Orian= the new EDD???

pretzel_man

Pretzel you seem like a smart guy and you obviously have a great deal of patience based on your posts here.

But I have to tell you, Sober's version of the reality that is UPS is exactly the same as mine.

They think they can micro manage the drivers on route like we are robots on an automobile assembly line.

You have the luxury of having the kind of employees that $30 an hour can buy you, let us make informed decisions.

Technology is a great tool, but they need to remember it is just a tool.

Re-Raise:

First, I agree that technology is just a tool and should be used as such. No argument from me. But....

We are on post 39 of a system that not one person here has seen. Are we are going to debate what is wrong (or not wrong) with a system that is in a learning stage. Being tested by 300 drivers so that those responsible can learn how to adjust it. Those drivers are providing real world feedback.

I do not know this system, but I know more about it than anyone here. I have seen presentations and spoken with those who are close to it.

People here are guessing what it does and making wrong assumptions. Since I do not know enough of the true facts, I am not countering each statement. But I can assure you these negative assumptions are mostly inaccurate.

Re-Raise

Re-Raise:

First, I agree that technology is just a tool and should be used as such. No argument from me. But....

We are on post 39 of a system that not one person here has seen. Are we are going to debate what is wrong (or not wrong) with a system that is in a learning stage. Being tested by 300 drivers so that those responsible can learn how to adjust it. Those drivers are providing real world feedback.

I do not know this system, but I know more about it than anyone here. I have seen presentations and spoken with those who are close to it.

People here are guessing what it does and making wrong assumptions. Since I do not know enough of the true facts, I am not countering each statement. But I can assure you these negative assumptions are mostly inaccurate.

I admit that it would be helpful for a cover driver for to have the trace adjust itself for them. I have done this long enough that I can tell by glancing at the DIAD board how I am going to run my route that day.

I make adjustments based on the air commits, pickup compliance, weather, bulk and all of the other variables that go into a driver's day. I can look at a list of addresses and picture the roads, driveways and house of each of stops.

This sounds like just another example of someone in an office who thinks they can develop a program that will make my decisions for me. You are right that we may be jumping to conclusions and I will reserve judgement until I see how they use it.

UPSGUY72

Re-Raise:

Wrong I have seen and used the system it is in the building that I just got bumped out of last bid. Rememberwhat happen when you ASSUME. The system is only as good as the information that is programmed into it and it take alot of man hours and on road ride alones to do it. I do the samething on a daily basis that ORIAN does ( rearrange my route) on my own with better results becasue I take into account all current factors ( ie traffic, construction, weather, package load configuration, etc).

As I said if we lived and worked in a perfect world where the routes where EXACTLY the same everyday it would be a good tool. But we work in a world made up off imaginary unrealistic numbers that lead to ( add/cuts, and cut routes) daily with the same add cut area going to different cars on any given day with no rime or reason.

pretzel_man

Wrong I have seen and used the system it is in the building that I just got bumped out of last bid. Rememberwhat happen when you ASSUME. The system is only as good as the information that is programmed into it and it take alot of man hours and on road ride alones to do it. I do the samething on a daily basis that ORIAN does ( rearrange my route) on my own with better results becasue I take into account all current factors ( ie traffic, construction, weather, package load configuration, etc).

As I said if we lived and worked in a perfect world where the routes where EXACTLY the same everyday it would be a good tool. But we work in a world made up off imaginary unrealistic numbers that lead to ( add/cuts, and cut routes) daily with the same add cut area going to different cars on any given day with no rime or reason.

You said that you have to push a button to have it recalculate the trace, right?
You also said that it is only saving money because it cut drivers and all the other drivers are overworked, right?

Those are two incorrect statements. Did I misread them?

UPSGUY72

You said that you have to push a button to have it recalculate the trace, right?
You also said that it is only saving money because it cut drivers and all the other drivers are overworked, right?

Those are two incorrect statements. Did I misread them?

So the sysbols that replace the schedule pick ups on my DIAD screen is my imagination and when you highlight it enter and the EDD gets recalculated is also my imagination ???

I said that the only reason they are saving money in whole is because they are cutting routes I didn't say the ORIAN program (system) had anything to do with them cutting routes.

My point is the system flawwed it doesn't take into account RESI or COMM stops unless specifically programmed to do so it basically works on location when rearraging the EDD. Meaning if my last NDA is on a street near the end of my route and I go to rearranged my EDD it is going to have me start doing the 8000 section of my truck first which will be RESI stops it might even work out to be that my 1000, 2000, or 3000 are put at the end of my edd.

When they do wholesale add/cuts and routes cuts The program will not compensate for those adjustments unless already programmed to do so. Which mean that every possible route configuration has to be programmed for each car in order for the system to work properly.

pretzel_man

So the sysbols that replace the schedule pick ups on my DIAD screen is my imagination and when you highlight it enter and the EDD gets recalculated is also my imagination ???

I said that the only reason they are saving money in whole is because they are cutting routes I didn't say the ORIAN program (system) had anything to do with them cutting routes.

My point is the system flawwed it doesn't take into account RESI or COMM stops unless specifically programmed to do so it basically works on location when rearraging the EDD. Meaning if my last NDA is on a street near the end of my route and I go to rearranged my EDD it is going to have me start doing the 8000 section of my truck first which will be RESI stops it might even work out to be that my 1000, 2000, or 3000 are put at the end of my edd.

When they do wholesale add/cuts and routes cuts The program will not compensate for those adjustments unless already programmed to do so. Which mean that every possible route configuration has to be programmed for each car in order for the system to work properly.

I do not think you are taling about ORION...

It does not work the way you say.

It does "some" of that, but not all of what you say.

I checked and there are a couple of sites in Massachusetts. I also checked, and it doesn't move commercials in the 1000 section to the end. It "can" have you do the 8000's while you are doing your air if that saves money.

If you tell me which of the Ma sites, I can check if they cut any routes....

UPSGUY72

I checked and there are a couple of sites in Massachusetts. I also checked, and it doesn't move commercials in the 1000 section to the end. It "can" have you do the 8000's while you are doing your air if that saves money.

I didn't say that the intruduction on ORIAN made them cut route they are cutting route becasue some desk jockey came up new stop per car numbers.

They have ORIAN in the PITTSFIELD, MA building go ahead and check.

Jonathan

Just another waste of money and has caused more problems in our center than anything.
Doesn't save any time, and sends you down roads that are nearly impassable. Just another hair brain idea from some brainless pencil pusher! You can't shorten roads, just another attempt to reinvent the wheel, they will never learn.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

So we get written up for not using methods and spending too much time in the car and you invent a system that suggests you do just that? Does anyone in the mgmnt of this company ever question anything. That will be the day I sit on 60 business while I'm running off resi's because my last air is in that area.

brownrod

I'm just waiting for the day that instead of UPS giving us what they think we need to be more productive they ask us what we need to become more productive and give us that. I think I'll be waiting forever.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I dont need to see it or even know anything about it to know that whatever advantages that it might have, UPS will not implement or utilize it properly.

When I started driving in 1988, we drove P-600's and recorded our deliveries with 50-liners on a clipboard. The preload used Alpha load charts and wrote sequence numbers on each package by hand with a crayon, and we peeled the tracking labels offof NDA and 2DA packages by hand and wrote the consignee info on each one so that the data could be key-entered at a later time.

I have seen and used every version of the DIAD. I was around when we implemented CACD (Computer-Assisted Controlled Dispatch.) I was around when we implemented PLD (Package Level Detail), I was around for the Remote Intitiative, The Team Concept, and then PAS/EDD.

Every single one of these new inititiatives either failed miserably or only achieved a fraction of their true potential not because they were flawed, but because the company mismanaged their implementation.

The UPS that I work for would invest $250,000 in a state -of -the art Maserati sports car with a world-class suspension and unparalelled power-to weight ratio...only to try and save money by buying $89.00 tires for it at Wal-Mart and then giving the driver 5 minutes of training in the parking lot before putting him on the racetrack and then not understanding why he cant keep it out of the ditch.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Pretzel you seem like a smart guy and you obviously have a great deal of patience based on your posts here.

But I have to tell you, Sober's version of the reality that is UPS is exactly the same as mine.

They think they can micro manage the drivers on route like we are robots on an automobile assembly line.

You have the luxury of having the kind of employees that $30 an hour can buy you, let us make informed decisions.

Technology is a great tool, but they need to remember it is just a tool.

Does anybody besides me wonder why this is?
Does anybody besides me notice that all he ever responds to are threads like this and posts contrary to the company line?
Has anybody ever seen him post anything light hearted or post on any of the more lighthearted theads?
I'm thinking he has an agenda here at the Brown Cafe.

Re-Raise

Does anybody besides me wonder why this is?
Does anybody besides me notice that all he ever responds to are threads like this and posts contrary to the company line?
Has anybody ever seen him post anything light hearted or post on any of the more lighthearted theads?
I'm thinking he has an agenda here at the Brown Cafe.

I was thinking the same thing. How does someone who is supposedly in charge of as many things as he claims to be have the time to respond on here.

My center manager barely has time to answer questions when you ask him to his face.

Pretzel claims to be in some obscure management position where he travels around fixing the dispatches and traces all over the country and overseeing the implementation of new technology.

Me thinks his job might be to dispense company propaganda. I am okay with that. I like hearing what the company thinks they are accomplishing from their cubicles.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I like Pretzel's posts. I don't think he has any more of an agenda than anyone else who posts here regularly.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Me thinks his job might be to dispense company propaganda. I am okay with that. I like hearing what the company thinks they are accomplishing from their cubicles.

I disagree. P-man is the real deal. We have had company shills come to the forum from time to time and he isnt one of them.