OOPS

Johney

There was a seasonal in Fargo a few years ago that dropped both trailers in his set in the middle of the road leaving the building. Have to see if I can find the pictures. Willing to bet he tug tests in his new job now.
That I can see happening. I'll just wait for the official explanation from Mugarolla.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There was a seasonal in Fargo a few years ago that dropped both trailers in his set in the middle of the road leaving the building. Have to see if I can find the pictures. Willing to bet he tug tests in his new job now.
I tug test AND visually check latch, every single time. Granted I haven't been at this very long so I'm still a little paranoid, but it only takes 2 seconds, there's really no excuse.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's not necessarily a firable offense... I've seen it happen and driver is still working here..

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I tug test AND visually check latch, every single time. Granted I haven't been at this very long so I'm still a little paranoid, but it only takes 2 seconds, there's really no excuse.
Very few do the visual check. I've only seen in back in Minny in the winter. It wasn't impossible to pull off the door and go quite a ways before the trailer would start to slide. The grease is like glue below -15.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Pintle latch not pinned ??
Not chained ??
Rushed preteip by runner/gunner !
I can't figure that out either !!
I would assume the place where they hooked up the set was a decent proximity away from the freeway... I've dropped a box before and it happen about 10 feet from where I started...how would you get that far???

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Very few do the visual check. I've only seen in back in Minny in the winter. It wasn't impossible to pull off the door and go quite a ways before the trailer would start to slide. The grease is like glue below -15.
Drivers who deal with snow and ice earn every penny, I couldn't even imagine. We get icy roads every few years, I already decided I'm going to call in first time it happens. I'm a rookie coward and I'm totally ok with that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I do the visual every time, sadly the guys I see that don't are the old timers.
I guess they think if they slam into the trailer hard enough they are good... no wonder some of those guys have bad backs...I swear they want to try to break the kingpin....!?!?!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Easy to get complacent after a bunch of years

And I doubt those new panels on the sides don't make it any easier to get under the trailer.
It's all about the height...
at that temp the trailer breaks are probably frozen so they are just sliding the rear axle anyway...I'll still check under the trailer... friend it...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Drivers who deal with snow and ice earn every penny, I couldn't even imagine. We get icy roads every few years, I already decided I'm going to call in first time it happens. I'm a rookie coward and I'm totally ok with that.
They become pros at it. All of our feeder runs started in Fargo. Those guys and gals were just awesome. If the roads were open they were there and on time.

Frozen trailer brakes were my only complaints. You don't know how much life up there sucks until you're outside at 115 in the middle of December at -35 beating the hell out of the brakes so they'd release.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just don't use the jake break or cruise control and don't stomp the brakes.... you will be fine....

Johney

I would assume the place where they hooked up the set was a decent proximity away from the freeway... I've dropped a box before and it happen about 10 feet from where I started...how would you get that far???
You say you dropped a box, but a whole rear and dolly still attached?

Johney

They become pros at it. All of our feeder runs started in Fargo. Those guys and gals were just awesome. If the roads were open they were there and on time.

Frozen trailer brakes were my only complaints. You don't know how much life up there sucks until you're outside at 115 in the middle of December at -35 beating the hell out of the brakes so they'd release.
I'll just have to take your word for it on how bad it sucks, I'll never be in a position to find out.