc.

qdg2

2035, 2045, or 2055. I don't care which. Take your pick. These machines will dominate the roads.

Things that are better end up taking over.
OH?

History has proven otherwise....in catastrophic consequences. Black plague...Chernobyl....communism....to name a few.....coal circa 19th century.