OOPS

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I know you did this for a long time, but do you have data to prove that theory? Because I've heard stories of guys forgetting to put the pin in on the pintle and the dolly pop off yet never having the rear break away.
Nope, don't have any stats. I think it's just physics. A trailer full of volume weighing possibly 35-40,000 lbs coming off a pintle at highway speed attached to a tractor and trailer still going down the highway at 55+ mph being held together by 2 chains, 2 hooks and 2 steel loops welded to the back of the front trailer is bad news. Add to the equation that the rear trailer brakes might lock up if separated from their air supply.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Nope, don't have any stats. I think it's just physics. A trailer full of volume weighing possibly 35-40,000 lbs coming off a pintle at highway speed attached to a tractor and trailer still going down the highway at 55+ mph being held together by 2 chains, 2 hooks and 2 steel loops welded to the back of the front trailer is bad news. Add to the equation that the rear trailer brakes might lock up if separated from their air supply.
And ups uses the beefy dollys... some of the other trucking companies have dollys that look like toys compared to ups...

trickpony1

I wonder if that dolly is one of those that extends/retracts for aerodynamics and has a questionable service record?

I can't tell by looking at the picture.

rod

Retired 22 years
There was a seasonal in Fargo a few years ago that dropped both trailers in his set in the middle of the road leaving the building. Have to see if I can find the pictures. Willing to bet he tug tests in his new job now.

I ran the first loads to Fargo and back for a couple of months when UPS started delivering in North and South Dakota back in 1971. I see the service has gone to hell since I moved to a different route.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I can't imagine the chains wouldn't hold a trailer. Our trailers typically run light and the chains would have to be designed to hold 2 trailers since some locations pull triples.

Here is the spec sheet from Silver Eagle, they make our equipment.
Screenshot_20170610-065635.png

Integrity

Binge Poster
The authorities have not said what happened, I don't know why so many on this site want to act like management and cast quick judgement on this incident and and as a result his fellow driver.

I have no problem when management acts like this, knowing the management practices you can't expect much different. But fellow coworkers or union brothers? That is just not right.

I

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I can't imagine the chains wouldn't hold a trailer. Our trailers typically run light and the chains would have to be designed to hold 2 trailers since some locations pull triples.

Here is the spec sheet from Silver Eagle, they make our equipment. View attachment 138823

According to the FMCSA, the chains have to be strong enough to keep from breaking in case of separation.

It's a federal law. (I know, it doesn't mean they weren't defective)

49 CFR

Subpart friend—Coupling Devices and Towing Methods

§393.70 Coupling devices and towing methods, except for driveaway-towaway operations.

(d) Safety devices in case of tow-bar failure or disconnection. Every full trailer and every converter dolly used to convert a semitrailer to a full trailer must be coupled to the frame, or an extension of the frame, of the motor vehicle which tows it with one or more safety devices to prevent the towed vehicle from breaking loose in the event the tow-bar fails or becomes disconnected.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The authorities have not said what happened, I don't know why so many on this site want to act like management and cast quick judgement on this incident and and as a result his fellow driver.

I have no problem when management acts like this, knowing the management practices you can't expect much different. But fellow coworkers or union brothers? That is just not right.

I

Yes they have. If you would have done a little research, instead of just spouting off....

WASHINGTON — An overturned semi temporarily blocked lanes on northbound I-41 at State Highway 144 in the Town of Polk early Thursday morning, June 8th.

Sheriff’s Deputies and an officer from the Slinger Police Department responded to the scene around 4:30 a.m.

Upon arrival, officers located a double bottom tractor/trailer stopped in the right emergency lane. The second (rear) trailer was overturned but still attached to the lead trailer.

Both lanes of I-41 were obstructed with debris that had fallen out of the overturned trailer. The driver of the semi, a 50-year-old Milwaukee man, was uninjured.

Officers re-opened the left lane after manually clearing the debris. Both lanes of I41 were re-opened at approximately 6:26 a.m. after the trailer was moved into the shoulder. The Washington County Highway Department established an official closure of the shoulder to facilitate additional clean-up and removal efforts.

An on-scene investigation revealed the northbound semi was in the right lane when the driver lost control, crossed over the left lane, and partially entered the grassy median. The rear trailer struck a section of guardrail protecting the STH 144 bridge abutments. The semi re-entered the northbound lanes of travel, swerved across both lanes, and entered the east ditch line. The rear trailer then struck a concrete retaining wall/fence, and came to rest on its side partially in the right lane of travel.

No other vehicles were involved in the incident.

The matter remains under investigation by the Sheriff’s Office, but inattentive driving appears to be the main contributing factor.