Opinions on the same sex domestic partnership benifit package

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I received a letter from UPS saying that same sex partners of employees will be covered under the UPS health package. I dont have a problem with this ..... but how about hetrosexual life partners ? are they covered or do you and your GF/BF have to be gay to qualify ? anybody have any opinions on this ?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i want to legally adopt my dog and put her on thr plan,the vet bills are killing me!!! what is this world comming to!!!!!!!

dillweed

If they're legally married seems it would be fair. If not, anyone and everyone should be covered. Including the pets since we live with and love.

ups79

I received a letter from UPS saying that same sex partners of employees will be covered under the UPS health package. I dont have a problem with this ..... but how about hetrosexual life partners ? are they covered or do you and your GF/BF have to be gay to qualify ? anybody have any opinions on this ?

This during a period of time when benefits for health care are being reduced and deductibles are increasing, go fiqure.

paidslave

NO offense but it seems there are more of same sex in management!

Whatever floats your boat!

:teacher::you_go_girl:

here they are!

Oh well, health insurance is need by all!

pretender

Yes, I have a serious problem with this. Putting aside the moral aspect, it seems as though I have to fight for every reimbursement dollar--Most recently, I was denied $5000 on the second appeal, for dental work for my wife--based on a technicality. Nothing is ever paid on the first attempt--I really believe they try to wear you down, until you just give up...

Does anyone know if there is any recourse after a second appeal is denied?

Bad Gas!

For you parents of 18 year olds....They lose dental coverage at 19...You can keep medical until 21 if they are a fulltime student..Proof required...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Well, your heterosexual GF/BF doesn't have to be gay because you can get married (assuming they really are your life partner), which is a good idea because you reap all sorts of benefits beyond the UPS health care package like tax breaks, shared insurance, the option to use FMLA, etc. Gay people don't have that option in most states, and there is no legal requirement for UPS the offer health benefits in those areas. In this instance UPS is just looking out for their own people, which is the kind of behavior we ought to encourage and applaud.

HazMatMan

Well, your heterosexual GF/BF doesn't have to be gay because you can get married (assuming they really are your life partner), which is a good idea because you reap all sorts of benefits beyond the UPS health care package like tax breaks, shared insurance, the option to use FMLA, etc. Gay people don't have that option in most states, and there is no legal requirement for UPS the offer health benefits in those areas. In this instance UPS is just looking out for their own people, which is the kind of behavior we ought to encourage and applaud.
So if i'm gay and have a partner, the partner gets benefits? But if I am straight and have a partner, we have to get married in order for my partner to get benefits?? I'm confused.

paidslave

Yes I am really confused by all this now. Do I qualify....I am not gay and don't plan on being gay right now. But just in case I decide to be gay and let my ungay partner know about the coverage? What if my gay partner decides he is not gay anymore and just wants to be friends? Or realizes he is really straight or should be straighter?

I don't want to be in the dust on this one!

So excidinng that eveyone get coverage and no special interest groups are left out anymore!

stringerman85

So if i'm gay and have a partner, the partner gets benefits? But if I am straight and have a partner, we have to get married in order for my partner to get benefits?? I'm confused.

Exactly, Me too, The letter wasn't very clear...But I guess that's why it got tore up and tossed in the waste basket...Doesn't apply anyway :happy-very:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So if i'm gay and have a partner, the partner gets benefits?
I doubt it's quite that simple. I suspect that UPS will want to see ample evidence of a committed, long term relationship analogous to a marriage.

But if I am straight and have a partner, we have to get married in order for my partner to get benefits??
That's sort of the point. If you love your partner enough to want to spend your life together, you can get married and reap all the benefits. Gay people don't have that option.

I'm confused.
It's really not that complicated...

Upslady20

I believe UPS is doing the right thing by offering this as a benefit.. if straight people who are in a relationship choose not to get married and enjoy some of the perks that come with that piece of paper you cannot fault the company for offering the same benefit to gay people who would be willing to get married for this benefit. I think by standing up and saying they are in a commited relationship and saying yes were gay give them the benefit.. if at some point it becomes legal for them to marry and they choose not to marry then I would deny their benefit.. but until then I think they should get the benefit.

outta hours

We have a girl driver in my center that recently went to Vermont so that she and her "partner" could be married. That way her partner ( I mean I can't say wife or husband can I?:confused:)will have insurance benefits. They are expecting a baby in Sept. She is a funny girl who used to take a lot of days off,but now declines them saying she has a "wife" at home and a baby on the way.

JustTired

free at last.......
So, what sort of proof will be required? Will they have to show up at the center and hold hands for 5 minutes in front of the center manager?

I would say that if this is being offered to gay couples, then it should be offered to all couples who live together regardless of their orientation. Otherwise, I see this as discrimination. I see lawsuits coming.

Upslady20

Yes it is discrimination since they can't be married.. for those of us who are not offended or anti-gay I think we have an understanding of why the company will allow them medical coverage. And most gay couples in commited relationship have legal papers drawn up stating they are a united couple so when the other dies they are able to fight off the nasty relatives who do not respect the relationship.. Until they have the right to marry I think it is fair.. when they have the right then I am sure the benefit will be changed as it should be at that time..

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I guess I have alot of different feelings on this subject.
I could care less who sleeps or has a relationship with who for number 1, then I think about how far this could go #2.
If it was not needed before why is it now #3.
there were undocumented relationships for years.
I fear it will get to the point, that only the worker, and not the "family" will be covered.
For the segment of the society who has this dilemna, I dont think things should change to suit, them.
I lived with a man who didnt have coverage for years, should UPS cover him, I dont think without a document that he meant to stay with me; the worker, should entitle him to coverage.
I also think since it is not allowed in most states to recognize a gay union, should it be UPS choice to insure them. I think it was a bad move. If it is recognized as a legal union, then yes, insure them.
I still dont think it should be recognized, I still dont believe its the same.
i am not close minded, I just dont see it as the real thing. If it is to you, go for it, but I dont see it as the norm. Nor should you be covered for dallying in things not considered the norm.
I realize things change in the world, but I dont think this is one.
People fight long and hard to cover their familes, and you throw this into the mix, Insurance companies see their bottom end imploding. Where does it go from there? We dont know, they dont know. think for awhile we should wait until this issue is addressed and answered before we decide how to respond to it. JMHO

HazMatMan

That's sort of the point. If you love your partner enough to want to spend your life together, you can get married and reap all the benefits. Gay people don't have that option.

Gay Marriage Around the World

Updated: August 31, 2007

Gays all over the world are fighting for equal protection under the law, including legal gay marriage. Some may think granting civil, registered or domestic partnerships is enough- seeking to preserve the legal definition of marriage as between a man and a woman. But, did you know most civil, domestic and registered partnership laws around the world provide fewer benefits than full marriage? So in many cases, life-long partners are denied some or all of the rights of marriage simply based on their sexual orientation.

Read this comprehensive guide to gay marriage laws around the world.

Nations that recognize gay marriage:

Canada
In June of 2005, the Canadian Parliament enacted a law allowing legal marriage for same-sex couples.

Belgium
The second nation to legalize same-sex marriage in 2003.

Netherlands
The first country to grant gay marriage in 2001.

South Africa
South Africa became the fifth nation to recognize gay marriage in 2005.

Spain
Spain became the fourth nation to allow gay marriage on June 29, 2005.

US states that recognize gay marriage:

New Jersey*
New Jersey is the third U.S. state to offer same-sex civil unions behind Vermont and Connecticut. The new same-sex civil unions law, which goes into affect on February 19, 2007, grants gay and lesbian couples the same rights as marriage. *(Although same-sex unions in New Jersey are classified as civil unions, couples are granted the same rights as married heterosexual couples.)

Massachusetts
On May 17, 2004 Massachusetts became the first U.S. state to legalize same-sex marriage. The State of Massachusetts also issues licenses to gay couples from New Mexico and Rhode Island since neither state explicitly prohibits same-sex marriage.

Nations that allow same-sex partnerships or unions:

Croatia
Civil partnerships for same-sex couples have been granted since 2003.

Denmark
Legal civil partnerships have been allowed since 1989.

Finland
Has offered registered partnership benefits since September 2001.

France
Pacte Civil de Solidarité” (PACS), or “Civil Solidarity Pacts,” were instituted in France on November 9, 1999.

Germany
Gay couples can register as "Life Partnerships," granting lesser financial and pension benefits than marriage.

Hungary
Gay couples have been protected under common-law marriages since 1995; however they are not eligible for legal marriage.

Iceland
Since 1996, gay Icelanders have been protected under registered partnerships.

Luxembourg
Civil partnership legislation modeled after France's PACS were introduced in Luxembourg in 2004.

Mexico
Same sex civil unions were legalized in Mexico City in November 2006 and in the state of Coahuila on January of 2007, essentially making civil unions legal in all of Mexico (by law, each Mexican state must recognize the laws granted to individuals of the other states).

New Zealand
In December, 2004, New Zealand enacted legislation recognizing same-sex civil unions.

Norway
Since 1996, gay Norwegians have been protected under registered partnerships.

Portugal
Same-sex partners have the same rights as opposite-sex partners in common law marriage.

Sweden
Swedish same-sex couples have been able to register under domestic partnership laws since 1995.

Switzerland
Same-sex couples are given limited legal benefits with civil recognition.

United Kingdom
Domestic partners can register under the Civil Partnership Act. This legislation took affect in December 5, 2005 giving registered same-sex couples all of the rights, privileges and responsibilities of married heterosexual couples. The Civil Partnership Act applies across all of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

US States that allow same-sex partnerships or unions:

California
California provides domestic partnership benefits. The state legislature successfully voted in favor of legal gay marriage in California, only to be vetoed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. In March, 2005, a San Francisco judge ruled that the law banning same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

Connecticut
Although Connecticut defines marriage as between a man and woman, it became the second U.S. state to grant same-sex civil unions in April, 2005.

New Hampshire
New Hampshire, home of the Episcopal Church's first openly gay bishop, V. Gene Robinson, became the 4th state behind Vermont, New Jersey and Connecticut to offer civil unions. Same-sex partners were allowed to register for civil unions in January 2008. More on New Hampshire Civil Unions

Oregon
Under Oregon's new domestic partnership law gay and lesbian couples are eligible for all the state-wide rights and benefits of marriage. Oregon also outlaws discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Vermont
The first U.S. state to offer same-sex civil unions in 2000.

Washington
On April 21, 2007, Washington's domestic partnership bill was signed into law giving gay and lesbian couples many of the benefits of marriage.

Nations that ban same-sex unions:

Honduras
On March 29, 2005, the constitution of Honduras was amended banning same-sex marriage and adoption by same-sex couples.

Latvia
December 21, 2005 marked the day Latvian president Vaira Vike-Freiberga signed into law a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

Uganda
On September 29, 2005, legislation banning same-sex unions was signed by Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni. Penalties for gay marriage will be set in 2006. Under current law, homosexual acts are punishable by imprisonment from five years to life.

They do have that option. If they look hard enough for it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
So, what sort of proof will be required? Will they have to show up at the center and hold hands for 5 minutes in front of the center manager?

I would say that if this is being offered to gay couples, then it should be offered to all couples who live together regardless of their orientation. Otherwise, I see this as discrimination. I see lawsuits coming.
Thank God my Irish Catholic grandfather is dead,he would not understand this world ,guys married to guys,priest fondling children ,women married to women, no Berlin wall,planes crashing into buildings and liberals trying to understand their cause,Nancy Pelosi,woman possibly in white house,Japs playing baseball in America,and the French looking down at us . He would never understand!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
well here in the good old usa if you fight for something eventually it will become law. Until then, not.